• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snojet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2009
    Carmel
    To anyones knowledge, has anyone been convicted or linked to a crime for selling a firearm with or without a paper trail?
    To sort-of answer my own question, I believe that the gun store and 3rd party that was of age (that bought one of the guns for the youth) got in trouble with the law when the Columbine shooting took place years ago.
    But again, if I sold a gun to another person that "I" felt to be "okay". Would I get into trouble?
    Disclaimer, I have not really researched this, that's because I've not really had a need. Simply curious and wanting to join the conversation.
    I personally have not heard of one (from a person to person transaction), but then again I have not bought or sold any guns in a very long time.
    In fact, when I did sell (way back when), on the bill of sale we both exchanged SSN's. Thankfully, I am still friends with that person, so I don't really have a worry about my Identity being stolen. I would not do that now. My next transaction, I would have to have at least a drivers license number, name, and address at a minimum. I would provide the same too.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Never had to back out of a deal when FTF, but I would in a heart beat if I had to. I have turned down offers to buy because of low post counts and weird request (late night meeting in 1/2 an hour). Some may not agree but I will not sell to someone with a low post count (under 100). If I don't like you I will not buy or sell regardless of post count or site supporter/advertiser status.:twocents:

Buckhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shelby Co
    FTF

+1 for doing the right thing. I would not sell to anyone who I had any reason to think wasn't living right. In fact, I refused sale once to guy that was otherwise a friend, because I didn't think he was up for the responsibility of gun owership.

I have actually turned down a "friend" before for the same reason.

As for backing out of deals, I have never had to back out of any but would in a heartbeat if it didn't feel right. I have only made deals with close friends, family, and quite a few folks here on INGO.

+1 :ingo:

rlynch25

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    South East Indy
    I would not hesitate to back out of a deal if it feels wrong. Much more harm could be done by selling to the wrong person than not selling to the right person.

Mr.Lubie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    I'm pretty much with everyone here.I haven't had to yet,but if it feels off follow your gut.
    Great thread +1

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    I have actually turned down a "friend" before for the same reason.

As for backing out of deals, I have never had to back out of any but would in a heartbeat if it didn't feel right. I have only made deals with close friends, family, and quite a few folks here on INGO.

+1 :ingo:

I refused to sell a weapon to one friend for the same reason...even though he claimed to know what he was doing. He somehow put a bullet through his wall with a SA xd40sc he purchased after I refused to sell him my glock. After that he came to me for safety instruction and a range buddy....would I sell to him now? Absolutely.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Not yet. It could happen, though. I've backed out of a couple of online negotiations because it got pretty wonky. One guy (he posts VERY seldom and always puts the complete offers/trades/etc. in thread) was an absolute nut case. :n00b:

doublebarrel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 26, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I haven't backed out of a deal but had people done that to me before, a no show. I agree with people there are times it's right to step away. I don't want my guns end up in the hands of criminals...

55spartan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Southern IN
    I have had a situation where the person was reluctant to show ID. I told him flat out that he would not get the gun unless I saw his picture Indiana DL. I also recorded his name and addy for my records only.

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    If I bought handgun from a good friend That I know He bought new, Will I get in trouble if havn't transferred it to Me. I have a permit just wanting to stay legal, Thans for Your help in advance Dan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I have had a situation where the person was reluctant to show ID. I told him flat out that he would not get the gun unless I saw his picture Indiana DL. I also recorded his name and addy for my records only.

You are welcome to insist on such terms, but be aware that you will then have to refuse sales to many of the members on this board. For a FTF transaction you are not required to obtain any personal information, simply viewing a state ID is sufficient. Is it wise to give your name and address to a person you just purchased a firearm from? Now they know where you live and that you are a gun enthusiast. Perhaps you'd make an ideal target for theft?

Do as you wish, I mean no harm, but your requirements are nothing more than personal beliefs. The home-made piece of paper will not save you "in case something happens." A person's refusal to give you a copy of their driver's license or LTCH does not imply that they are shady. In fact, I'd take it as a sign that they understand their rights. I will let you see that I have a state ID, and nothing more. Just food for thought, don't lump all those who agree with me into the "shady" category.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    I have yet to sell my first FTF firearm but here are my guidelines. Personally I require LTCH for handguns and Indiana ID or DL, and at least DL for long arm. If I don't feel comfortable, I walk away. Sorry but I don't want to take a chance and sell to someone who may not otherwise be able acquire a gun. Also, I will generally try to complete bill of sale, just to keep for my own records in case the gun is later used in crime.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    I walked away from a FTF at a gunshow in Florida once...had a G22 I was selling, but something just seemed a bit off about the guy, he was WAY too eager to complete the sale. Kept trying to stick the cash in my hand almost before I could complete a sentence.

My criteria for a FTF usually just involves a smile and a handshake....but outside of INGO members I almost never sell/trade to private parties...not by intention, it just works out that way. I'm usually a good judge of character...if something doesn't smell right, it ain't gonna happen.

Not to threadjack...but on a related note, I have a friend that once purportedly got a visit from the ATF regarding a private sale...apparently a pistol that he'd sold turned up somewhere else as a murder weapon!

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I am a little miffed about a sale I did once: A younger guy I sold a handgun to. He looked sort of young, but I thought nothing of it. A few months later, he posts that he just turned 21 (yes, he is a member here). I about flipped. From here on out, I need to start carding like for liqour! Its about the knowingly section of the law, but darn! I expected slightly better than that. It does go to show you that you have to be more careful about sales.

I dont mind how someone dresses, but actions are the biggest thing to me. I will deny someone a sale based on their language or actions.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I am missing your point. He was an adult, at the time you sold it to him.
    Something else to the story?

He seemed of age and I sold him the gun. He even talked about getting his permit (he visited the office to get it) BUT, a month or so later, he wrote on the forum about just turning 21. I didnt know his age at the time of transaction. Now, I ask for ID if they dont look old enough.:xmad:

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Some may not agree but I will not sell to someone with a low post count (under 100). If I don't like you I will not buy or sell regardless of post count or site supporter/advertiser status.:twocents:

Hmmm... Sounds like I should get posting! :D

Top Bottom