• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    It means the gun makers have reacted to the demand much faster than the Ammo makers
    Or that most people buy 1 gun (maybe 2) and a LOT of boxes of ammo (if it's available).

How many people do you know that buy 10 guns, and 1 box of ammo? How many do you know that buy 1 gun, and 10 boxes of ammo?

jlin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    I stopped by the Castleton Gander after work today to check out the rearranged store. They have a ton of ammo in stock, but 99% of it is shotgun shells. The only non-shotgun ammo I saw looked to be unusual caliber and/or pricey self defense stuff that has probably been sitting on the shelf since before the rush on ammo.
    The gun section now encompasses the entire back wall of the store -- rifles on the left, handguns on the right. Archery and boating stuff on the south wall. The whole store feels less cluttered in general.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    Yep. They said this morning they had like 2 pallets of shotgun shells and to take as much as we wanted. Everything else was limited to 2 boxes per UPC, up to 10 boxes. We were numbers 139 and 140. 22lr was so limited we didn't bother waiting around to not buy any

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    Yes, Gander in Greenwood is stocked too! Hearing reports that Castleton Gander is the same. I guess Gander know how to make money in the current market.

I wonder if the people wanting more gun laws realize they have helped the economy by pushing for more restrictions?

Hoosier Daddy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    I stopped by the Greenwood store yesterday.
    I've never seen so many handguns in a store before.

Not much in the way of ammo, but there was some home defense, hollow points, etc...

Checkfoo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    After going in about a month ago and seeing regular .308 for $50.00 a box, I'm done with Gander and will never shop there again. Just taking advantage.

I know there are those who are going to throw their "capitalist ideals" at me and bang on about making a buck, supply and demand and all the rest of it. But its simply taking advantage of people during difficult times.

I was at Terre haute Gander mountain and seen people paying $26.99 for 100 round boxes of cci 22 LR. I shoke my head and left,WONT EVER GO BACK

Ahh the notorious 50 buck .308 and 24-26 dollar .22. These two monsters are priced the same as they were six months ago. One is the Federal Match Sierra 168 BTHP and the other is this Federal Ultra Match low velocity .22 ....? Not you typical range fodder. These prices usually run 10-20% higher than most LGS, but that isn't news to anyone, and is not some last minute gouge. Its the only stuff you saw because all of the $1.99 federal .22 and $8 no name brass .308 was sold off.

msquared

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    Ahh the notorious 50 buck .308 and 24-26 dollar .22. These two monsters are priced the same as they were six months ago. One is the Federal Match Sierra 168 BTHP and the other is this Federal Ultra Match low velocity .22 ....? Not you typical range fodder. These prices usually run 10-20% higher than most LGS, but that isn't news to anyone, and is not some last minute gouge. Its the only stuff you saw because all of the $1.99 federal .22 and $8 no name brass .308 was sold off.

I was about to point out the same thing. They have that match ammo on the shelf because its high priced match ammo. All the other stuff sells out in 15-30 minutes on Friday ammo delivery day. When they do have CCI mini-mag it is still $7.99 like it has been for a long time.
    People rip on GM all the time BUT when they do get ARs, they are the same price as before the madness. Carbon 15s around $800 and optic ready bushmasters for around $1050. Not the $1500-$2000 you see in some stores. Yes their ammo is higher than most. BUT other than the Remington ammo, they have not raised prices. Cost went up on remington, so did the price. They are at the mercy of corporate and the distribution centers as to what ammo they get each week. So dont gripe at the guy behind the counter trying to do the best he can with the mess that we are all in.
    I have also heard people whining that "the employees are hoarding it all".
    EMPLOYEES DO NOT GET A DISCOUNT ON GUNS OR AMMO!
    If you really want to do something constructive, yell at the people who are there at 0600 every week to be first in line and then sell it all on the web or in the parking lot for a profit. It really pisses me off to hear them week after week "give me everything you can" and their 2 or three buddies doing the same. That leaves the shooters, boy scouts and church groups trying to do classes with absolutely nothing.
    I am not trying to make GM out to be a wonderful store. It is far from it. They are understaffed and mostly care about selling you a credit card or product protection plan like most big box stores. But just cuz you see a box of 308 for $50 doesnt mean they are the devil. Hell there is a winchester in the used department of castleton for $8000 but that doesnt mean you cant find some decent guns at a decent price.

MMcarriesaSR9c

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Gun World

The Castleton Gander Mountain has been redesigned into a Gander Mountain "Gun World" like the one in Lafayette. This meas they are to get and carry more of everyhing guns, ammo, etc. I agree that they have a great gun selection now, but the ammo is still the same, in Thursday night and gone by Friday late morning. Crazy.........

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Gander

Oh, people whine because they can't get it for what they were paying last year, or because hoarders and flippers buy it all up. There may be more to it than simply gouging. Gander's kind of high at the best of times, and you know that. Maybe they're marking it up some to discourage hoarders and flippers, so it'll more likely be there if you really need some. Maybe, just maybe, they're paying more for it themselves, and it's marked up proportionally. Maybe they're just a bunch of richards. While things are this crazy is not the best time to evaluate whether or not to boycott someplace forever, unless they've done something egregious like CTD or Dick's.

And Gander Mountain has all the 9mm and .40 and .45 ammo a customer wants to buy? I think not !!

Hoosier Daddy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    I just stopped in the Castleton store. The guy told me Friday is "ammo day" and the line starts forming outside the store about 6AM!

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I just stopped in the Castleton store. The guy told me Friday is "ammo day" and the line starts forming outside the store about 6AM!

Why do they tell people this? This just ensures the speculators know exactly where and when to be somewhere. Get the stock in and randomly put it out on the shelves, at least then someone who really wants some ammo might have a chance to get some. As it is right now unless you're unemployed, retired, or come off a 3rd shift job you're not getting any ammo from Gander (not that I would buy any from them with their high prices but someone might want to).

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    Went there at lunch Friday (got a Model 12 :rockwoot:) and the ammo shelves were pretty full. Far more so than on Thursday.

But what kind of ammo was there? We were there Friday morning and all the handgun was behind the counters and sold by ticket number. Tickets were passed out in line in order of when you got there. Shotgun ammo they said they got 2 pallets and to take as much as we wanted. Rifle ammo (other then 223) should be looking good (I only looked for 30-06 but the shelves looked good).

hANNAbONE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Got on my Motorbike today and headed to Gander Mtn in Greenwood per all this earlier morning hype.
    Walked in and - W H A T T H E...!!!!
    Sheeeesh, they've got cases and cases of handguns.
    I mean really now - a ton of iron.

I checked out most of it - it seemed to be 10-20% higher than other LGS I've seen - but DAYUMM..! They've got a ton of stuff.

The guy that was helping me also said they had 2 TRAILERS with used iron they haven't put out yet.

I'm guessing that Gander has seen a chance to make a dent in an up market -- they are doing their level best to make a case for coming thru their doors.

Ammo - non-existent. 22LR / 9mm / 45 / 223 / you all know that story.

If you ever wanna check out a lot of handgun fitments - whether it's Kimber/Glock/Springfield/Sig/CZ/Para/etc etc...give 'em a look.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    I made the mistake of stopping in the G M store on East 86th Street in Indianapolis this afternoon. Their display cases are absolutely filled with handguns. The prices seemed to me to be 10 to 15 percent too high, but they had exactly what I was looking for. I did not buy, prefer to wait and see if a local dealer can supply me at a better price. Looked like they had virtually one of every revolver everyone makes. I'm not much interested in the semiautos so did not look closely, but they had a bunch of them too. Eye candy with a price tag!

But they still did not have any .22LR or .22WMR.

I was in the EVV GM earlier this week. They are the lowest I've seen them on handguns since I started going in there in December. "High" prices are a relative thing. If I can't find what I'm looking for, low prices do me no good whatsoever. I don't really want to run all over southern Indiana to save 10 or 20 bucks. I did manage to find a scoped Remington 597 that followed me home. I was very happy with its price. :D

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Went to Gander in Greenwood today, some good deals in the used cabinets. They have some 1911 Remington Rands that are marked R1's but are old us property marked guns. I picked up a really nice 629-4 6 inch for 499.00, hardly looks fired (which is understandable they usually are used very little) don't know why I bought it though :dunno: There was a really nice police positive 4 inch for 399 that was tempting too. Want a broomhandle mauser they got one of those too for around 800?

sharkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Hognuts' Liberal ****hole
    But what kind of ammo was there? We were there Friday morning and all the handgun was behind the counters and sold by ticket number. Tickets were passed out in line in order of when you got there. Shotgun ammo they said they got 2 pallets and to take as much as we wanted. Rifle ammo (other then 223) should be looking good (I only looked for 30-06 but the shelves looked good).

They were stocking the shelves. Rifle, shotgun and rimfire were well stocked, handgun was better stocked than the previous day, with limited selection. No behind-the-counter ammo that I noticed.

Top Bottom