• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    That's not just Gander Mountain. A gun shop isn't going to give you high value for a trade in. They intend to make money.

If you want more money, sell it yourself.

For awhile Gander was my go to place to sell stuff as they did offer decent sell/trade prices which eliminated the hassle of selling it myself. After awhile though they went downhill and seemed even worse than most LGS's. I was a buyer for an LGS so I know the deal. But when they tried to offer me 300.00 for a like new Browning BT-99 that they sell for almost 1200.00 I knew that they had lost their mind.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I know I will never take advantage of Gander's "Gun trade in" deal again. Idiot tried to offer me $90 for my ruger 10/22 cause he said it was only 75% of excellent condition. I laughed and walked way!! I am bias but I would have put my gun next to their new ones due to its condition.

You get just as good a deal at GM (or any retail GS) trading in a used gun as you will get at a car dealership. Expect to get net approx. 50% of what you can sell it for privately. They will give you the WHOLESALE used price and then sell it for the RETAIL price. That's called markup and that is how retail businesses stay open and pay salaries, rent, insurance, taxes, utilities, etc. This is why private sales are popular with experienced buyers and sellers.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    You get just as good a deal at GM (or any retail GS) trading in a used gun as you will get at a car dealership. Expect to get net approx. 50% of what you can sell it for privately. They will give you the WHOLESALE used price and then sell it for the RETAIL price. That's called markup and that is how retail businesses stay open and pay salaries, rent, insurance, taxes, utilities, etc. This is why private sales are popular with experienced buyers and sellers.

That or they didn't know what they were doing or what value to put on it? More than once while trying to sell to Gander I had to point out where in the blue book my gun was, didn't give me a lot of confidence in their ability to appraise its value correctly. There's only a hundred variations and price differences in 10/22's. You're right though private sale is much better.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    I was in the E'ville GM last night and boy did it feel like a shark tank at feeding time. A pallet full of ammo was the chum. People were circling the isles back and forth in a freenzy as two employees where stocking the shelves praying for any 22lr to land. They did have plenty of mosin food on the selves.

d012

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    The full stock at Gander is not in my town yet, the rifles do seem to be in decent stock. The prices are higher and if you order on line there is a $25 shipping charge from their warehouse to the store.

Top Bottom