Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    So, any thoughts on "Stormborn"?

I may never eat chicken pot pie again.

And: GRRM's intent, or convenient/creative license, that Missandei points out that the gender is "neutral" in the Azor Ahai prophecy?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Felt rushed, and predictable at parts... mostly in the first half though. Like they had very little time to get through these plot points, so the time gap jumps felt forced.

Otherwise, strong finish. Show definitely has a different feel to it this season... not sure if for the better or worse yet.

I understand they had to work with the pacing of the books initially... so this season getting right into the meat of things, bringing characters together really quick... it's different. Feels obvious that the writing is changed.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Felt rushed, and predictable at parts... mostly in the first half though. Like they had very little time to get through these plot points, so the time gap jumps felt forced.

Otherwise, strong finish. Show definitely has a different feel to it this season... not sure if for the better or worse yet.

I understand they had to work with the pacing of the books initially... so this season getting right into the meat of things, bringing characters together really quick... it's different.

The pacing has definitely changed. Maybe they just got tired of writing, but it definitely feels like they're compressing two full seasons into 13 episodes.

And some of the dialogue has been... meh.

But the movement of the story, and the directions it is taking? I'm all in.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

And: GRRM's intent, or convenient/creative license, that Missandei points out that the gender is "neutral" in the Azor Ahai prophecy?

Lol, yeah that scene with Jorah was brutally gross... and the transition to the pot pie, was just yuck.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

I understand they had to work with the pacing of the books initially... so this season getting right into the meat of things, bringing characters together really quick... it's different. Feels obvious that the writing is changed.

Yeah, it's moving fast, but it's still doing great job. That exchange between Dany and Varys was awesome. I thought Varys was about to end up toast, but he held his own and pretty much came out the better of the exchange.... and Dany is starting to worry me. Euron, is a beast! Whomever called that his "gift" would be the sand snakes was spot on. Theon goes full Reek, but I don't blame him.... and Hot Pie needs to stop eating all his pies. That boy has blown up.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I'm ready for the next book to come out already but the show is still one of my favorites on TV right now and I really love Arya. She is in full beast mode right now. Or was until.she learned of her family back in the north

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Wish they would have spread this out another season so it wouldn't feel rushed....I've read that HBO looking into four GOT spinoff projects, not sure where they would land on the chronological timetable just yet. I think one involving the mad king would be cool!

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis

Intent. As memory serves, in the books the Maester that Sam is training under leaves to go help at the Danny because he believes she is the prophecied one. He makes it explicit that the actual words of the prophecy we're not specifically male.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Wish they would have spread this out another season so it wouldn't feel rushed....I've read that HBO looking into four GOT spinoff projects, not sure where they would land on the chronological timetable just yet. I think one involving the mad king would be cool!

It would, but Robert's Rebellion is too close to the events of the show. I think if they are to do spinoffs, Dunk and Egg or the Blackfyre Rebellion would be the most obvious to go with. Aegons Conquest or a story on Bran the Builder would be cool too, but I think that would be really expensive to make.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Intent. As memory serves, in the books the Maester that Sam is training under leaves to go help at the Danny because he believes she is the prophecied one. He makes it explicit that the actual words of the prophecy we're not specifically male.

It's been a minute since I've read the books, but I don't remember that part.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    It's been a minute since I've read the books, but I don't remember that part.
    Maestro Aemon first says it:

"No one ever looked for a girl," he said. "It was a prince that was promised, not a princess. Rhaegar, I thought... What fools we were, who thought ourselves so wise! The error crept in from the translation. Dragons are neither male nor female, Barth saw the truth of that, but now one and now the other, as changeable as flame. The language misled us all for a thousand years. Daenerys is the one, born amidst salt and smoke. The dragons prove it." Just talking of her seemed to make him stronger. "I must go to her. I must."

Archmaester Marwyn later acts on it.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw

I think this "final" season is effectively two. I believe 7 episodes now and 6 in 2018.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Seems to be the next one coming, by the same creators of GOT. A lot of negative comments are being voiced about this.

?
    Game of Thrones? creators new HBO show: 'Confederate' - Business Insider

I think it will probably be interesting, at the very least, and HBO has excellent writers so it will probably be good.... but I do think that the timing is an attempt to take advantage of the social strife our nation has been experiencing. This show will surely stir lots of emotion, so I question he wisdom in releasing a series at such a time.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom