• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    if you are going to be doing just transfers i would hope you would be retired because if thats the reason for the ffl and you are going to be working full time as well you are going to have your hands full.

I'm not saying that's all I'm going to do, I'm just saying that's primarily what I would do. I'm going to go contract when i get out for ~2 years. When i get back, I'm going to go to school full time for Mechanical Engineering (till I change my mind again) and do transfers and orders guns for people and what not just as supplemental income while I'm going to school.

My house will be paid for, my cars will be paid for, I won't have many bills and my woman will be working full time. So I thought it would be fun to do on the side.

customizef

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Unless you plan on charging a good premium on transfers , or marking up guns incredibly, doing this as a side job wont make you much money. There are guys out there selling guns for $10-20 over dealer cost. They must move enough volume to make money. For me , I strictly do gunsmithing and custom work. I do transfers a little here and there. To tell you the truth, doing transfers in my opinion is a waste of my time. I only really do it for a few customers who constantly buy guns or do work for me.

You spend alot of time doing paper work for a little money. The amount of paper work you have to keep and store is a pain. Again I don't stock guns or ammo, just strictly do gunsmithing and custom work. I would never get into an FFL thinking of it as a side business by selling guns and doing transfers. But thats my opinion.

If you need help or have questions , I ll be glad to answer what I can. The best advice I could give right now , do ALOT more research into it before starting to head in that direction. Because its really not worth the hassle unless your going big ( store front lots of inventory etc ). Besides they usually wont give you a license if your operating out of your house. You'll have to have a store front , unless your going to be operating out of your house and doing strictly gunsmithing work.

Good Luck
    Todd

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    I'm going to look into this when I move back to Indy, just do transfers and stuff for the most part, order some stuff for people here and there.
    Don't move back to Marion county if you plan to have an ffl. I was good to go but told I could not operate out of my house in Marion county unless I wanted to have my home rezoned. I then set out on the task to find a place to do business and it had to be zoned c-4, 5, or 7. Those are not as prevelant as one may think. There are some rural areas in Indiana and I know some people in Fishers(Hamilton county) that can operate in the house. Not in Marion county though. I had the same idea you had at first.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    There are some rural areas in Indiana and I know some people in Fishers(Hamilton county) that can operate in the house.

I am going through this right now. My facility downtown is zoned Industrial. No retail sales are allowed.

In Hamilton County, I talked to Kevin, a zoning inspector in Fishers and he sent me a copy of their ordinances. They have a HOME OCCUPATION ordinance that lets you work from home under certain conditions. He informed me there were a few people doing exactly what I wanted to do (get an FFL) out of their homes. It would have been nice to use the business space I already rent, but a zoning variance would be required. It’s $950 to apply for the variance in Marion county and if they deny it you are out the money.

My application came today and I have tons of questions. The internet just keeps turning up the same old FAQ’s from the ATF. I think I’m going to start a new thread called FFL questions if I can’t find more in the forum search.

customizef

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    While I might not be able to help with your zoning and state issues. I might be able to help with your FFL questions. Its really rather easy and when you are done and get your FFL, you'll say, damn that wasnt so bad LOL.

I know the pains of dealing with the city though !

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I am going through this right now. My facility downtown is zoned Industrial. No retail sales are allowed.

In Hamilton County, I talked to Kevin, a zoning inspector in Fishers and he sent me a copy of their ordinances. They have a HOME OCCUPATION ordinance that lets you work from home under certain conditions. He informed me there were a few people doing exactly what I wanted to do (get an FFL) out of their homes. It would have been nice to use the business space I already rent, but a zoning variance would be required. It’s $950 to apply for the variance in Marion county and if they deny it you are out the money.

My application came today and I have tons of questions. The internet just keeps turning up the same old FAQ’s from the ATF. I think I’m going to start a new thread called FFL questions if I can’t find more in the forum search.

dont know who you talked to about a zoning variance.... all i had to do was submit a site map, and a business plan and a zoning inspecter came out to insure my "home occupation" was indeed following all of the county zoning codes... they were, she was only here 10 minutes and all i have left to do is drop off one more form with the atf and they send my packet off to be proccesssed with approval from both zoning inspector and the atf inspector... you might want to relook into that whole zoning variance thing... pm me with a phone number and ill call you and we can talk.
    Nick

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Don't move back to Marion county if you plan to have an ffl. I was good to go but told I could not operate out of my house in Marion county unless I wanted to have my home rezoned. I then set out on the task to find a place to do business and it had to be zoned c-4, 5, or 7. Those are not as prevelant as one may think. There are some rural areas in Indiana and I know some people in Fishers(Hamilton county) that can operate in the house. Not in Marion county though. I had the same idea you had at first.

see my post above this... i am getting my ffl out of my house in marion county.... i dont understand why you guys are having such a hard time.... it was actually rather easy.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    dont know who you talked to about a zoning variance....

Thanks for all the info. I talked to an inspector named Maria. My issue was different than yours because my office is in a huge building and the whole thing is zoned industrial. So maybe it's a bit different for a house you own? :dunno:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Thanks for all the info. I talked to an inspector named Maria. My issue was different than yours because my office is in a huge building and the whole thing is zoned industrial. So maybe it's a bit different for a house you own? :dunno:

yea probably... mine is for a home occupation of gunsmithing so i follow the home occupation zoning not industrial... i am still not allowed retail sales or stocking of inventory minus gun parts... i can still do transfers though i will probably only do them for close friends and family.... i talked to the inspector named maria at first as well and she told me i wasnt allowed to do gunsmithing at all... when i got a lawyer involved to get an official letter as to why they changed their attitudes and gave me permission with no problem... turns out there is NOTHING agains firearms in a home occupation provided you follow a few silly rules.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    While I might not be able to help with your zoning and state issues. I might be able to help with your FFL questions. Its really rather easy and when you are done and get your FFL, you'll say, damn that wasnt so bad LOL.

I know the pains of dealing with the city though !

I'm not so worried about getting it. It's the whole stocking-nonstocking dealer retail sales part of it. I would like to stock a few guns for my students to purchase. I have a built in clientel. I'd also like to do internet sales, and in fact will most likely only take payment online to avoid the "walk in retail sales" portion of Fishers' Home Occupation rules.

So: Can a stocking dealer be by appointment only? (Say I'll take appointments 6PM to 9PM thurs thru Sat.)

Fishers zoning said they have no problem with customers coming over to pick up a box.

SO.... For my students: I'm either gonna use my private collection as examples of what I have in stock ( I take the guns every class anyway for use during the course)

or

It sounds like I could remove my stocked guns from the safe, take them with me to show only, and take orders, then complete the sale back at my house where the license is held. According to the ATF web site, a "corporate officer" can remove firearms from the premesis (WITHOUT PAPERWORK) for "BUSINESS PURPOSES". My FFL will be under the corporation and I'm a corporate officer. This is not a possibility for a sole proprietor. I'm not sure about this but from what I read why could it NOT be done? (Chapter and verse please!)

Of course I'll do some transfers and special orders, and internet sales. I have some plans, I just need to make sure they are within the law.

Any thoughts?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Why not just set up some accounts with distributors and when a client wants a gun have it shipped to your house and they get it there.... it would be a transfer not a retail sale, you still make a buck or two on it.... you will be UNABLE to sell any fireamrs at your classes though as the 4473 will need to be filled out at your house... trasnporting guns to your place of business woud most definatly NOT be illegal as you can do it now with a simple LTCH... obtaining your ffl does not void that right.

customizef

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Why not just set up some accounts with distributors and when a client wants a gun have it shipped to your house and they get it there.... it would be a transfer not a retail sale, you still make a buck or two on it.... you will be UNABLE to sell any fireamrs at your classes though as the 4473 will need to be filled out at your house... trasnporting guns to your place of business woud most definatly NOT be illegal as you can do it now with a simple LTCH... obtaining your ffl does not void that right.

Now the way I see it , if a dealer orders a gun , its a purchase. If the seller bought a gun and has it shipped to the FFL, then its a transfer. If the dealer orders a gun for a customer and the customer pays directly to the distributor ( which I dont see how that could work ) then that might be the case if the dealer does not pay for the gun himself.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Not true

Besides they usually wont give you a license if your operating out of your house. You'll have to have a store front , unless your going to be operating out of your house and doing strictly gunsmithing work.

