• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Been thinking of something in addition to my loved Shield 9.
    Something smaller than the Shield, which I found to be problematic in my search last summer.
    As the Sig 928 or 356 has been recommended, the Glock 43 came up on the radar,
    which leads to reading of the Glock 26.

Weight vs. capacity seems to be the dominant thing with a subset that I've read where
    the 26 is more reliable than the 43.
    I have trust issues with any semi-automatic, is why I use a revolver for CC,
    but have always been open to finding a reliable 9mm,
    which is why I have the Shield 9mm after trying out a dozen others either buy buying/selling or renting at the range.

There was a great profile on Armslist for $475 for a Glock 26 and other prices.
    The one here for $375 (if memory serves) sold very quickly, of course.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    A Glock 26 isn't smaller than the Shield, it's thicker in the slide and grip, so If size is the only factor then the 43 is a better option.

That said, the 43 is pretty much the same size as the Shield, if not slightly larger.

The advantage of the 26 really comes from the fact that it's a double stack and compatible with other Glock 9mm platforms. That means it will accept G19 & G17 mags. The 43 is a single stack and you lose that mag compatibility.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    As one who EDC's a P938, one of the Glocks might be a better option than the Sig, especially if you're coming from a revolver. The Sig, being a 1911 style firearm, requires training and practice to learn to reliably take the safety off when drawing. If you're not used to 1911 carry, then try the Glocks.

MCgrease identifies the differences between the 26 and the 43. I have a Glock 26, and it really isn't all the much smaller than my Glock 17 I carried in uniform, relatively speaking.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    A Glock 26 isn't smaller than the Shield, it's thicker in the slide and grip, so If size is the only factor then the 43 is a better option.
    That said, the 43 is pretty much the same size as the Shield, if not slightly larger.
    The advantage of the 26 really comes from the fact that it's a double stack and compatible with other Glock 9mm platforms. That means it will accept G19 & G17 mags. The 43 is a single stack and you lose that mag compatibility.

Exact feedback that I need and why I ended up with the Shield to begin with: I remember the 26 being "thick" in the pocket.
    Thanks so much for succinctly putting it, and in terms I understand, and w/o prejudice. :laugh:
    Since I'm a S/W fan and also a Ruger fan I wonder is there is something else before going to the more expensive Glock or being "forced" to look at the Sigs.

When I have time (hopefully next week) I intend to rent a bunch of 9s at Point Blank like I did with the .45s, just for fun and not just for a CC, but for a range 9mm as well (if anything can overcome my loved Shield).
    I can imagine I'll end up with my Shield unless the Beretta Nano takes its place, but the Shield had been reliable from the start while the Nano is "improving" with use. I know I'll never trust it for a CC even if it moves up to 1 FTE in 100 mags: great for the range, don't mind at all, but carry: that's why I have 3 revolvers (need to trim 2 of them, but I love them all). :laugh:

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    As much as I love S&W M&P's if there is any chance a significant other is going to carry use it I'd recommend the Glock anything.

A suggestion just to check out is the new M&P compact or the first M&P 9C. The 9C is sort of between size of a Glock 26 and a Glock 19.

My Wife had issued working the slide on a Shield but was fine with a Glock 19,26 and 42. And S&W M&P full size and 9c (And I'm a certified instructor for a LE Agency so I had lots of tricks in my bag that just didn't work for her, unless she was just doing what Wives do LOL)

As far as the Sig 938 as stated the safety is of concern on any firearm to learn but a small safety on a small gun is even worse. If your comfortable with a revolver noting wrong with that I carry one a lot. Unless you just want to change.

Good luck

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

MCgrease has got it spot on. I have a 26, and it's a great gun and carries pretty well for IWB, where having a shorter slide profile and shorter grip helps quite a bit. The story as he said with the 26 is mag and holster compatibility with the 19/17 Glocks. I would routinely carry my 19 in the winter, and then when it got down to shorts weather, etc switch to the 26. Same holster, same SOP for handling, could share mags, etc. I still have the 26, but largely these days at the expense of some capacity and the compatibility, I carry the 43 during the times I would have likely opted for the 26 in the past.

