• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Blackhawk2001, is right. get the emergency bags. you can buy them in OD green instead of orange too. They WILL last several times. they are very durable and dont make that huge crinkly noise the space blankets make. Since a cold night camping this spring and already having only summer gear with me, i went and purchased 3. they are VERY compact and highly recomended. they retain like 80% of your body heat and you will be toasty in them. BOBs arent meant to support you long term, these bags will last longer than you would need them for.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    Found this a week or so ago while trying to do some research. It seems along the same lines as the typical emergency bags, but it also seems to have a few improvements. After reading the thread here I just remembered this and thought it should be posted for others to review.

Blizzard Survival Bag - The Ultimate in Lightweight Thermal Protection

I do not have one and have not checked into it any further than the link. YMMV...

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    This isn't as hard to do as you might think, adjusting derailleurs. Stop at your library and get a copy of "Zinn and the Art of Bicyle Maintenance". Yes, you can adjust and tune your bicyle , and it's a good skill. But, on some bicycles, you will find that you spend more time tuning and never quite get it, because your parts are "cheap". But give it a try, make sure your cables aren't rusty too, as that will mess up your shifting. There are some communities that have Community Bike Projects that help you learn to tune up bicycles on your own...a real big part of the DIY movement. If you want a hand at it, I could help you out...

No, I appreciate the advice. I've actually been debating on whether I should fix up this bike or scrap it and get a new one. I do like the rear suspension cause it REALLY helps absorb the impact of bumps and jumps. I just wish the bike was lighter. That would REALLY help.

(snipped)

Before you trash your bike, you might consider taking it to a shop and getting it tuned up, esp. the gears. Derailleurs are really easy to screw up and surprisingly difficult to synch if you don't know what you're doing (and I don't).

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Order of priorities:
    1. security (doesnt make sense to set your tent up in the middle of a shooting range does it?)
    2. shelter
    3. fire
    4. water
    5. food

I know, YMMV, but I would add First Aid to your list, esp since you've got it covered. I've got different priorities, but you've got the categories down. The first 4 are things I would need whether I'm stationary or on the move.

1 - Security
    2 - First Aid
    3 - Water
    4 - Food (I'm diabetic so self sustenance is a must.)
    5 - Shelter
    6 - Fire
    7 - Other (money, comfort items, etc.)

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Keith_Indy:

The reason shelter is put above water or food is because you can go a while without those (up to 3 days without water, and up to 20 or so days without food), you can only go afew hours or less without shelter in certain situations. you can die of hypothermia in 50 degree weather, or also die of heat related causes VERY quickly. shelter IS number one after security and some equate them together. when I say shelter It doesnt always mean a tent. shelter can be your clothing on your back, as long as its sufficient for your environment. so if your walking in the rain on a summer day and you have on a poncho and clothes underneath then you can move to the next step of gathering water which would be easy since its raining :)

the reason fire comes before water and food is because you MUST have fire to boil water or another means to boil it, to make it safe to consume. Now if you have bottled water that will sustain you for the time being then you can skip to the next step, but unless you have an endless supply or you get rescued within your supplys limits, you will need to boil water, unless you wanna get very sick or die.

water then food. you must have water quickly, and if you dont have water then DONT EAT!!! you will become more dehydrated.

food is very important to keep your mind and body going, but its only after water because you must take care of what will kill you the fastest first. and dehydration WILL kill you before starvation. In your case because of a medical condition then you would want to address that with items on your person. glucose tabs or snacks in your pockets at all times, etc. then also you would need to find food quickly after your water. or if water isnt found within your first day then a SMALL portion of food could be consumed, and then hunt for water.

first Aid, is a subtopic thats built into security for me. you will need basic first aid, but if you need advanced first aid then realisticly you will need to improvise or die. its impossible to carry all of the ALS items for all situations. Blood loss and not breathing are the ones that would be the most important to be addressed first, and the later will probly not be able to be addressed by you, rather another person would have to administer you aid to secure your breathing. realisticly i could get by with a stretch of duct tape as my only basic first aid item and live. now if you get an infection then you better know what to do.

please dont take me as trying to discredit you at all. im just stating the reasons to support my statements based on real life situations and training. there could always be another idea that comes out tomorrow that totaly revolutionizes the way we look at survival and force us to adapt. we never know. but my priorities right now are based on thousands of years of human survival tehniques and successes and failures. I try to go with the best odds :).