Good Luck
    Todd

The main problem keeping people from running a firearms business out of their house is local zoning. The BATF does not indicate there is a problem with it unless you want a FFL to just buy guns for yourself at dealer cost as that is a big no no.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Get in touch with me when you have time

I'm not so worried about getting it. It's the whole stocking-nonstocking dealer retail sales part of it. I would like to stock a few guns for my students to purchase. I have a built in clientel. I'd also like to do internet sales, and in fact will most likely only take payment online to avoid the "walk in retail sales" portion of Fishers' Home Occupation rules. So: Can a stocking dealer be by appointment only? (Say I'll take appointments 6PM to 9PM thurs thru Sat.)

Fishers zoning said they have no problem with customers coming over to pick up a box. Of course I'll do some transfers and special orders, and internet sales. I have some plans, I just need to make sure they are within the law. Any thoughts?

Your post seems to have a lot of misconceptions on this FFL thing; if you'd like to come over to my place some time I will explain how it works for me and what is truth and what is fiction.

Dick

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Now the way I see it , if a dealer orders a gun , its a purchase. If the seller bought a gun and has it shipped to the FFL, then its a transfer. If the dealer orders a gun for a customer and the customer pays directly to the distributor ( which I dont see how that could work ) then that might be the case if the dealer does not pay for the gun himself.

when zoning says no retail sales, they mean you may not keep an inventory of stock... they dont want me to have product available for purchase for people to stop by and check it out.... this is paraphrased from the people at zoning themselves.... i am "ordering" a glock for a guy, but if i already have it there it is a "stocked" item...
    comprende?

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC

Nah, Hamilton County most likely.

Eiffelman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Your post seems to have a lot of misconceptions on this FFL thing; if you'd like to come over to my place some time I will explain how it works for me and what is truth and what is fiction.

Dick

Dick
    What is your business address in Fishers? I'll plan to come to pay you a visit to look over what you have. Thanks.

customizef

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Besides they usually wont give you a license if your operating out of your house. You'll have to have a store front , unless your going to be operating out of your house and doing strictly gunsmithing work.

Good Luck
    Todd

The main problem keeping people from running a firearms business out of their house is local zoning. The BATF does not indicate there is a problem with it unless you want a FFL to just buy guns for yourself at dealer cost as that is a big no no.

Thats why I said usually. But basically in Michigan , I can only speak for what the ATF agents have told me here. And basically that is they frown on home based business's. And your correct local zoning plays more of a role on that then the actual ATF probably does ( again going on what Michigan ATF says ).

Gunsmithing is considered manufacturing here in Michigan. I am not sure what they would consider it in your county. Every county is different and every state is even more different.

customizef

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    when zoning says no retail sales, they mean you may not keep an inventory of stock... they dont want me to have product available for purchase for people to stop by and check it out.... this is paraphrased from the people at zoning themselves.... i am "ordering" a glock for a guy, but if i already have it there it is a "stocked" item...
    comprende?

Now see again in Michigan, zoning is different. As it is different from county to county. In Michigan you can have retail sales and an inventory , but sell online. They consider that retail sales, but no store front. You can have stocking inventory and only do shows. Now I am not saying for firearms, but in general. That is what the township explained to me.

What I would guess they are saying is they don't really want someone having foot traffic. I can't see any township allowing a store front business with walk in traffic from a home environment. I am not saying that they wont allow you in your county and state. But I just find it hard to believe that they would allow you to have people in and out of your house and the only factor between it would be that you don't have the item in stock, but can order it ? Doesn't seem to make sense to me, because if you had it in stock, they would only be at your house once, but now they would have to be at your house twice ( unless your taking orders over the phone with credit cards and stuff ).

Anyways, I am not trying to sound negative or saying you can and can't do this. I am only giving out information from my experiences, and my experiences are in a different state and county with different zoning and rulings and I have worked out of my house and a shop.

I wish anyone the best of luck in getting an FFL and starting a business and I will offer help to anyone that has questions or would like my opinion on the subject.

Good luck
    Todd

Last edited:
    Top Bottom