• ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Welcome to INGO!

I gotta agree with wearing it around the house to get used to it. I do not have my LTCH yet (SOON I hope, ugh!) so I am wearing my Bersa in a OWB holster at around 4 o'clock. I also have a pocket holster that works really well in the lower pocket of cargo pants.

Hopefully all this "practice" will make my first day out in the world more comfortable, lol.

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    +1

When I started to carry, I felt like I was wearing a neon orange vest or something as glaringly obvious. I've been carrying for about 6 months now and feel lost without it. You get used to that hunk of steel on your hip.
    I notice it more when it's not there.

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    Congrats and Welcome to INGO. Like you, I started carrying about a year ago. This site is very helpful and is a useful tool in searching for information.

So, I am 6' 140 lbs. Normally I carry a 4 inch 1911 in an IWB behind my left hip(lefty).

When I do this, I usually am wearing a button down shirt, untucked. If someone sees my pistol, that's fine. It is my right.

Or, I sometimes wear a shirt tucked in and then wear a jacket. Being summertime, I would invest in a comfortable IWB and some shirts that you can wear untucked. And, if you see some chicks staring at you, don't assume they are stearing at your firearm.

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    Not to hijack...but do you guys that carry at 4-5 o'clock find it a little uncomfortable when you drive?

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Not to hijack...but do you guys that carry at 4-5 o'clock find it a little uncomfortable when you drive?

I havent driven and carried yet, but sitting at the dinner table, computer chair, etc seem pretty comfortable. At 4 o'clock it is far enough forward to not be sitting on it, and far enough back not to hit the arms of the chair.

I will let you know about driving when I get my LTCH! :)

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN

This is why I usually carry at 3 -- Everywhere I go I'm driving or sitting. At 4-5 it's very uncomfortable. Sometimes if I'm going to be standing for a while and if I get the chance, I'll slide my belt around 2-3 inches so it's around closer to 4:30. It is a little more comfortable that way for standing. The reality is that as long as your shirt isn't tight then nobody is going to notice except other people who carry. I started carrying last fall and I found wearing a jacket really calmed my nerves. I knew nobody could see anything through the jacket so whenever I got nervous I could remind myself of that.

As things get warmer its going to get harder for me to carry since my G19 does print quite a bit on most of my t-shirts. Gonna have to go through the wardrobe and see what works and what doesn't.

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    This is why I usually carry at 3 -- Everywhere I go I'm driving or sitting. At 4-5 it's very uncomfortable. Sometimes if I'm going to be standing for a while and if I get the chance, I'll slide my belt around 2-3 inches so it's around closer to 4:30. It is a little more comfortable that way for standing. The reality is that as long as your shirt isn't tight then nobody is going to notice except other people who carry. I started carrying last fall and I found wearing a jacket really calmed my nerves. I knew nobody could see anything through the jacket so whenever I got nervous I could remind myself of that.

As things get warmer its going to get harder for me to carry since my G19 does print quite a bit on most of my t-shirts. Gonna have to go through the wardrobe and see what works and what doesn't.

I have a G23 so I know what you mean. I'm just now starting to occasionally carry. At 4-5 it's fine around the house but for driving it's definitely uncomfortable. I think I print less at 4 or 5 though.

Mikeh82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    I guess its just me but I dont find it that bad to wear at 4 and drive. It seems like for me the gun sits well between the seat belt and the seat. Now if im on a long drive I will just put the gun in the console. To be honest the extra mag in my back pocket is what gives me more problems driving.

tomc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Indianapolis
    OK so after reading your feedback I tried giving carry another try. I went to meet up with my girlfriend for dinner at Brinkley's, wearing a shirt over my holster at 3 o'clock and just tried not to be too conscious about it, and also remembering that I have a license to carry responsibly. So anyway I went in and sat down casually, and was surprised later that my shirt had shifted, with the holster and grip showing prominently. There were people around and the 7 people sitting on the other side plus the waiters could have seen it but if they did they didn't say anything. I didn't draw attention to it and just nonchalantly readjusted my shirt when I got up, paid my bill, and left.

Still, I think I'll look into ordering an IWB.

kiddcaliber44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    I carry OWB everywhere. Covered by a shirt or jacket. If it prints oh well. Im a responsible person with a lifetime permit. My PPS .40 hides pretty well even on the outside. Nice and thin. Tucks right up against you.I carry at the 4:00 position.
    Im 5' 9" 240 pounds

Rlee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    Would it make you more comfortable if someone else you was with was carrying? If so, I wouldn't mind browsing Wal-Mart sometime with you. Although, I don't know you for ****. I'm sure others could show up if somewhat local.

I have an Ebay In pants holster and I love the damn thing. I personally like the in pants holster but the OC holster that comes with the XDm is SO much more comfortable physically but painfully mentally for me.

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    I carry OWB everywhere. Covered by a shirt or jacket. If it prints oh well. Im a responsible person with a lifetime permit. My PPS .40 hides pretty well even on the outside. Nice and thin. Tucks right up against you.I carry at the 4:00 position.
    Im 5' 9" 240 pounds

Just outta curiosity, why the 4 o'clock? (course if I'm going to conceal, it's going to be shoulder harness.....)

If I put it there, it is past my belt loop. Wouldn't that make it more challenging to draw if the holster is slipping back?

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I carry at the 4 o'clock because even when I OC it hides it the best under a jacket and is out of the way. With regards to driving and wearing it at 4-5 depends on the build of your body. I put a piece of velcro in my center counsel and put a cheap nylon holster in there so when I drive I secure it in the counsel and before I get out I put it on my hip. And bigg cheese the holster should fit securely enough on the belt that it doesn't slip back when you go to draw. I believe you're asking that when you go to grab your gun the force of your hand grabbing the grip will push the holster farther toawrds your back? If not please correct me. Juts make sure you have a good belt that tightly secures the holster whether its IWB or OWB.

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    I've not had it slide around, but then again, I always put it at what you'd call the "3 o'clock" simply because I have the belt loop as another precaution.... but then again, I could have it all wrong :).

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    :twocents:I have been CCing for a couple of years now (Glock 19)... consistently more so over the past six months or so. I have always carried IWB at 3 o'clock because it is most comfortable when driving/sitting. I tried 4 o'clock yesterday (after reading this thread). I found that I was much more confident that the weapon was concealed. Also, my arm didn't bump it when walking. However, the muzzle end did tend to dig into my butt a bit. I'll try it a few more times to see if I can get used to it (as it felt much better when walking around).:twocents:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I found that carrying my wallet in my left pocket helped with barrel bite when I CC RH IWB at 4 o'clock. Normally, I carry my wallet in my right pocket, but the barrel and wallet tended to pinch my butt. Now, I don't mind a bit of butt pinching here and there, but only from my wife, not from my gun.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    A lot of it (as a few others have suggested) is YOU, being the one who knows they're carrying..

At work, I carry IWB and Tucked. I hang a cordless phone near one of the belt hooks to kinda distract, and yesterday my boss (who doesn't know that I carry at work) grabbed the phone from my belt when it was ringing. Still no noticing that I carry..

You really have to make up your mind and carry consistently to get used to it.

Top Bottom