Last edited:

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Hey, no, dig taken, YMMV after all. These are opinions for the most part, and I have been known to be wrong. Anyway, I was thinking more for the short term, mobile, get home bag. Mid to long term, you're right. I'll probably end up stashing more food & snacks in the car. As they say, better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

You're post somewhere above about bags being designed to compliment each other is spot on, in my opinion. Each should enhance the one below it. For instance, I've got water purifying pills in my small bag, a Pur filter in my large bag, and a Big Berky at home. And the capability to boil water at each level, to varying degrees.

First Aid, is a subtopic thats built into security for me.
    Ah, that wasn't clear to me in this post, only reason I brought it up. Some people might look at your list of priorities, and go from there thinking no first aid would be ok (even though your detailed list has first aid items.) There's no standard nomenclature for this stuff, so I tend to over specify when I make lists.

One good thing about all these discussions, it's gotten me to go back through all 3 of my bags, and start shifting & adding supplies among them. Plus, I pulled out anything that was expired (mostly med's and batteries.) I'll be getting refills on those soon.

I've also bought "Survive! The Final Edition" by Les Stroud, which has been informative to (in an additive way to all the other books and manuals I've collected over the years.)

Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Poor Performance and Panic.

I think a lot of what goes in or out of bags, also depends on your confidence in being able to improvise alternatives within those priorities. For instance, in an urban environment, there are plenty of buildings that you should be able to find some shelter in.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I've taken a number of civilian survival courses over the years, and, some years back when I was developing a survival module for an aviation life support equipment program, I came to an epiphany, of sorts; sort of a "unified field theory" of survival.

Basically, your body is an engine. You need to fuel it, you need water to regulate temperature and transport energy to peripheral systems, you need to maintain the thermostat (body core temperature) in order for it to function properly. Food, shelter, water, 1st aid and the like are all interlocked in keeping the machinery going, and _each individual machine is different. What works for you won't work for me; what works for me won't necessarily work for my wife. What worked for me 15 years ago, won't work for me today.

Last edited:

doug1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Crestview, Florida
    My Get Home Bag

UTG Tactical Messenger Bag
    40oz Klean Kanteen stainless bottle
    beanie
    gloves
    1 pair undies
    1 pair socks
    write anywhere note pad
    2 pens
    1 pencil
    1 whistle
    spare glasses
    nail kit (scissors, nail clippers, file, tweezers and comb)
    1 glow stick
    1 ultra mini mag light
    1 mini mag light
    SOG Seal Pup knife with shealth
    Leatherman Charge
    550 cord
    First Aid Kit
    .40 cal Sig Pro w/ 2 12 round mags
    *Survival Kit
    *Plastic container

DSC01339.jpg

DSC01338.jpg

*Survival Kit contents...
    Tin container
    lighter
    Magnesium fire starter
    2 cotton balls
    Gerber Clutch
    Aluminum foil
    Survival blanket
    3 tea light candles
    1 razor blade
    1 sterile gauze pad
    2 alcohol wipes
    2 antibiotic ointment
    3 bandaids
    2 sheets paper
    -black case-
    pencil wrapped in string and tape
    folding scissors
    fishing line and leader
    safety pins and needles
    white trash bag
    hooks
    2 spools of thread
    *Plastic container contents...
    3 pair contacts
    contact case
    chap stick
    toothpaste
    whistle, compass, magnifyer, thermometer combo
    2 mini toothbrushes
    2 packs of gum
    aspirin
    1 baggie w/ lighter, 2AA and 2AAA batteries

Still need a few items like contact solution, hand sanitizer, baby wipes,small tarp, water filter straw and some energy bars/gronola bars.

Last edited:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I've taken a number of civilian survival courses over the years, and, some years back when I was developing a survival module for an aviation life support equipment program, I came to an epiphany, of sorts; sort of a "unified field theory" of survival.