I have a Glock 26, and it really isn't all the much smaller than my Glock 17 I carried in uniform, relatively speaking.

I found the 26 much easier to carry than a 17, but that probably largely has to do with the style of carry, as it's the same width, but more compact in grip and slide length, but I get what you are saying.

OP, based on things I've seen you post, I would not say the 26 is for you. It is not a gun I would ever really consider a pocket carry, unless you are wearing cargo pants or something with some serious sized pockets along with a good pocket holster. That said, the 26 on a good belt with a good holster, is a great carry gun IMO.

If you decided to move beyond pocket carry, then you open all sorts of avenues up. I personally don't even pocket carry my 43. I like a good IWB belt carry, with pretty much anything I am going to carry. I've got too much other stuff going on with pockets (extra mag and cell phone front left, keys and pocket knife front right, wallet back left, gun on strong side belt line at about 5:00. ) :twocents:

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Anything the 43 can do, the 26 can do better, EXCEPT rectal holstering. I have a 43, and like it, but it never gets carried because I can hide the 26 just as well, and if I have to bring out the BB’s at a party, I may as well bring a bunch!

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I agree I have a G-43, I shoot it at the range, but my G-27 beats it with 10-11 rounds of .40, and a G-26 can carry 13, an unlucky number for most bad guys.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Here’s the lovemachine’s opinion:

I have a G43 and a G26. I have no opinion on the Sig, because I have never shot a Sig.

The G43 is nice for its size. It disappears. But because of its size, it’s harder to handle than the G26.

The G26 is certainly bigger. But it disappears very easily. It can take the larger mags from a G19 and a G17, which is awesome.
    IMO, it’s the better fighting gun between the 2.

I EDC the G26. I love the thing. With a good belt and holster, it disappears while I’m wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Plus it’s extremely reliable.

I do think you should rethink pocket carry. It’s not the best way to carry. It’s harder to draw, and I want my gun out as fast as I can if/when I need it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I quite enjoyed my Sig 938. Small enough to be easy to carry, but not so small as to not be enjoyable at the range.

1. That actually would be perfect.
    2. Having a carry nine and then having a range nine would not be any more expensive than having both in the same gun.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Since you don't have any Glocks the mag compatibility of the Glock 26, 19 and 17 is kind of a moot point IMHO.

The Sig P365 is smaller than a Glock 43 holds 4 more rounds in the magazine, comes with stock actually not bad night sights and is the same price as the Glock 43 with the Sig P365 being sold for between $500-$600 right now.

I have 500 rounds through mine (less than a week and with no cleaning) the pistol has been flawless , I took it to the local indoor range the other day to get it on paper and it turned into "shoot Dean's Sig day"! Everyone really liked the pistol. I can even carry it in my back pocket though I prefer AIWB

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    1. That actually would be perfect.
    2. Having a carry nine and then having a range nine would not be any more expensive than having both in the same gun.

Take that in the context of I never pocket carried. I’m not a fan of having anything more than necessary in my pockets.

This is one that you need to use the safety on if you intend to carry. Mine did not have a heavy trigger in it. I taught myself to disengage the safety by using it as a thumb test (it’s not big enough to do this as well as others), but it is large enough to disengage it and keep your thumb there.

I should rephrase my previous statement slightly. I could use my P939 as a range gun in that I wasn’t bothered putting 50-100 rounds through it each time. For some that would be a fraction of the ammo they use at the range. Given your previous posts on range visits, you would probably be fine.

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I have all three you mention in your OP. I normally carry a G17 OWB, but I have situations where I need to be more discrete so in those situations I pocket carry. For pocket carry, I've carried a Kahr PM9, G43, and currently the P938. Of those three I shoot the Sig the best. I can't really put my finger on why, but in every case where I've shot them all back to back, the Sig wins. And I feel its the most comfortable to shoot (of the Kahr, 43, and Sig). The Sig is smaller than the 43 so IMO pocket carries more easily. Due to size, the PM9 carried well too, but I never shot that gun well and I had problems with mags so I looked for other options. If you're intending to carry in a manner other than pocket then I would go with the 26 of those you mention. I should also mention that I've not shot the Sig P365 yet, but want to try it and compare to my P938.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    The ruger lcp2 is the best pocket gun out there imo. No questions asked. However it's a 380 with limited mag capacity. The glock 43 is to big to pocket carry. Even with just a flat mag. I have tried. I wear bigger pants with large pockets and I still don't like it.

I have a kahr pm9 and it's a great pocket gun. I run it with a crimson trace and nights sights. Mine has probably 1k through it with zero issues and I love the trigger. Its super smooth. I still carry it pretty regularly but........

Again the p365 is going to replace it. The only thing bigger on the p365 is the barrel. About a 1/4 inch bigger. And again big mag capacity difference in favor of p365.

Glock 26 way way bigger. And still doesn't have the capacity of the p365. With out adding extensions and stuff that makes it even bigger.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Make sure you don't get the process backwards: the solution is not to find a gun you can stuff in your pocket, then learn to shoot it. The solution is to find a reliable gun YOU CAN SHOOT...then learn to dress around it.

If you're pocket-carrying - or you can't find space to hide a G26 on your body - let's face facts: you're not really all that serious about carrying. You're trying to make a mouse gun fit into your pre-conceived ideas about what you want to wear.

I was once in your position. I found that the solution was to "man-up." There are 120 pound women who found ways to dress around bigger guns than the mouse .380s you're trying to stuff in your pocket.

Range-try the guns, find the one YOU SHOOT THE BEST, and find a way to dress around that gun.

(Hint: you don't look like a 120 lb. guy...out of the 3 guns you're considering...if you carry out a rational process of consideration...and the answer comes out anything other than the G26...you probably need to try again).

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Since you don't have any Glocks the mag compatibility of the Glock 26, 19 and 17 is kind of a moot point IMHO.

The Sig P365 is smaller than a Glock 43 holds 4 more rounds in the magazine, comes with stock actually not bad night sights and is the same price as the Glock 43 with the Sig P365 being sold for between $500-$600 right now.

I have 500 rounds through mine (less than a week and with no cleaning) the pistol has been flawless , I took it to the local indoor range the other day to get it on paper and it turned into "shoot Dean's Sig day"! Everyone really liked the pistol. I can even carry it in my back pocket though I prefer AIWB

I didn’t realize the Sig was smaller than the G43.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Make sure you don't get the process backwards: the solution is not to find a gun you can stuff in your pocket, then learn to shoot it. The solution is to find a reliable gun YOU CAN SHOOT...then learn to dress around it.

If you're pocket-carrying - or you can't find space to hide a G26 on your body - let's face facts: you're not really all that serious about carrying. You're trying to make a mouse gun fit into your pre-conceived ideas about what you want to wear.

I was once in your position. I found that the solution was to "man-up." There are 120 pound women who found ways to dress around bigger guns than the mouse .380s you're trying to stuff in your pocket.

Range-try the guns, find the one YOU SHOOT THE BEST, and find a way to dress around that gun.

(Hint: you don't look like a 120 lb. guy...out of the 3 guns you're considering...if you carry out a rational process of consideration...and the answer comes out anything other than the G26...you probably need to try again).
    Fine advice, but the OP rarely keeps anything long enough to be familiar with it much less proficient.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I didn’t realize the Sig was smaller than the G43.

In basically every way, I honestly don't know why someone would buy a g43 now

7nE2RKt.jpg

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom