• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    So, do those who have gone through the process think the convenience offered here is worth the cost?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    No thanks. The last thing I want is to give the ATF carte blanche to search my home whenever they wish, without a warrant. And you get to go to jail or be bankrupted for failing to cross a t or if someone writes a Y instead of a full Yes. Nope. Don't need one.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    RIP OFF

If you want to get a FFL you can get all the forms off the BATF web site for free. You need to fill out three copies, get a passport type photo and get fingerprinted and then wait for your interview. All this takes about three months. Oh, don't forget the $200 MO. If you can read and have half a brain you can do the form and get the rest done in a few hours, you don't need to pay for a kit.

These kits are a big rip off.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    For the record, before I edited the link, it was a "cashlink" where you get credits every time someone clicks on your link. I took out the cashlink and substituted the correct link. I do not believe our drive-by poster has any honorable intentions.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    pure BS

No thanks. The last thing I want is to give the ATF carte blanche to search my home whenever they wish, without a warrant. And you get to go to jail or be bankrupted for failing to cross a t or if someone writes a Y instead of a full Yes. Nope. Don't need one.

The ATF can come and check your bound book and your 4473 forms whenever they want but they can't search your house or look at anything else. When they do audits they look to help you to do things correctly; if you ignore them I would think you are headed for trouble. So far I have only dealt with nice folks at the ATF office in Indy.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    more of a instruction meeting

so what all do they need from you in the interview?

In the two I had, one in 1996 and again last year they just explained how a FFL should conduct their business and went over most of the procedures and do's and don't. I was then giving a packet of information and after they leave you wait about a month and get your license.

I believe they size you up and through chatting with you they can get a feel if you are level headed or some radical nut case. They want you to understand how a FFL should conduct business, look at where you will be doing business and if the town or city you are located approves of this type of business if you will be working out of your home. They want you to understand that this license is for running your BUSINESS, not to build you private collection at dealer priced guns. Everyone I met so far went out of their way to be helpful and seemed very down to earth, just like anyone else you deal with on a daily basis. They do not have two heads.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    a few years ago i purchased one of those kits while i was overseas, and it contains NOTHING that you cant either get from the aft with a phone call, or asking a differant ffl for some advice... DO NOT waste your money... those kits do nothing because most of the ffl is making sure your ducks are in a row based on your locality... i have to go now because the atf will be knocking on my door shortly for my interview!!!

customizef

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Those kits are a waste. They do give you a nice set of books, a set that you could buy from other sources for cheap. But live and learn. I bought one many years ago.

Basically at my interview the agent told me ( after I asked the question "When do I know if I will get an ffl or not " ) that if I am here doing an interview you have the FFL already. Basically as already mentioned the interview is just a going over of the rules and regs.

The myths that black choppers fly over and swat teams surround your house. All crap....unless your doing something illegal. But basically all the ATF guys I ve met have been really nice. The guys I ve taken Armorer classes with ( ATF guys ) were nice guys and when I asked questions , they made phone call right then and there to get me the answer if they didnt know.

So the ATF gets a bad rap alot of times, but the reality is they are just people too , doing a job.

Ryan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    why would anyone pay for a "kit" when all the forms needed are free? :dunno:what is worse alot of people may not realize this and pay for something that is and should be free.

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    I screwed up and bought the thing offered here. Not worth it. Save your money. If you have questions, I will do my best to answer them and I am fairly sure there are other ffl's here that will do the same.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I had a C&R license for about 12 years, when I lived in ILL...Upon moving to Indiana I let it expire in 2005. I decided to apply for it again this year. I filled out all the paperwork...dropped a copy off at my CLEO...and waited.
    About 6 weeks later, all my forms were sent back. There was one question that asked if you ever had a license before...and of course I checked yes.
    They wanted me to explain my answer...What's to explain???? I sent them a copy of my expired license and wrote on it...IT EXPIRED !
    About 3 weeks later I received my license.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I'm going to look into this when I move back to Indy, just do transfers and stuff for the most part, order some stuff for people here and there.

if you are going to be doing just transfers i would hope you would be retired because if thats the reason for the ffl and you are going to be working full time as well you are going to have your hands full.

I would'nt mind becoming a dealer or FFL holder since I'm sure the price will go up.

thats not a very good reason to apply for your ffl, and after going through their interview process they would see right through it and deny your license.... i am still jumping through hoops for mine.... hopefully all will be settled by the weeks end.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom