• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    I drive at 3, but once I am out of the vehicle I move it to 4.

Yep, this, assuming I can do it covertly.

I have a G23 so I know what you mean. I'm just now starting to occasionally carry. At 4-5 it's fine around the house but for driving it's definitely uncomfortable. I think I print less at 4 or 5 though.

Prints less at 4 or 5, but anywhere I go I have to drive to get there, so it's kinda moot.

I guess its just me but I dont find it that bad to wear at 4 and drive. It seems like for me the gun sits well between the seat belt and the seat. Now if im on a long drive I will just put the gun in the console. To be honest the extra mag in my back pocket is what gives me more problems driving.

I have sometimes worn it at 4:00 and not been able to scoot it to 3 because of belt loops, etc., and sometimes it works out alright. Other times, ouch!

OK so after reading your feedback I tried giving carry another try. I went to meet up with my girlfriend for dinner at Brinkley's, wearing a shirt over my holster at 3 o'clock and just tried not to be too conscious about it, and also remembering that I have a license to carry responsibly. So anyway I went in and sat down casually, and was surprised later that my shirt had shifted, with the holster and grip showing prominently. There were people around and the 7 people sitting on the other side plus the waiters could have seen it but if they did they didn't say anything. I didn't draw attention to it and just nonchalantly readjusted my shirt when I got up, paid my bill, and left.

Still, I think I'll look into ordering an IWB.

:eek: I carry concealed with an OWB and this has never happened to me. Longer ****, maybe? Hike your pants up over your butt? :dunno:

I carry OWB everywhere. Covered by a shirt or jacket. If it prints oh well. Im a responsible person with a lifetime permit. My PPS .40 hides pretty well even on the outside. Nice and thin. Tucks right up against you.I carry at the 4:00 position.
    Im 5' 9" 240 pounds

This, too. When all else fails remember you're a responsible adult with a license to legally carry. I'm 5'10 155lbs, btw. Body shape will affect some of the advice.

I have an Ebay In pants holster and I love the damn thing. I personally like the in pants holster but the OC holster that comes with the XDm is SO much more comfortable physically but painfully mentally for me.

Nobody sees it OWB, don't sweat it :)

Just outta curiosity, why the 4 o'clock? (course if I'm going to conceal, it's going to be shoulder harness.....)

If I put it there, it is past my belt loop. Wouldn't that make it more challenging to draw if the holster is slipping back?

A good belt/holster combination will mean the holster won't slip. Any normal draw won't make the holster slip. I use the Glock sport/combat holster and it sure ain't going anywhere. GLOCK

I don't like 3 because I always bump it and the belt loops on my jeans are gay...I need new pants.

Reminder for everyone:

A GUNBELT IS A NECESSITY.

If you're using a "think leather" belt from Wal-mart or GAP, then that is probably making the gun flap around like crazy, whap your arm, knock into stuff, etc. Wilderness Belts are excellent cheap options (their frequent flyer belt is the one I use all the time). Beltman belts, Crossbreed belts, and similar ones are excellent, too. A Wilderness belt isn't much more than a normal leather belt so just break down and get one.

End of public service announcement.

You really have to make up your mind and carry consistently to get used to it.

This is what I did. And now I am used to it. :)

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    I have a DeSantis gun belt and love the thing. It was reasonable at $52 for the quality of the construction and leather. And on the plus side, my DeSantis thumb break holster fits it perfect. I carry a S/W 4046 loaded with 180 gr Federal HST HP.

INGunGuy

JPY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Muncie
    I carried at home for a while without telling anyone. Once I finally broke it to my wife that I was carrying, she was quite shocked. I figure if my wife doesn't notice in our own house, most people out and about won't have a clue, either.

JPY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Muncie
    Pardon my noobness, but what is the difference between a gun belt and a regular belt?

A stiff belt helps a tremendous amount by keeping the holster, and your pants under the weight of the gun in the holster, in place much better. I didn't believe it until I bought a 5.11 tactical operators belt. The difference was night and day.

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    Pardon my noobness, but what is the difference between a gun belt and a regular belt?

A gun belt is a lot stiffer and so it won't flop over or sag under the weight of the gun/mags, etc. They are designed and made to support the weight of a gun and do a much better job than a "thick leather belt" from a normal retail store. If you have a friend who has an extra one, ask to borrow it for a week and check out the difference.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Just keep carrying. In a few weeks you won't notice, unless you don't have it with you for some reason. Then you'll feel naked.

Wear around the house, also, if you don't already. The more it's on your side, the more used to it you will get.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Not to hijack...but do you guys that carry at 4-5 o'clock find it a little uncomfortable when you drive?

Not for me. At 4 o'clock the butt of the gun kind of tucks up againts my kidney, and sits there quite comfortably.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    for some strange reason 4 o'clock prints way more on me than 3, so 3 it is. but than again I wear a lot of affliction shirts which fit pretty tight so maybe thats the reason.

Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Hi everyone,

I tried concealed carry the other day and it was just plain self-conscious all the time. For one thing my arm kept brushing up against it (I use a hip holster) and I felt absolutely paranoid that someone would notice that the right side of my torso looked kinda squarish? Is there feedback you can provide? I don't wear tight shirts, but what do you guys do in terms of clothing? Thanks!

Haha i haven't been self conscious in the least. i just got my permit yesterday and have been open carrying it all over the place. :D I have only got one look so far from some old overweight guy at a local piercing place i go too.:ar15:

Fritz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I get busy and then don't really think about it much. A Sig 230 9mm short, so not very large in an Uncle Mike's tucked in waistband holster. There's a natural anatomy spot rather on the back side of the hip.

ntrngr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Sheepdog HQ
    I've been carrying for 30 years, but never in public. I've had a pistol strapped on in my life for years. Never had a carry permit. Was always around the farm popping varmints. I'm so used to guns, using them, being around them. Just got my LTCH a couple weeks ago. Holy Cow! I was so self conscious about carrying in public. I was just carrying my little chrome 25 in my pocket. Its hardly any larger than my wallet. It nearly spoiled the evening for me. ...and in Texas Roadhouse to boot.

I've been trying to do it as much as possible. I'm OK with it now. I mean, what was I afraid of? I guess its like anything else: the fear of the unknown.

Today I strapped on a holster, poked my Ruger 22/45 in it and headed in to Rural King. OC for the first time. Yep! You guessed it. I was nervous as a cat. But, the black holster and the black jeans, its just hanging out there in plain site. NOBODY NOTICED. Well, one guy did. But he was shopping for ammo and I got a nod and a wink and then we got into an "ammo hoarding" discussion.

Either the general public doesn't notice (like they don't notice everything else) or they don't care. Frankly, they are quite used to the blackberrys and cell phones. Maybe they thought I was just carrying a big cell phone. I think maybe "thought" had nothing to do with it. I think most people are oblivious to 90% of their surroundings.

Just keep forcing yourself to do it. Try to relax. Its definately 99% psychological. Good luck!

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Reading this thread got me started experimenting with the 4 o'clock position. I often ask my wife to tell me if I'm 'printing' in different outfits... I've always carried at 3 o'clock, and she has never said she could see it. At 4 o'clock and she say "I see it." I shift my weight, "how about now?" ... "I SEE IT."

At 3, my arm bumps it. At 4, it prints (apparently). maybe I should try a new belt (or lose some weight).

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I am right handed and usually carry a Glock 17 in a cross draw OWB Air Marshall Holster that I wear at the 10 O-clock point. It works well for me when setting in a car also.

Cross draw carry is not for everyone, but I like it.

indy77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I have a Glock 23 and CC in public. What I really want to know is what is recommended for how prepared should you be. One in the chamber ready to rock or just have it ready to rack back and put one in the chamber when needed?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I have a Glock 23 and CC in public. What I really want to know is what is recommended for how prepared should you be. One in the chamber ready to rock or just have it ready to rack back and put one in the chamber when needed?

That is a whole nother thread right there. Depends on your views and how comfortable you are with your firearm. I know several people who carry with an empty chamber. I also know people who are locked and cocked. Just remember treat ALL guns as if they were loaded and you will be all right. :D

NWI40cal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Hammond
    To be honest the extra mag in my back pocket is what gives me more problems driving.

What a pain in the ass, right? I need to find a new way to carry my spares. I like the (wanna say) fobus XD mag holster, prometheus carries it well, and it looks SO much nicer than just strapping on the v-shaped Springfield mag carrier.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

Only 99% think that carrying with a round chambered is a good idea.
    The other 1% used to be 2% but half of them didn't get a round chambered by the time they needed it.;)

Just sayin'...

Top Bottom