Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edporch
    A driver that intentionally blocks an interstate highway so that traffic builds up behind them is threatening the lives of everybody around them MUCH more than overall traffic flow that's going over the speed limit.

All it would take is ONE vehicle to have a blowout or other mechanical failure (this includes the one doing the road blocking) and a major pileup would occur.

So you promote the intentional breaking of the law by speeding. Even if both vehicles are driving the speed limit.
    =====
    I "promote" that not EVERYBODY you encase in your "rolling parking lot" is speeding.
    Many ARE running at about your same speed and are caught in your web.

EVEN if everybody drove the EXACT speed limit by their speedometer, there's enough variation between individual vehicles to cause traffic to back up behind you.

Most people don't know many speedos are calibrated to read 2-3 mph FASTER than the vehicle is actually going at highway speed by the manufacturer to avoid lawsuits.
    For example, my car and motorcycle both are like this.

So when you MIX vehicles with varying speedometer precision, EVEN with everybody going the speed limit to THEM, there will be traffic back ups.

So when you're righteously blocking off the road going exactly 55 by YOUR speedo, you (or others that do this) actually are going slower than the speed limit.
    Traffic will back up behind them.

=====
    If drivers actually follow the rules and allow proper spacing between each vehicle instead of crawling up each others bumper to "push" that guy a little faster in front of them, pile ups would not happen.
    =====

And when one tries to follow YOUR space rule, people will continue to cut in the gaps and make it impossible to to keep proper spacing.

If driver would stop trying to act like their own police force and cause traffic to back up, pileups would be reduced too

Quote:
    Even the Police will OFTEN pull off and let traffic go by when they create this condition because they see the danger of it like any other person with half a brain does.

====
    Slow down, allow a minimum of 15 feet per 10 mph and pileups diminish, of course there's still the idiot not paying attention eating the doughnut and reading the paper while having a cup of coffee in their lap that causes it all to happen.
    =====

Spacing is not possible in traffic jams like YOU create because vehicles will just keep perpetually filling the spaces.

You must not see this phenomenon because you're always at the head of the pack blocking everybody. :laugh:

Quote:
    Even the Police will OFTEN pull off and let traffic go by when they create this condition because they see the danger of it like any other person with half a brain does.

======
    Not the reason why he pulls over, he's done his job for that stretch of roadway, he slowed everyone down, now he's out to get a speeder and start the cycle all over again.
    ======

Yes, it often is. I often see them getting off at an exit, then continuing on in the same direction they were going after the rolling parking lot passes.

I have a friend who's dad was a Marion County Deputy and he told me the same thing.

Quote:
    For an individual to intentionally block off an interstate highway using the LIE that they're increasing safety by doing it is either an idiot or just an *sshole that gets off on screwing with people.
    ======
    Leave 5 minutes earlier and avoid the blood pressure increase, it will lengthen your life.:)
    ======
    It makes NO difference how much earlier any of us leave, because whether we follow the speed limit or not, we will get caught in rolling parking lots that you and people like you create as they grow in size.

Well, everybody have a great weekend.
    Am out the door til Monday in a few minutes so flame away...:laugh:

Last edited:

JLB768

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Bloomington
    Ok, so let me steal it and I have no issues with driving it that way for you :)... Oh wait, you probably already take care of that yourself.

LOL, I actually don't drive this one all that hard, I got that out of my system with my Z06. But I certainly don't baby it...

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    Yield signs mean yield - not wait til i'm 10 feet from you on a round about and floor it causing me to yield to you.

Stop signs have already been addressed but it amazes me that if there is more than one car at a fourway stop it becomes a mexican standoff.

And what about the people driving these cars with the bungee cords and duct tape holding there trunks/hoods shut that think nothing to it driving way under the limit on a two lane road, with a parade forming behind them.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I hate when I'm cruising down the highway at 70-75 mph, and I come up to a line of trucks in the right lane doing 60 mph, and the guy in the very last truck waits until I'm right up to them to cut me off by changing lanes in front of me, and then proceeds to pass every other truck in that line at a speed of 60.001 mph.

Really? He couldn't wait 3 more seconds for me to actually PASS him?

And before people chime in and say it's because they can't see me... that's BS. I've actually on the rare occasion heard them laughing about it on the CB.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    The other thing not really being mentioned here is that the speed limit on 65 outside of Indy is different for Trucks than it is for the average vehicle. So those arguing that "speeders blame others and not themselves" doesn't really hold water when the speed limit for a passenger vehicle is 70 and 65 for tractor-trailers. So yes, when I am in the left lane going faster than you and you decide to cut me off, it is on you, not me.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Different speed limits for cars and trucks is a traffic hazard, IMO. Speed governors too. Especially since most drivers get paid by the mile. Gotta make up lost time somehow.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Well since you decided I'm the one causing the rolling roadblock which I'm not here you go.

Quote:
    Most people don't know many speedos are calibrated to read 2-3 mph FASTER than the vehicle is actually going at highway speed by the manufacturer to avoid lawsuits.
    For example, my car and motorcycle both are like this.

So when you MIX vehicles with varying speedometer precision, EVEN with everybody going the speed limit to THEM, there will be traffic back ups.

So when you're righteously blocking off the road going exactly 55 by YOUR speedo, you (or others that do this) actually are going slower than the speed limit.
    Traffic will back up behind them.

Sorry to break the news to you, but speedometers +/- 2-3 mph, and not set as you say to avoid lawsuits.

Traffic will back up because of idiots who leave home 5-10 minutes late and seem that they are entitled to run above the speed limit (breaking the law), regardless of the fact if there is vehicles running side by side at the same mph at the proper speed limit, face it, there are idiots among us while driving.

And when one tries to follow YOUR space rule, people will continue to cut in the gaps and make it impossible to to keep proper spacing.

If driver would stop trying to act like their own police force and cause traffic to back up, pileups would be reduced too

Once again, see the above bold text, if everyone leaves on time for their expected drive at the proper speed and and time frame, there is no problem. It's people who feel like they are entitled to speed and run up the rear of vehicles running the correct speed limit that create this problem.

Spacing is not possible in traffic jams like YOU create because vehicles will just keep perpetually filling the spaces.

You must not see this phenomenon because you're always at the head of the pack blocking everybody. :laugh:

No, I leave at the right time everyday expecting it to take 5 minutes longer then what it should and expect idiots to do exactly what they do every day, leave home 5 minutes late, drive like their qualifying @ the 500 and create the same problem everyday.

At my job, I'm the guy driving the truck looking on in disbelief at the 90 percent of idiots on the road who need another course of drivers ed and etiquette by the way the speed, dive in and out and think they should be the only one on the road and that everyone else should pull over to the berm so they may pass at their pleasure.

Yes, it often is. I often see them getting off at an exit, then continuing on in the same direction they were going after the rolling parking lot passes.

I have a friend who's dad was a Marion County Deputy and he told me the same thing.
    WOW, you agree with me, I guess I know a thing or two.

It makes NO difference how much earlier any of us leave, because whether we follow the speed limit or not, we will get caught in rolling parking lots that you and people like you create as they grow in size.

Assume, that's right you assume that I'm the one of the people causing the problem because of my points in my previous post. Which I'm not, you see I'm a profession driver, I hold a Class A CDL license, I see people every day create the traffic problems that we have.

From the people who are impatient as all get out because they feel the need to run 3 mph faster than everyone else, to the people who are late and feel that they are more important than everyone else who is approaching road construction and merging correctly a mile in advance while they run 20 mph over the speed limit until the last possible second and then dive over causing the ripple effect of drivers having to panic brake.

Thus 90 percent of the problems we have today is because of people who leave at the last possible minute or 5 minutes late.

So if everyone could drive like a responsible adult instead of some F-ing prima dona and think the world should kiss there rear because they feel entitled to drive any way they feel like instead of lawfully driving right, I feel no pitty for them, they are a pain in my rear, they endanger my life and everyone around me because of 3 f-ing mph.

Guess what, on a 30 minute drive 3 mpg faster means you get there 90 seconds earlier.

Some times I think people need to learn a thing from dogs, they need to learn how to smell the grass, roses and the :poop: left there by the dog in front of them and continue on at their own merry pace.

The above is a perfect example of why I hate driving sometimes, people fail to realize that they are not the only one on the road and it becomes a "me" issue.

When people start to realize that a majority of problems can be simply solved by leaving five minutes earlier or on time, driving the proper speed limit, paying attention to what you are doing while driving that 4,000 to 80,000 pound vehicle and there would be a whole lot less accidents out there happening and people dieing because of it.

:ranton:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I hate when I'm cruising down the highway at 70-75 mph, and I come up to a line of trucks in the right lane doing 60 mph, and the guy in the very last truck waits until I'm right up to them to cut me off by changing lanes in front of me, and then proceeds to pass every other truck in that line at a speed of 60.001 mph.

Really? He couldn't wait 3 more seconds for me to actually PASS him?

And before people chime in and say it's because they can't see me... that's BS. I've actually on the rare occasion heard them laughing about it on the CB.

Although the difference is speed is generally greater, it may not appear to be such, but that is not the point I wish to make. The issue to me, is that I am naturally inclined to give someone moving faster the chance to get by and on down the road, but the problem and reason why I have been disciplining myself not to be so kind is that as I approach slower traffic with someone rapidly approaching from behind, most generally if I choose to be thoughtful, my kindness will be rewarded with the faster vehicle catching up and then slowing down blocking me in against the slower traffic until I have sacrificed speed that with a truck is far more difficult to regain than it is for you in your car. In fact, this is probably my #1 stupid driver pet peeve. I don't doubt that you are a reasonable person who will continue doing what you were doing in the first place, but the other alternative is prevalent enough that I feel that it can be truthfully said that the overtaking vehicle will almost never keep going and be out of the way as anticipated and as it would be if that driver simply proceeds at his original speed.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Different speed limits for cars and trucks is a traffic hazard, IMO. Speed governors too. Especially since most drivers get paid by the mile. Gotta make up lost time somehow.

I agree with both factors being hazardous. Legislatively manufacturing a condition of one group of drivers weaving its way through another is multiplying the likelihood of a collision. It is noteworthy that Kentucky and Tennessee have a 70mph speed limit for everyone and it works much better in spite of the fact that Nashville drivers have to the the worst on the face of the planet. Governors are a micromanager's plaything and a danger on the road. When assigned the truck I now drive, the first thing to change was having the governed speed setting eliminated. Very rarely does this become an issue, but there are times that a dangerous driver will insist on being under my feet whether I continue at approximately the speed limit, drop 10mph and hope they go away, or pass them at a relatively modest speed (after which they speed up, pass, get back on my front bumper, and then slow down again). Under such conditions, it is really nice to have options which will allow you to get away from such imbeciles before the accident happens. Before you say that three events doesn't make it an issue worthy of consideration, most of you carry but have likely never been in an armed self-defense situation or gunfight.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    It is an extremely rare occasion that I'm less than 20 minutes early to work. I'm usually there at least 30 minutes early. I still can't stand those who can't even at least do the speed limit or have to slow down for every curve or hill. I usually run 5 over. If I get behind someone that is doing the speed limit and I can't get around, no big deal. I'll hang back. But when you want to get out on the roadway and do 5-10 mph under the speed limit, don't be surprised when you have people riding your ass.

People drive like they're still in Model T's. It's amazing how much some people will slow down for simple curves and tap their brakes ever 3 seconds going down a hill.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    The autobahn is much worse when it comes to truck vs car traffic. I think the highest speed limit I ever saw for trucks was 120kph. Looking at most of those trucks, they'd never make it that fast. Then add in cars going anywhere from 100 to 200+kph, it can get real interesting.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Although the difference is speed is generally greater, it may not appear to be such, but that is not the point I wish to make. The issue to me, is that I am naturally inclined to give someone moving faster the chance to get by and on down the road, but the problem and reason why I have been disciplining myself not to be so kind is that as I approach slower traffic with someone rapidly approaching from behind, most generally if I choose to be thoughtful, my kindness will be rewarded with the faster vehicle catching up and then slowing down blocking me in against the slower traffic until I have sacrificed speed that with a truck is far more difficult to regain than it is for you in your car. In fact, this is probably my #1 stupid driver pet peeve. I don't doubt that you are a reasonable person who will continue doing what you were doing in the first place, but the other alternative is prevalent enough that I feel that it can be truthfully said that the overtaking vehicle will almost never keep going and be out of the way as anticipated and as it would be if that driver simply proceeds at his original speed.

So you have been disciplining yourself to be a jackwagon and wait until the very last second and then cut other drivers off because they MIGHT slow down a bit as they're passing the line of trucks? Or did I misunderstand? If that's what you're doing, you need your license revoked for being a serious menace to other drivers on the road.

I don't have an issue with truck drivers that pull out to pass someone before I get up to them. That's no big deal. I understand that. It's when they wait until the last ****ing second that ticks me off. And once, I was going faster than the guy thought I was, and if I didn't drive into the center divider of I-70 I'd be dead today.

Last edited:

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    People I hate while driving 2 lane roads.

1. The idiot driving 5-10mph under the speed limit that speeds up when you go to pass.

2. The idiot who passes/or pulls out in front of me then turns off the road in the next 100 feet.

3. While I'm maintaing a constant speed, the idiot who flies up, passes me, then slows down to less than what I am doing.

I had one guy tell me the only reason for stop signs is incase of accident the police will know who to ticket.

I saw a driver put on his turn signal and immediately slam into the car right along side of him.

