Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    imagine living in such fear

mbEXahU.png

If you grew up in the inner city aka the ghetto you would understand this fear. In the inner city every black and brown male is guilty of something and the police are not your friends. Neither are the gangs but at least with the gangs if you look away and are not a rat they leave you alone for the most part.

On the other hand you could be walking down the street from school and the police will roll up and begin a fishing exercise just because you are black/brown.

You have to live thru that to understand the level of fear they have. Neither side is your friend and all you want to so is GTFO of there and never look back.

But even if you do manage to escape it those past experience shape you and the distrust of police.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    imagine living in such fear

mbEXahU.png

Other than the insane fear mongering, any attorney worth more than their height in oxygen will basically tell you the same thing that Reddit just did. I think as firearms enthusiasts we all have also been told time and again that your best defense is to keep your mouth shut and have your day in court.

I admit there's a big difference between these idiot and us (and our potential use case for invoking our 5th amendment rights), but the general advice that guy gave is basically sound. :dunno:

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    If you grew up in the inner city aka the ghetto you would understand this fear. In the inner city every black and brown male is guilty of something and the police are not your friends. Neither are the gangs but at least with the gangs if you look away and are not a rat they leave you alone for the most part.

On the other hand you could be walking down the street from school and the police will roll up and begin a fishing exercise just because you are black/brown.

You have to live thru that to understand the level of fear they have. Neither side is your friend and all you want to so is GTFO of there and never look back.

But even if you do manage to escape it those past experience shape you and the distrust of police.

I don't really have a problem with guilty people having a fear of the police, they earned it.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I don't really have a problem with guilty people having a fear of the police, they earned it.

The problem is in the eyes of police that deal with the inner city every black/brown male is guilty of something does not matter if it's true or not.

Yes is a broad brush I just painted on the police.
    It's similar to how most of us, Americans see a chinese/Japanese and think they are good in math.

They may be but we have be brought up to think they are since their countries focus so much on that topic.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    The problem is in the eyes of police that deal with the inner city every black/brown male is guilty of something does not matter if it's true or not.

It's similar to how most of us, Americans see a chinese/Japanese and think they are good in math.

They may be but we have be brought up to think they are since their countries focus so much on that topic.

It seems you are condemning a generalization made about the inner city by making a generalization about the police.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

Painting someone with a broad brush is wrong. But I guess you have no problem with doing it, only when it happens to you.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So what happens if these little “autonomous zones” start popping up in every major city, perhaps in multiple places?
    I think as more people become woke into the religion of social justice this is gonna happen more. I think eventually this iteration will subside, and then another black man will be killed by a white police officer, never mind if it was justified or not, it will spark more protests and I think will be even more intense. Every iteration will outdo the last. That’s what it looks like to me.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

Just browse the FBI crime statistics database if you want to know why that perception exists.
    People really should not berate police for this problem, as it is not a problem with police, but a cultural problem that exists in the inner city.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2013/crime-in-the-u.s.-2013/tables/table-43

I'll omit any conclusions as the raw data alone will seem racist to some.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Just browse the FBI crime statistics database if you want to know why that perception exists.
    People really should not berate police for this problem, as it is not a problem with police, but a cultural problem that exists in the inner city.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2013/crime-in-the-u.s.-2013/tables/table-43

Very well said!

I tried to rep you but the system is too stubborn.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I think as more people become woke into the religion of social justice this is gonna happen more. I think eventually this iteration will subside, and then another black man will be killed by a white police officer, never mind if it was justified or not, it will spark more protests and I think will be even more intense. Every iteration will outdo the last. That’s what it looks like to me.
    Exactly this. The msm and activists will always present the killing of a black individual by a white officer as unjustified no matter what the circumstances are. "Hands up! Don't shoot!"

qwerty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI

https://twnwi.com/CrimeStats/

There is a link to the data explorer where you can do your own search etc.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

That’s reflective of circumstances they by themselves did not create collectively. The crime is a result of a many factors. Poverty in proximity to wealth creates pockets of crime, especially violent crime. The Gini Index, an index that measures income inequality, has been shown to be about the best predictor of violent crime in a given area. Many US cities have Gini indexes similar to the 3rd world countries with some of the highest crime rates. Another factor is the welfare state of dependency. It fosters a sense of entitlement and incentivizes fatherless homes. Democrat programs have largely created some cultural norms that perpetuates those problems.

The fatherless problem creates many of those disadvantages in itself. Many cultures value reputation and that’s usually a good thing. It incentivizes hard work, honesty, and pride in one’s work. But if not tempered by discipline it fosters a dangerous attitude of demanding unearned respect. Most of these inner city shootings aren’t drug deals gone bad or turf wars between rival gangs as much as it is about disputes over respect between individuals.

It isn’t just a “black” thing. You’ll find that the black crime statistics closely correlates with poverty rates among black people. A higher percentage of black people live in poverty compared with white people. Is that due to heritable characteristics in black people? That’s absurd. Look at black people around the world and you’ll find a lot of diversity among them. Most of the problems are environmental.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    No, it isn't a characteristic of black people per se. It is a function of their current culture however and government "help". Unemployment and fatherless homes really weren't much of a problem in the black community until the Great Society program was instituted by Lyndon Johnson in the 1960s. Blacks actually had a lower unemployment rate than whites and didn't have remotely the same issue with single parent households and all of the dysfunction it creates.

Asking for more government programs and controls to fix the problem is failing to learn from the past and trusting those that largely created these problems to fix it.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Two things:
    Perception can sometimes lead to a self-fulfilling result.
    Perception, or what you think generally about group, should not dictate how one responds to the individual.

...oh, and I’m back on the prowl.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Two things:
    Perception can sometimes lead to a self-fulfilling result.
    Perception, or what you think generally about group, should not dictate how one responds to the individual.

...oh, and I’m back on the prowl.
    Welcome back Kut. I'm sure you'll get back in the groove in no time. Hopefully your return means all is well for you and your family. Especially your Mother since your last post before the hiatus had something to do with her having to take a trip to the ER. I hope she's doing ok.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom