• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i guess its time to post pics of my bag and all the kit and i have most everything e5ranger mentioned with a bit more and some other stuff in a very small simple kit. it fits in the top of the small lockers no problem. well here it is and i will see if i can list all the items too

ohhhhh and sob if that garbage little glock didn't fall off my waist well i was wake boarding and end up in the bottom of a lake out in ft wayne

DSCN1027.jpg

DSCN1024.jpg

DSCN1026.jpg

DSCN1023.jpg

DSCN0833.jpg

all packed up ready to serve her if need be. the bottle holds 40 oz of water perfect and also can be used to boil water, there is also a stainless gsi cup that fits under it. if anyone really wants the break down and the pics don't do it. let me know and i will put the full break down in there

lol i would do it now but damn it i am drunk and not reading that well. but this is my get home bag and i have added even more kit since the pics but its less than 15lbs and works. its what i feel would be perfect to help get me home from 30 miles away or so.

and before anyone asks yes the little one is trained to get me beer on request and does enjoy the great flavor also :) if i knew how to insert purple text

Last edited:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Oh, another thing I have in my truck that your pics reminded me of is about 30 emergency candles. You know the small round ones? I just put those in last week. those things can make for GREAT distraction, or fire starting. Or cooking. Or whatever.

Another thing to consider putting in your bag is 3 or 4 M80 type fireworks and some extra fuse. Many uses. I have 2 packs of bottle rockets in my BoB. Even if you don't use them for what they're intended for, you can use the propellant in them for MANY uses. Even medical. ;)

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    lol i have a 3 wick candle in there either 12 24 or 36 hours it can burn for and will cook eggs and boil water. as far as fire crackers i am gonna pass though they aren't a bad idea, my med kit is set up amazing for the small pack and i got IV kits in the truck. i have a few more items i am not just gonna put out on the net that take care of all fire crackers can. either way you could fit them if you wanted

also this is just what's in my bag and doesn't include what i carry on my person which makes some of the stuff redundant but better safe than sorry

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    The funny thing is, I have about 5 bags I can use here. But thinking more about this and looking at what's out there, I really need something different.

My best two pack are for my BoBs. I have a nice medium frame alice pack that I carried at Philmont, NM. but I'm reserving it for the food since it will be heavy. With the frame it'll make it easier to hump. Right now, my SHTF food and med supplies are in ammo cans until I can find a better pack for the med supplies. I REALLY want the trauma pack that CTD sells since we have 4 kids and my wife is an Ex-CNA. I just cant afford that kinda cash on a med kit though.

The bad thing is that my oldest and my wife have bad allergies so I have to prepare for that. Not a good thing in any SHTF scenario. If they get sick, we're screwed. So meds are a big factor.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Are your Urban or Rural?

My GHB is a messenger bag.

Urban means things like small rubber door stops, water spikot key etc.
    Rural, pepper spray for the dogs that will charge you on the way home.

Some other things I keep. Laminated contact lists, extra cell phone batteries. Secure thumb drive with important docs. List of choke points, danger areas, pharmacies, medical offices marked on my map. Good Leather gloves. Liter of water and a way to purify. We have plenty of water available in IN.

Then rest has been mentioned above.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    yeah i deffinatly recomend pepper spray. just ask the guys who went to the survival class ;) :):

Grunt Soldier, NICE BAG!!!! my maxpedition bag is the size down from that one (it doesnt have the pouch on the side for the bottle.) i think i need to get one like yours. Time to pull out the $$$ again.

your picture reminded me too...... the mini pry bar is A MUST!!! i have a U.S. Issued one on my key chain. Its small but takes a beating and still keep delivering sweetness!!

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Also, I would add an old cell phone you don't use anymore. Keep the battery charged on it. Even if there is no plan for it, you can still call 911. You never know when you might have an emergency and forget your phone...

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Sailor, I'm mostly Urban, but I travel rural quite a bit too.

Cheap small door stop. If you are in bldings, you sometimes need self closing doors to remain open, or to keep some doors closed.

I also just added some lockpicking tools, a rake, pick and tension bar is all you need.

I am only 12 miles from home, so my plan is light and fast.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Also, I would add an old cell phone you don't use anymore. Keep the battery charged on it. Even if there is no plan for it, you can still call 911. You never know when you might have an emergency and forget your phone...

I almost always have an older PDA phone with me that doubles as a GPS unit. Also have a solar charger in the BoB for it and plan on getting one and a case for both.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    So I recently went through my BoB to see if I could scale it down. These are the things that were in this bag, and there was still plenty of room to spare. I'm going to split up some things like the fire making, tools, ammo, and a couple other things to start on the GHBs.