Basically, your body is an engine. You need to fuel it, you need water to regulate temperature and transport energy to peripheral systems, you need to maintain the thermostat (body core temperature) in order for it to function properly. Food, shelter, water, 1st aid and the like are all interlocked in keeping the machinery going, and _each individual machine is different. What works for you won't work for me; what works for me won't necessarily work for my wife. What worked for me 15 years ago, won't work for me today.

yep, i think you both hit it on the head..... use what works for YOU. thats truely the most important. and to get to that point you just have to practice with your gear to see what does and doesnt work.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    UTC Tactical Messenger Bag
    40oz Klean Kanteen stainless bottle
    beanie
    gloves
    1 pair undies
    1 pair socks
    write anywhere note pad
    2 pens
    1 pencil
    1 whistle
    spare glasses
    nail kit (scissors, nail clippers, file, tweezers and comb)
    1 glow stick
    1 ultra mini mag light
    1 mini mag light
    SOG Seal Pup knife with shealth
    Leatherman Charge
    550 cord
    First Aid Kit
    .40 cal Sig Pro w/ 2 12 round mags
    *Survival Kit
    *Plastic container

DSC01339.jpg

DSC01338.jpg

*Survival Kit contents...
    Tin container
    lighter
    Magnesium fire starter
    2 cotton balls
    Berber Clutch
    Aluminum foil
    Survival blanket
    3 tea light candles
    1 razor blade
    1 sterile gauze pad
    2 alcohol wipes
    2 antibiotic ointment
    3 bandaids
    2 sheets paper
    -black case-
    pencil wrapped in string and tape
    folding scissors
    fishing line and leader
    safety pins and needles
    white trash bag
    hooks
    2 spools of thread
    *Plastic container contents...
    3 pair contacts
    contact case
    chap stick
    toothpaste
    whistle, compass, magnifyer, thermometer combo
    2 mini toothbrushes
    2 packs of gum
    aspirin
    1 baggie w/ lighter, 2AA and 2AAA batteries

Still need a few items like contact solution, hand sanitizer, baby wipes,small tarp, water filter straw and some energy bars/gronola bars.

Brother, Im REALY diggin your setup. VERY similar to my own. GREAT KIT!!! thanks for sharing. I would recomend others take note of this kit and use it as a base model to follow when making their own kits. I can tell a lot of experience and research has went into that kit!! :yesway::yesway: and rep when i get some back!!

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I actually just got around to switching out my winter gear for the summer stuff. Not a lot of difference, just less bulky due to fewer blankets/clothes. For me a get home bag isn't much different from a BOB or a pack that I would take to spend a week or two in the wilderness. I am more often than not, 1000 miles or more from home. In a crisis, it could conceivably take me weeks or months to get home. I'll try to post some pcs later this evening. I only wish it were easier to keep a long gun in the truck with me, as things are, my carry gun is all I've got to get me another or home or both;)

doug1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Crestview, Florida
    Brother, Im REALY diggin your setup. VERY similar to my own. GREAT KIT!!! thanks for sharing. I would recomend others take note of this kit and use it as a base model to follow when making their own kits. I can tell a lot of experience and research has went into that kit!! :yesway::yesway: and rep when i get some back!!

Thanks man. I've spent a lot of time getting all my stuff set up. The most important thing is to TEST all your equipment BEFORE TSHTF.

jaramia20

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Michigan City
    Hay SA !!!! How are things on your end of the state ? Just wanted to say hello and find out how this project is going . Would LOVE an AAR and find out what made the cut and what got droped .

One thing I did think of that I DIDN'T see here was , 1 PLANK check book ..... Just something to think on ....

Thank you
    J

Last edited:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    That pack is really too much for a Get Home Bag, but I"m still working on it. It does serve as my GHB for the moment, but I'm looking to condense. Actually, I'm getting ready to make a new thread to ask about alice packs and frames.

The idea is to change my BoB from the Urban Go style pack in the picture to a pack that will fit on the Alice Pack frame. I have a medium but want to upgrade it. This urban go pack is a bit big for a GHB too, but until I can afford something different it will have to do.

I'm looking at taking Ranger's advice and getting a messenger bag as it's lighter and more discrete. I've seen nothing but good reviews on the UTG bag, but Blackhawk makes a REALLY nice one that has a good string type closer on the main compartment under the flap.

BLACKHAWK! S.T.R.I.K.E. L.R.R.P. Butt Pack - BLACKHAWK!

It shows this one, but it's a butt pack, but I could have swore it was Blackhawk that had the messenger bag... Either way, that's the route I want to go for my GHB. Once I get it I'll sort through what gear goes in it.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I'm looking at taking Ranger's advice and getting a messenger bag as it's lighter and more discrete. I've seen nothing but good reviews on the UTG bag, but Blackhawk makes a REALLY nice one that has a good string type closer on the main compartment under the flap.

BLACKHAWK! S.T.R.I.K.E. L.R.R.P. Butt Pack - BLACKHAWK!

It shows this one, but it's a butt pack, but I could have swore it was Blackhawk that had the messenger bag... Either way, that's the route I want to go for my GHB. Once I get it I'll sort through what gear goes in it.

Maybe you are thinking of this one? Blackhawk Tactical Covert Carry Messenger Bag plus FREE SHIPPING, Blackhawk Tactical Bags, Blackhawk Tactical Nylon

If I worked in an area with more people & offices, I'd get something like that to blend in.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Maybe you are thinking of this one? Blackhawk Tactical Covert Carry Messenger Bag plus FREE SHIPPING, Blackhawk Tactical Bags, Blackhawk Tactical Nylon

If I worked in an area with more people & offices, I'd get something like that to blend in.

Yes, that's the one! Thanks!

It's between that one and this one....

BAG-225 - Leapers UTG Tactical Messenger Bag Black Quick Release Buckle Metal Zippers Adjustable Straps
    BAG-225_A.jpg

I'm just not sure that with a GHB, that I will need a LOT of gear. The Blackhawk bag is a bit big and would make it look like I had a LOT of stuff in it ripe for the taking. I seem to recall a bag like this UTG that had a drawstring closure under the flap which would be a little more desirable.

I wonder if one could be effectively sewn on to the UTG?

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Yes, that's the one! Thanks!

It's between that one and this one....
    I'm just not sure that with a GHB, that I will need a LOT of gear. The Blackhawk bag is a bit big and would make it look like I had a LOT of stuff in it ripe for the taking. I seem to recall a bag like this UTG that had a drawstring closure under the flap which would be a little more desirable.

I wonder if one could be effectively sewn on to the UTG?

You mean sewn onto the blackhawk one. The UTG has a drawstring flap. It's just like the Maxpedition bag I just traded to E5RANGER375.

If you look on the first MSG2 AAR, you can see what I fit in, with some room to spare. It'll carry just about any handgun you want, and it's looks easier to get to than the messenger bag.

I think either would be fine, though if you want to blend in better, I'd stay away from black. No black, no camo. Looks to tactical to me.

You can fit a good size naglene bottle, and I just found a camp cup that fits the bottom of those.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    You mean sewn onto the blackhawk one. The UTG has a drawstring flap. It's just like the Maxpedition bag I just traded to E5RANGER375.

If you look on the first MSG2 AAR, you can see what I fit in, with some room to spare. It'll carry just about any handgun you want, and it's looks easier to get to than the messenger bag.

I think either would be fine, though if you want to blend in better, I'd stay away from black. No black, no camo. Looks to tactical to me.

You can fit a good size naglene bottle, and I just found a camp cup that fits the bottom of those.

Actually I think black is pretty much universal. :dunno: Green looks more tactical than anything.

The maxpedition looks much better than the UTG. Especially in Khaki-foilage
    JUMBO VERSIPACK Concealed Carry Sling Bag - MAXPEDITION HARD-USE GEAR Tactical Nylon Gear for Military, Law Enforcement, Tactical Concealed Carry; Tailored to Perform Tactical

The UTG doesn't look like it has the main compartment drawstring like the MAX. :dunno: I think the Max is the better choice though. Looks more durable.

Top Bottom