• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    You do realize that selling a gun to someone 20 years of age is legal?
    Now 17 and it could have been an issue.

Ah, didnt know that. I thought it was 18 for scatterguns/rifles, 21 for handguns? If only a month or so after transaction he turned 21, then he would have been 20. So, on that note, I would not be too unhappy, BUT, its a reminder to me to DEFINITELY check the age in the future.

As for low posters: I have not had an issue yet, but so far, so good. I generally dont look at the post count, but I do check out their posts. If they are good, then I am okay, but if they are just trying to get post count up (you can tell by the quality of their posts), then I pass.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    snip

Ah, didnt know that. I thought it was 18 for scatterguns/rifles, 21 for handguns? If only a month or so after transaction he turned 21, then he would have been 20. So, on that note, I would not be too unhappy, BUT, its a reminder to me to DEFINITELY check the age in the future.

snip

That is the requirement for FFL holders only. A person who is 18 can own a handgun but cannot purchase a handgun from a FFL. Since they are able to own, there is nothing wrong with you selling them a handgun, as long as they are 18 and you don't hold a FFL.

The confusion arises because state and federal laws are different. The feds made the rules for FFL holders which say "no handgun sales to anyone under 21". The state rule says that you must be 18 to own. So now we have this confusing situation where an 18 y/o can buy a handgun FTF but not in a gun shop.

Hope this helps

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Them's fightin' words!:draw:

Ok lets make it fair. Go get 3 of your friends and meet me at VFW.:D
    Beers are on me.

I likes the Navy, nice boats, good docs, and pretty women.

At least you were not in the Army.

picture.php

alxjmrk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Indy, Nora area
    I was, just a few minutes ago, politely denied sale in the middle of a FTF because I am 2 weeks from being 21. There was not a 100% certainty about the legality of it, so he did not feel right selling it. It made me upset because i showed as much proof as i could find and found statutes saying only over 18 was required. He called Gander mountain and the guy he talked to said, somewhat unsure, "technically" he couldnt sell FTF to under 21. now i am without a new XD 40. :n00b:

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    Ok. I'm new here and haven't bought or sold anything, but what about the other side of the transaction? Has anybody arranged for FTF, then backed out of the deal because the gun wasn't as advertised? Or you changed your mind once it was in your hand? That sounds like a problem to me, especially if you drive halfway across the state to meet somebody.

outlaw2842

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Ok. I'm new here and haven't bought or sold anything, but what about the other side of the transaction? Has anybody arranged for FTF, then backed out of the deal because the gun wasn't as advertised? Or you changed your mind once it was in your hand? That sounds like a problem to me, especially if you drive halfway across the state to meet somebody.
    yes ive had this happened to me a few times now.see a gun you like,look at a few pictures,go drive a few hours to go get it.and it wasnt even the same gun the guy in the pics!!i was more than mad!

MoTown

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    West Lafayette
    I've never had any experience like that regarding firearms, but I have definitely held out on selling coral to people that I did not feel had proper knowledge of the piece they wanted to buy. Those are always fun situations to explain :P

I've also gone to buy a couple things (like a set of taillights for my car that -little did I know- was set up in the ghetto of Detroit) that were not at all as described. I've had a few occasions where I have hopped right back in my car after a look and drove off. Frustrating situation, to say the least.

TripleL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    The Rockies
    I was, just a few minutes ago, politely denied sale in the middle of a FTF because I am 2 weeks from being 21.

That would have upset me, too. Clearly the seller was careful not to do anything illegal and that's a good sign. And, two weeks is not a long time. If it were me, and really wanted the XD, I'd have arranged to complete the sale after two weeks assuming the seller could wait that long. We can't always be right and still win but it will show that you're a responsible person. Maybe it's not too late to get that XD.

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    just f.y.i. for everyone, it is legal to sell a handgun to someone FTF as long as they are at least 18 and have a clean record.

i personally have never backed out of a sale, but agree with those who say it is a responsibility if the person in question is shady. trust your gut instinct...and/or get proper proof.

alxjmrk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Indy, Nora area
    Yeah I spoke to the seller and he is very willing to
    hold it for the 2 weeks. I'm not bummed, I was just afraid I wouldn't be able to take advantage of the great deal

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I have no issues with walking away, almost did a few times, but can't judge a book by its cover. Just because someone's name on INGO is as innocent as Scutter01 or IndyRoadie, doesn't mean they're good people until you've met them FTF one way or another. I will say this, for anyone who has or will deal with me FTF in a firearms transfer post count and one liners are no replacement for a true size up, the first time you do a transaction with me I always have someone watching from a distance. We are after all making a firearms deal and you know those darn things have a mind of their own, never know when they might commit a crime! :D

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    You were legal age for a person to person sale

I was, just a few minutes ago, politely denied sale in the middle of a FTF because I am 2 weeks from being 21. There was not a 100% certainty about the legality of it, so he did not feel right selling it. It made me upset because i showed as much proof as i could find and found statutes saying only over 18 was required. He called Gander mountain and the guy he talked to said, somewhat unsure, "technically" he couldnt sell FTF to under 21. now i am without a new XD 40. :n00b:

The law does not allow a FFL dealer to sell a handgun to a resident under the age of 21. As long as the person buying the gun is over 18, a resident of the State of Indiana and appears to be a person of good character you can buy or trade handguns. I would still ask for a photo ID and exchange names and contact info; plus the buyer should give the seller a receipt. Only licensed gun dealers are restricted from selling handguns to those under the age of 21. The guy at Gander Mountain should have known that; perhaps something else triggered this reaction with the seller. Ask him.

XFCTR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Columbus
    I think as responsible citizens that want to reduce the posibility of gun control by our beloved government we should be very choosey on whom we sell to or buy from. When in doubt walk away. That said, don't read the book by the cover. Sometimes people fall into different things and just happen to look a little off. After talking with some people I have found they are completely different than my first impression. Stay in control.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Take the safe route every time you do a sale.

Most of my transfers and gun sales I get through Gunbroker.com and meet face to face for the transfer with very little knowledge of the person yet so far I have had nothing but positive experiences. I had one denied due to a prior felony and a couple delayed but even these people acted respectful and were very cooroperative throughout the process.

I have done a few transfers and gun sales for INGO members and overall have also had a very positive experience with them. I must say that there are a couple forum members who I would refuse to do business with because of what I have read in their posts. They are very immature and careless with their guns and I do not want to be responsible for in any way putting a gun it their hands. Some brag how many guns they already have but they didn’t get them from me so I can sleep well at night.

If it does not feel right to you don’t make the sale; trust me you will find another buyer. It is not worth running the risk of becoming dragged into a crime investigation to make a few bucks. Lawyers start at a thousand dollars which is a lot more than you will ever make on any transaction so be smart and follow your first impression. :twocents:

alxjmrk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Indy, Nora area
    well, i got a call back from the seller this evening asking if i wanted to buy a gun. i was quite surprised. they informed me they called an old contact that works at ATF and it was confirmed 100% that I am able to purchase from the seller. I am happy things worked out, but was still willing to wait the 2 weeks if necessary. :rockwoot:

Top Bottom