• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • msquared

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    Why do they tell people this? This just ensures the speculators know exactly where and when to be somewhere. Get the stock in and randomly put it out on the shelves, at least then someone who really wants some ammo might have a chance to get some. As it is right now unless you're unemployed, retired, or come off a 3rd shift job you're not getting any ammo from Gander (not that I would buy any from them with their high prices but someone might want to).

What would you like them to tell the customers who ask "when do you get more ammo"??? I dunno? Never? Cant tell you cuz you will just add to the crowd? Or as you suggest - randomly so you have to stop by often to see which ammo we put out that day/hour? People are constantly asking when, where, how much, what kind, can you call me, is there a list, ill give you $20 to hide some for me blah blah blah... its a no win situation.
    Bottom line is corporate doesnt care who gets the ammo as long as they get the money. Management wants freight put out ASAP not randomly so people can drop by and win the ammo lottery.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    What would you like them to tell the customers who ask "when do you get more ammo"??? I dunno? Never? Cant tell you cuz you will just add to the crowd? Or as you suggest - randomly so you have to stop by often to see which ammo we put out that day/hour? People are constantly asking when, where, how much, what kind, can you call me, is there a list, ill give you $20 to hide some for me blah blah blah... its a no win situation.
    Bottom line is corporate doesnt care who gets the ammo as long as they get the money. Management wants freight put out ASAP not randomly so people can drop by and win the ammo lottery.

Sorry I didn't mean to offend you, you must be one of those friday morning ammo zombies. I didn't mean to propose something that would cut into your gouging profits from the classifieds or armslist.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    I will say its crazy how gander mountain has remodeled their entire back of the store and increased their guns section at least 3 fold, the problem is the ammo section seems to have gotten smaller! except for the shotgun ammo, they've got a huge selection its nuts.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Dropped by yesterday in Castleton. Their handgun section is larger than Cabelas in Hammond. Huge. Also they had a lot more ammo than Cabelas has at this time. Not a lot of handgun ammo but lots of rifle. I was impressed.

Tomfoolery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Auburn IN
    Is everyone ignoring that upwards of 5 million NEW people just went through a NICS system and they are going to want to feed their firearms as much as we do.That isn't total firearms sales either, it's new purchasers. Combine that with an already robust gun buying community (going grape ape) and the amount of ammo isn't going to hold out.

Add in s small number of people who go out and wait on ammo at places like WalMart, Meijer and Fleet Farm and they can do what all other people of a business mind can do. Use leverage. They are a small group buying a small quantity and they can use that to their advantage by charging 2x over what the ammo cost them. 22LR was $20-25 a box at WalMart for one of those Federal 550 packs before hand, now look at it.

Taken from the FW500 yesterday...
    fw500005.jpg

People will pay it, they'll stand in line to pay it. While this sucks for new buyers and I do have empathy, I really do. For all you established people... no pity. We said this was going to happen. We straight up and down shouted on our soapbox that you needed to stock up years ago and you needed to stack deep, real damn deep. If you didn't you're like those poor souls yelling at Noah to let them on the arc once the rain hits (I'm an atheist but that analogy works lol). You knew better. Let me repeat that YOU KNEW BETTER. You either didn't care, didn't want to believe it yourself or kept procrastinating. I've been on guns since the 90s (don't sweat me real old schoolers I can't help it I was born a Carter baby) and I remember when they used to actually give you a case of 1,000 jsut for buying a new and unfired SKS packed in cosmoline at gunshows. So these prices have sucked for a real long time.

If you didn't stack cheap Norinco yellow or green box steel core while you could you missed out

If you didn't stack M67 while you could you missed out.

If you didn't take $500 to a WalMart 2 years ago and buy up a lifetime supply of 22LR you have now missed out.

I'm sitting pretty because I actually practice what I preach.

Checkfoo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You pic above kind of made me laugh. I droped by the K's Show in Fort Wayne and three vendor tables had private sellers who looked pretty familar. These individuals looked familar because I see them every Thrusday morning maxing out the ammo on the Gander shelves. Everything is pretty much 100% mark up. Better than 200% mark up, but it's kind of funny to see the resale machine in full effect from this standpoint.

Last edited:

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I really am not a salesman for them but they do offer price matching. There are signs in the store for the literate.

I'm curious as to how their "price matching" works? Say a LGS has a gun (or ammo) for a much lower price, will they call to verify or is it only on flyer prices. If its the latter, seems pretty worthless to me.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Their gun section in the Greenwood store now stretches across the entire back of this store and yes they have guns in stock. I asked one of the clerks about that and he said they have had guns warehoused for months anticipating this expansion. Prices are still too high and they still don't have much in the way of ammo.

Checkfoo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm curious as to how their "price matching" works? Say a LGS has a gun (or ammo) for a much lower price, will they call to verify or is it only on flyer prices. If its the latter, seems pretty worthless to me.

The flyer is the easiest method so Basspro, Cabelas, Dicks, Midwest Gun exchange.... show me a flyer or an add on a smartphone and that's good enough. Any LGS within 100NM on the ground and a phone call to check the price. Pretty painless.

msquared

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    Sorry I didn't mean to offend you, you must be one of those friday morning ammo zombies. I didn't mean to propose something that would cut into your gouging profits from the classifieds or armslist.

Nope not even close. I am on the other side of the counter putting up with those friday morning ammo zombies.

Seriously what would you have a GM employee say when everyone asks "when do you get ammo?"?

barnstormer37

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2013

Many LGS's won't give a price over the phone. I know that if it were my business, I would not. And in particular to another retailer so that they could price match and steal my potential customer.

And I agree that matching advertised prices is virtually worthless. Most local shops don't advertise a lot and the big stores usually just show a rifle or shotgun or two, maybe one handgun. Price match policy in practically worthless.

Truckman68

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2013
    NWI
    I was in the Gander Mtn in Merrillville Friday morn, all they had was match grade. Why would mfgrs even make that right now when there is such a shortage on regular?

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    This. I browsed the Greenwood store a couple of weeks ago and they were sticking .45acp at the same kind of prices. I didn't need any but was curious about prices.
    All I bought was targets. I could have bought cheaper but I was there, I was out of targets, and didn't want to run all over creation looking for about $1.00 difference.

I was at the Greenwood store Saturday looking for .40SW HST.

They had it! For only $33/20.:rolleyes:

I left without it. Laxammo has HST for $40/50, or close to half what Gander wanted.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Many LGS's won't give a price over the phone. I know that if it were my business, I would not. And in particular to another retailer so that they could price match and steal my potential customer.

And I agree that matching advertised prices is virtually worthless. Most local shops don't advertise a lot and the big stores usually just show a rifle or shotgun or two, maybe one handgun. Price match policy in practically worthless.

Which is why the stores have those "matching" policies. They can get the public to think they mean something, yet not incur any real risk to business revenue.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County

No different than what a lot of LGSs do. They put a marked up price in the display that allows for "bargaining room". If you're to stoopid to know this you wind up paying the higher price anyway.

If you are a GM hater or if you are posting FOR a LGS then you aren't going to like anything GM does. Apparently their business model must be working because they have plenty of product and plenty of customers.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

The shop I worked at used to get box stores or other gunshops calling all the time to price match. After awhile we knew who they were so we would just quote cost or below and let them work with that.

Dagoney22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    NWI-Merrillville
    Ammo at Gander is the same now as it was pre-crisis....people just left the match grade stuff that has always been expensive because they want to hoard bulk...no one paid 26.99 for 100 rds of cci minimag at Gander. I was there on their truck day and it was 6.99 like it always is.

Checkfoo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Which is why the stores have those "matching" policies. They can get the public to think they mean something, yet not incur any real risk to business revenue.

Only 2 stores in Ft. Wayne that don't give price over the phone.

The shop I worked at used to get box stores or other gunshops calling all the time to price match. After awhile we knew who they were so we would just quote cost or below and let them work with that.

Awesome, that helps Gander out more than ever

How every gun shop works

Only two of sixty shops in the area don't quote price

I know haters gona hate, just the way life is, but a big box store like this doesn't care if an employee marks down a few guns to a lower price to match a LGS. It sells 95% at marked cost so allowing employees to transfer a Glock 19 for $469.99 to match Midwest Guns isn't a biggie.

Top Bottom