• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    SE, there are racks that are designed to fit on your seat post that have attachment points for your panniers. Using zip-ties, you could attach standard water bottle holders. Additionally there are water bottle holders that fit on your seatpost, behind the seat. Just FYI, apparently you have found work-arounds!

I mentioned the weight issue of a backpack on a bicycle because it puts your weight higher, thus making you less stable, but with the bike in question, that may be the best solution. Many "cheapo" bikes have unnecessary "bells and whistles" that add weight and complexity without adding effeciency or durability. Keep your eye out for a rigid frame, perhaps even a rigid fork bike, like an old Specialized Rock Hopper or a Trek 750 or the like. You will get a lighter, better quality bike with the braze-ons (the little eyelts that allow you to attach stuff), and with quick release hubs on the wheels (to make tube changes easier). Again, just FYI, and not meant as a slight on your current set-up. I used to work at a bike shop, so I can't help it:)

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    SE, there are racks that are designed to fit on your seat post that have attachment points for your panniers. Using zip-ties, you could attach standard water bottle holders. Additionally there are water bottle holders that fit on your seatpost, behind the seat. Just FYI, apparently you have found work-arounds!

I mentioned the weight issue of a backpack on a bicycle because it puts your weight higher, thus making you less stable, but with the bike in question, that may be the best solution. Many "cheapo" bikes have unnecessary "bells and whistles" that add weight and complexity without adding effeciency or durability. Keep your eye out for a rigid frame, perhaps even a rigid fork bike, like an old Specialized Rock Hopper or a Trek 750 or the like. You will get a lighter, better quality bike with the braze-ons (the little eyelts that allow you to attach stuff), and with quick release hubs on the wheels (to make tube changes easier). Again, just FYI, and not meant as a slight on your current set-up. I used to work at a bike shop, so I can't help it:)

No, I appreciate the advice. I've actually been debating on whether I should fix up this bike or scrap it and get a new one. I do like the rear suspension cause it REALLY helps absorb the impact of bumps and jumps. I just wish the bike was lighter. That would REALLY help.

I did lighten my pack by 10lbs and it seems to help. I did some creek hiking today with my daughter and I did pretty good besides teh heat. I think once I quit smoking completely and get in better shape it won't be so bad.

I did add a new 2 person tent to my inventory. I have a 4-6 person tent that would fit the whole family if needed, but I got this one for SHTF or just for the gear. I don't have a sleeping bag for myself yet, but the kids each have one. I figure I'll just use an old comforter and get a waterproof bag cover like on the ECS sleeping bags and go that route for me and the wife. Add layers of clothes in the colder months and it'll be good to go. (been there, done that)

So I do have more weight to add if S ever does HTF, but I'm just training with the basics for now.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    SE

What tent did you add. I am currently looking for one. Right now it will be just for me but hopefully 2 in the future!

Sorry for the thread jack.

Doug

No worries. I have an older tent that I'm not sure who made it. We bought it back in 94. It's lasted until now and it's still water proof. I'll have to get it out and look it over though when all this crazy weather settles down.

The tent I bought was an Ozark Trail Junior Dome tent. It's 5'x6' and says it sleeps 2. read a few bad reviews about it so far and it only cost me like $20 at Walmarx. Regardless, it's a tent, it's small and lightweight, and it'll work if I have to use homemade twine and a tree to hold it up with. :):

It says it's made by NorthPole, but their website is crap. I can't find a picture of this tent ANYWHERE on the net. :n00b:

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Savage,

Generally I would advocate a tarp over a tent. It's lighter, will pack smaller, and yet still provide adequate emergency shelter.

You may want to check out some only articles about ultralight backpacking. These people have made packing light an art. Here's a couple of links to get you started.

The Ultralight Backpacking Site

BACKPACKING LIGHTWEIGHT - Backpacking & Hiking Resources

Adventure Alan's Ultralight and Lightweight Backpacking

Thanks for the link. I'll have to rep you later tonight. :dunno: Stupid rep system. :):

I usually always have one BIG tarp in the vehicles and since these are part-time overkill GHB's, they'll fit into the bags. I didn't buy the tent for SHTF, but more for recreational camping and hiking with the kids. I'm not sure campgrounds smile upon tarp-tents and home-made lean-to's... :):

The tents do make good for preparation/training. Train with more weight than you would actually carry and when/if time comes and SHTF, you'll be used to carrying more weight than you'll actually have/need. ;)

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    We have a primary vehicle for travel and a secondary vehicle for wife's work. I try to keep (protection, food, and shelter appropriate for the season) for two in the primary, and a smaller kit in the secondary. I've got a 'grab & go' for 'get home' and can slam together a 'bug out bag' for two if that becomes necessary.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm in the middle of the book "One second after" and it has really changed the way I look at the get home bag. I suggest anyone to read it or at least listen to it on tape.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    On a more serious note, I would like to suggest an alternative to energy drinks for those not able to consume sugary liquids.

Coconut water. It is an excellent natural electrolyte replenisher, comes in shelf-stable boxes (think juice box), and very low in natural sugars.

Amazon.com: coconut water

Best part is, Amazon will ship it to your door free (if you order enough) and PDQ.

If you don't want to do coconut water, but do want to do electrolyte replacement, you can get 10 0.2 oz foil pouches of Propel, which can be added to water and contains some sodium and vitamins. We buy Medi-Lyte tabs from a medical supply company. They're little foil packets of 2 tablets which contain potassium, magnesium and a couple other minerals to replenish electrolytes. You can buy 500 packets for about $30.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    SE

What tent did you add. I am currently looking for one. Right now it will be just for me but hopefully 2 in the future!

Sorry for the thread jack.

Doug

You might check out the Gander Mountain in Greenwood or the Dick's at Greenwood Mall. I've seen some fairly good sales on 1- and 2- person tents.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    (snipped for brevity) I figure I'll just use an old comforter and get a waterproof bag cover like on the ECS sleeping bags and go that route for me and the wife. Add layers of clothes in the colder months and it'll be good to go. (been there, done that)

So I do have more weight to add if S ever does HTF, but I'm just training with the basics for now.

If weight is an issue, I've bought a couple "emergency sleeping bags". I haven't had them out, but they look like aluminized cloth designed to keep body heat in (sort of like the mylar "emergency bags" and blankets). They cost about $30 bucks but will fit inside a canteen cup. I saw what was purported to be the Woodland Camo Bivvy Bag from the Army Sleep System on a surplus store site recently, can't remember where. Since the Army has gone to the ACU for all their OCIE, I imagine there are a bunch of serviceable bags on the market.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    My thought is a get home bag is one able to be carried easily since you will be rushing to get home to loved ones unless situation dictates differently. It also should give you basic supplies for the trip home. Alot depends on your route home for me mine has to be able to not hold water and not weigh me down since all routes out of town are through bridges which are going to be probably shut down so I am going to have to swim or take a much longer (by 4-5 miles) trip home to the backroads.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    how about a tarp?

Have at least two in my truck at all times.

If weight is an issue, I've bought a couple "emergency sleeping bags". I haven't had them out, but they look like aluminized cloth designed to keep body heat in (sort of like the mylar "emergency bags" and blankets). They cost about $30 bucks but will fit inside a canteen cup. I saw what was purported to be the Woodland Camo Bivvy Bag from the Army Sleep System on a surplus store site recently, can't remember where. Since the Army has gone to the ACU for all their OCIE, I imagine there are a bunch of serviceable bags on the market.

Yes, but those are suppose to be one or two use only. I want something that can be used over and over. Good idea though.

My thought is a get home bag is one able to be carried easily since you will be rushing to get home to loved ones unless situation dictates differently. It also should give you basic supplies for the trip home. Alot depends on your route home for me mine has to be able to not hold water and not weigh me down since all routes out of town are through bridges which are going to be probably shut down so I am going to have to swim or take a much longer (by 4-5 miles) trip home to the backroads.

Depending on the situation, I can be across Indy in a few short hours on foot carrying everything I need in my pockets and in a make shift pack. (Think extra pair of pants turned backpack) My GHB is intended for travel over 30 miles. If it takes me more than two days to travel 30 miles, conditions are DIRE or I'm very injured.

You have to think. If you need the things listed in this thread to make it 10-15-20 miles, S has HTF and you are going to need your full blown BoB and access to a rifle, not your carry piece and what little supplies you'll have in a small, basic GHB.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County

Check Google maps for for railroads nearby...they have bridges too. Rails are also often below grade, providing more cover along their typically straight-shot layouts.

Obviously, YMMV.

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Check Google maps for for railroads nearby...they have bridges too. Rails are also often below grade, providing more cover along their typically straight-shot layouts.

Obviously, YMMV.

Very good points about RR tracks. I have also noticed several power line easments and gas pipeline easments that used along with RR tracks will get you almost anywhere you need to go discreetly. :yesway:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    No, I appreciate the advice. I've actually been debating on whether I should fix up this bike or scrap it and get a new one. I do like the rear suspension cause it REALLY helps absorb the impact of bumps and jumps. I just wish the bike was lighter. That would REALLY help.

(snipped)

Before you trash your bike, you might consider taking it to a shop and getting it tuned up, esp. the gears. Derailleurs are really easy to screw up and surprisingly difficult to synch if you don't know what you're doing (and I don't).

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Have at least two in my truck at all times.

Yes, but those are suppose to be one or two use only. I want something that can be used over and over. Good idea though.

(snipped)

Actually, they look sturdy enough to be used a number of times, unlike the mylar blankets and sleeping bags. You used to be able to buy poncho liners made with Thinsulate. That and a sleeping bag cover would be compact and suitable for a wide variety of conditions.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Before you trash your bike, you might consider taking it to a shop and getting it tuned up, esp. the gears. Derailleurs are really easy to screw up and surprisingly difficult to synch if you don't know what you're doing (and I don't).

Oh, I plan on it. But if it's going to cost the same to buy a new bike, I'm just going to do that and add this bike to the either the scrap pile or use it for parts. :dunno:

This bike needs a rear brake cable and pads, gears need adjusted, and it REALLY needs a paint job. I thought about painting it some kind of homemade camo so it's not so shiny. Reflectors are easy enough to break if SHTF. ;)

Actually, they look sturdy enough to be used a number of times, unlike the mylar blankets and sleeping bags. You used to be able to buy poncho liners made with Thinsulate. That and a sleeping bag cover would be compact and suitable for a wide variety of conditions.

While they may be reusable they're not something I'd trust my life to since my BoP (Bug Out Plan) includes traveling west. Plus I need something for our regular camping trips.

Top Bottom