In bad weather a 4wheel drive does not make you immortal!!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    So you have been disciplining yourself to be a jackwagon and wait until the very last second and then cut other drivers off because they MIGHT slow down a bit as they're passing the line of trucks?

Let me clarify. No, not at the last second, and I am referring to the ones that are approaching 10-15 miles per hour faster that I have time to ponder over realizing that they SHOULD be able to do it but probably won't out of choice--and no, I don't consider approaching so fast as to make me appear stationary and then matching speed with me to be slowing down a little, or anything approaching reasonable. The problem is that this is not even prevalent but almost invariable. My first preference would be to have the pass me and be long gone before I have to deal with the surplus of traffic ahead, but that never happens. I don't understand why people do that but they do. A close cousin to this behavior--the ones I WILL cut off at the last second (still somewhat of an exaggeration as it WILL be a safe maneuver)--are those who spend less time covering the distance from which they are visible as a speck getting to me than they spend with the last hundred feet or so who are clearly setting up early to do as previously described. My advice would be to make up one's mind, and either do it or don't do it. Don't camp the space immediately to the behind and left of me setting me up for an unpleasant experience after demonstrating that you can drive like a bat out of hell getting there in the first place.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Here's a couple more of my all time favorites:

Joggers that jog in the dark, in the street, where there are good sidewalks, wearing dark clothing.

Bicycle riders, riding two or more abreast, riding along busy/main streets and highways. Youll see this a lot around Bloomington and Monroe county.

Motorcyclists riding in large groups, all riding at various speeds (mostly holding up traffic) and dont leave a gap to pass groups of them.

Pedestrians walking in groups, several abreast, that will not move to the side of the road, endangering themselves and the motorists that have to get around them.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    People I hate while driving 2 lane roads.

1. The idiot driving 5-10mph under the speed limit that speeds up when you go to pass.

2. The idiot who passes/or pulls out in front of me then turns off the road in the next 100 feet.

3. While I'm maintaing a constant speed, the idiot who flies up, passes me, then slows down to less than what I am doing.

I had one guy tell me the only reason for stop signs is incase of accident the police will know who to ticket.

I saw a driver put on his turn signal and immediately slam into the car right along side of him.

In bad weather a 4wheel drive does not make you immortal!!

Very well said!

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Let me clarify. No, not at the last second, and I am referring to the ones that are approaching 10-15 miles per hour faster that I have time to ponder over realizing that they SHOULD be able to do it but probably won't out of choice--and no, I don't consider approaching so fast as to make me appear stationary and then matching speed with me to be slowing down a little, or anything approaching reasonable. The problem is that this is not even prevalent but almost invariable. My first preference would be to have the pass me and be long gone before I have to deal with the surplus of traffic ahead, but that never happens. I don't understand why people do that but they do. A close cousin to this behavior--the ones I WILL cut off at the last second (still somewhat of an exaggeration as it WILL be a safe maneuver)--are those who spend less time covering the distance from which they are visible as a speck getting to me than they spend with the last hundred feet or so who are clearly setting up early to do as previously described. My advice would be to make up one's mind, and either do it or don't do it. Don't camp the space immediately to the behind and left of me setting me up for an unpleasant experience after demonstrating that you can drive like a bat out of hell getting there in the first place.

You ever stop to think that maybe people slow down as they get up to you because they're wary of being cut off or run into the median, or even smashed into oblivion, by some jackhole that changes lanes at the last second, and it could be any trucker in that line that does it to them?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    100% agree. But what is even better is when you wave someone on and then they in-turn wave you on! That just pisses-me-off. Now we are in this thing like who is going to go first? Then we both start to go and quickly stop. Then we start to go again. Finally you just have to practically hammer it and get away from from there.

That's why neither of you should be waving. Whoever's got the Right of Way needs to take their turn. Quit trying to be "nice" to each other because everyone else is waiting for you while you guys are sitting there flapping your fins like an epileptic dolphin.

catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    Joggers that jog in the dark, in the street, where there are good sidewalks, wearing dark clothing.

I FORGOT ABOUT THE JOGGERS.... :rolleyes: Sometimes, I want to almost hit them... >.>

That's why neither of you should be waving. Whoever's got the Right of Way needs to take their turn. Quit trying to be "nice" to each other because everyone else is waiting for you while you guys are sitting there flapping your fins like an epileptic dolphin.

Now all I can picture when watching the 4-way stop outside my house is of an epileptic dolphin. Thanks Scutter... :D

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    Anybody who drinks and drives. I'm not against drinking. Just when you do keep your butt from behind the wheel. Have lost family and friends to drunk drivers and don't want to lose any more. Have a good time, enjoy, but don't kill me or mine.

Top Bottom