BoB1005.jpg

BoB1004.jpg

BoB1003.jpg

BoB1002.jpg

BoB1001.jpg

the last two pictures are the items that fit in the outside pockets. Includes solar USB charger, fishing wire (24lbs spiderwire), Swiss BSA Knife, shaker flashlight, Declaration/Constitution for reading, bags, firearm lock (could be useful), and others. Much room left for other stuff as well.

In the plastic bag with rubber bands next to the shoes is bottle rockets, and M-80-forgerys. Never know when fireworks or the fuses could come in handy.

Under that on the right holds water purification tabs, tools, utensils, pens, and some speaker wire.

left of that is 9mm x2, .22lr x1, and a box of 14 CO2 cartridges for the pellet gun at the top right.

Gloves, socks, ropes, and the food. The food at the bottom is 8x Ramen Noodles, 2x Vienna Sausage, Green Tea Mix to add to the purified water (makes it drinkable and adds nutrition), Kidney Beans, and my personal favorite, Cracker Barrel Maple Syrup. :)

Everything else should be easy to identify.

Not much is coming out of this bag to make the GHBs, but as is, I can keep myself alive indefinitely on JUST what's in this bag, or my Family for 2-3 weeks. But that's just on this pack.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    If anyone is wanting to get something like an ALICE pack make sure you look at a few different sizes before you buy. I have a MEDIUM and these day's it will not hold all that I want... I really need to get a LARGE.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    If anyone is wanting to get something like an ALICE pack make sure you look at a few different sizes before you buy. I have a MEDIUM and these day's it will not hold all that I want... I really need to get a LARGE.

:+1: for this. I have the Medium with frame and it was great for backpacking 2 weeks in a semi-controlled environment with 7 other hikers. Had it been only two of us, we would have needed another pack just for the food.

I like the bag I got. It was a gift so I have no idea on it's make and model, but it's a tactical pack that has seen action. It's say it's twice the capacity of a medium alice pack. My alice pack is strictly for food and cooking stuff. I have another duffel bag for clothes, then this bag for gear. I'm still making the BoB, so it's not complete yet.

76chevy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    have to agree with this, the original was pretty long...

I took a lot of things out of this list. The get home bag is designed to get you home right the F now, while generally only supporting an individual for 24 hours or less. That means lightweight, lightweight, lightweight. If you are planning on stopping and cooking something over a stove that you setup, then a BOB needs to be planned, not a GHB.

I would add to the list:

• 2 bottles of water/water purification tablets
    • Fixed blade knife
    • One MRE, or 2400 calorie mainstay food ration, or something that could be considered a "meal" while being compact and easy to eat on the go
    • More cash
    SE, considering how far you usually travel, what would you guess the longest distance would be that you would have to hike it back home?

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    i think people focus on too many bags, kits, abreviations, etc. have a couple BOBs (home, vehicles) each should be modular, and designed to compliment the other. i have an satchel with emergency gear in it that i keep at least in my car if im not carrying it. then i have a SMALL, EMERGENCY BASIC as it gets survival kit that i keep on me at all times. Then i keep the big BOB in the car as well (contents changing with the seasons). all of these things are compact and i have designed them to fulfil the basic needs of my small family until i can get home or to another PRE-PLANNED LOCATION!! I assure you nothing in my families survival plan is random or un-rehearsed, and thats crutial!!! but it can EASILY be adapted at a moments notice. (ive allotted for about 5 days give ot take (but with the gear inside we could live indeffinately if needed): i wont disclose the exact time and neither should any of you, but YOU should DEFFINATELY have planned it out and know exactly how long you can make it last). Those kits are designed specificly to get me a good start to either get back to my bug out location, home, or to a series or CACHES that i have. (i would HIGHLY recommend you all start caches!!) even if i had to run on foot with ONLY my emergency survival kit, i could potentialy disapear FOREVER and live fine with nothing else. you MUST assume that everything you have can or will be lost, and you will only have the gear ON YOUR PERSON!!!! what you carry ON YOUR PERSON, WILL define whether you live or die probly about 70% of BIG SHTF scenarios.

If a nuclear blast destroyed the area you lived in, but you were able to survive (yes some WILL survive) then you WILL NOT recognize the area youve lived in for years. so thats another point >>> Learn to read a Topographical map. i could go on and on, but im not a book writer nor should i be, but it all boils down to your knowledge. if you have it in your brain to live and you have the skills, then YOU WILL be able to live in ANY environment on earth with only the tools you can find in nature. too many people put WAY too much emphasis on gear, both in the shooting world and survival world. its a ploy to sell you stuff, and the people who have never been in those real life situations are the ones on top of the pulpit preaching hardest to "buy more expenssive and better gear".

If you want the opinion of this dumb young gun, then pack more food and water than gear!!! once your basic shelter and fire needs are met in you kit.

Order of priorities:
    1. security (doesnt make sense to set your tent up in the middle of a shooting range does it?)
    2. shelter
    3. fire
    4. water
    5. food

Last edited:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    SE: i would ditch the aresol oil can or atleast put it in a double layer ziplock bag. those things leak commonly. im speaking from first hand experience unfortunatly. it was a mess. i recomend: rem oil wipes.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    i think people focus on too many bags, kits, abreviations, etc. have a couple BOBs (home, vehicles) each should be modular, and designed to compliment the other. i have an satchel with emergency gear in it that i keep at least in my car if im not carrying it. then i have a SMALL, EMERGENCY BASIC as it gets survival kit that i keep on me at all times. Then i keep the big BOB in the car as well (contents changing with the seasons). all of these things are compact and i have designed them to fulfil the basic needs of my small family until i can get home or to another PRE-PLANNED LOCATION!! I assure you nothing in my families survival plan is random or un-rehearsed, and thats crutial!!! but it can EASILY be adapted at a moments notice. (ive allotted for about 5 days give ot take (but with the gear inside we could live indeffinately if needed): i wont disclose the exact time and neither should any of you, but YOU should DEFFINATELY have planned it out and know exactly how long you can make it last). Those kits are designed specificly to get me a good start to either get back to my bug out location, home, or to a series or CACHES that i have. (i would HIGHLY recommend you all start caches!!) even if i had to run on foot with ONLY my emergency survival kit, i could potentialy disapear FOREVER and live fine with nothing else. you MUST assume that everything you have can or will be lost, and you will only have the gear ON YOUR PERSON!!!! what you carry ON YOUR PERSON, WILL define whether you live or die probly about 70% of BIG SHTF scenarios.

If a nuclear blast destroyed the area you lived in, but you were able to survive (yes some WILL survive) then you WILL NOT recognize the area youve lived in for years. so thats another point >>> Learn to read a Topographical map. i could go on and on, but im not a book writer nor should i be, but it all boils down to your knowledge. if you have it in your brain to live and you have the skills, then YOU WILL be able to live in ANY environment on earth with only the tools you can find in nature. too many people put WAY too much emphasis on gear, both in the shooting world and survival world. its a ploy to sell you stuff, and the people who have never been in those real life situations are the ones on top of the pulpit preaching hardest to "buy more expenssive and better gear".

If you want the opinion of this dumb young gun, then pack more food and water than gear!!! once your basic shelter and fire needs are met in you kit.

Order of priorities:
    1. security (doesnt make sense to set your tent up in the middle of a shooting range does it?)
    2. shelter
    3. fire
    4. water
    5. food

I've got a solid plan, but not having a good BOL, I plan on begging and bartering for a place to stay with a friend of ours.

I'm not consumed by the gear I think I might need and the bag it's in. This is just a small phase I had some questions with and am going through at the moment since I can't practice skills at the moment. I just want to make sure that if my wife is with the kids or by herself, she'll have the tools to get home should she need to walk for a while.

SE: i would ditch the aresol oil can or atleast put it in a double layer ziplock bag. those things leak commonly. im speaking from first hand experience unfortunatly. it was a mess. i recomend: rem oil wipes.

Yea, it's just temporary until I can get a squeeze bottle that looks like this but smaller with a lid... I have one but it's in the cleaning box...

EmptySqueezeBottleCylindrical4oz.jpg

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    SE, i commend you on your kit so far. and also for not being afraid to ask questions. NO ONE knows it all, and if they claim to then stay FAR away from them, because they will end up getting you killed.

its refreshing to see so many people prepared or preparing. even if it never happens you have been smart!!!

SE: i think your current bag is awesome! i think it blends in great and would resemble what an average person would be carrying so you wont be a target. THUMBS UP TO YOU!!

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    SE, i commend you on your kit so far. and also for not being afraid to ask questions. NO ONE knows it all, and if they claim to then stay FAR away from them, because they will end up getting you killed.

its refreshing to see so many people prepared or preparing. even if it never happens you have been smart!!!

SE: i think your current bag is awesome! i think it blends in great and would resemble what an average person would be carrying so you wont be a target. THUMBS UP TO YOU!!

The bag itself was a gift from a fellow INGOer who is much appreciated. I did find a couple things to complete the GHBs.

And you're right. I may NEVER need these things. However, better to have and not need... ;) I do have a good BO plan, but my BI plan sucks because of location. The worst part is having a prison a quarter mile away... :n00b:

Top Bottom