• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    OK, I'll be explicit: Do you have to be a Facebook user to watch that video? All I see if "Video Unavailable".

And, to a certain degree, as long as it's not too out there, Zuckerberg's happy to have it there so long as and consumers keep consuming his ads. His primary agenda is still about making $$$$.
    I was under the assumption that you could see it.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    They really haven’t thought this “jury of you peers” thing (at least how they see it through). First time a Muslim guy walks because an all Muslim jury gets them off, they’ll be crying foul. First time an inner city “POC” has their case nullified, by the same “demographic,” they’re gonna talk about how corrupt the system is. They’ve been fine with stuff for decades, but when stuff goes the other way “Yeah, this needs to be changed.”
    I don't believe you need to point that out to a Trump supporter. That constitutes that 'lived history' or 'our truth' that seems so popular lately with respect to the Democrat/woke/MSM machine (see: electoral college, secure voting, adding conservative justices to the courts yada yada)

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Not trying to be confrontational, but the real fascists/racists/etc are happy there are people who think like you do. They do not want to get along, they want to destroy your way of life. Better that you recognize the threat than insist on singing kum by yah.
    You know, just changing one word I could see some on the left saying the exact same thing.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    In a sane world "decenter" wouldn't be a thing. Centering oneself is a goal to be sought by sane people. But this thing which is essentially sacralizing a person who was obviously no saint belongs in the insane social justice thread too.
    Pretty big deal in martial arts and a number of philosophies, too

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    I hate to see you when you are trying to be confrontational...

"The real communist" are few and far between, so labeling every liberal a communist just shows off one's penchant for hyperbole and own extreme partisanship.
    Written words might come across more harshly than intended because body language and mannerisms are not present to moderate the tone.

The real communists are significantly more prevalent in this country than they were just a few years ago. That's not happenstance. A true risk assessment requires you to look at trajectories, not singular points in time.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Well if 13% of the population is able to wipe out the majority population, while at the same time killing themselves in appalling numbers, then I can only suspect that Darwinism is at play.
    Rwanda in 1994 was 1% Twa 14% Tutsi and 85% Hutu, but the Tutsi managed to come out on top (with the aid of outside actors)

Not that dissimilar from our own demographics. A purely relative numbers based argument is not that compelling

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Written words might come across more harshly than intended because body language and mannerisms are not present to moderate the tone.

The real communists are significantly more prevalent in this country than they were just a few years ago. That's not happenstance. A true risk assessment requires you to look at trajectories, not singular points in time.
    Yeah, there's an increase, but as I see it, it's from "minuscule" to "small".

INGO seems to find the communist like a K9 smells weed at a traffic stop.

The media we consume acts like a great big magnifying glass, because that's what keeps our eyes glued to it. Facebook et al have extremely powerful computers that know what to show you to keep your eyes glued to it. Writers at new aggregation and opinion sites (what now passes at "news") know exactly how to exaggerate things to get clicks. Meme creators don't get dopamine hit from producing nuanced, thoughtful images, but from portraying things as black and white in a very visceral way. Politicians don't score points by telling constituents that issues are complicated and require a great deal of study and thought.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yeah, there's an increase, but as I see it, it's from "minuscule" to "small".

INGO seems to find the communist like a K9 smells weed at a traffic stop.

The media we consume acts like a great big magnifying glass, because that's what keeps our eyes glued to it. Facebook et al have extremely powerful computers that know what to show you to keep your eyes glued to it. Writers at new aggregation and opinion sites (what now passes at "news") know exactly how to exaggerate things to get clicks. Meme creators don't get dopamine hit from producing nuanced, thoughtful images, but from portraying things as black and white in a very visceral way. Politicians don't score points by telling constituents that issues are complicated and require a great deal of study and thought.
    I think the number is very small compared to the general population of the US. Compared with influencers, it's nearly alarming. I suspect that many of the woke influencers (media,politicians,business leaders especially tech,pastors,even sports figures) are doing it for views and clicks or generally for attention. But progressives are very organized and have a lot of money behind them. It's foolish to pass it off as nothing. Well. Unless you kinda agree with what they're saying.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Moral relativism isn't helpful, there is objective truth. For one side, those statement are founded on lies, for the other they aren't.
    I'd say those statements would be true on both side. I'd say that racists and communists are both very small groups who try to inflame emotions to gather support for their side.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well, a good start would be stop calling everyone you disagree with a communist.
    Not everyone who disagrees with me is a communist. I'm fine if we're at a state where there is no common ground and we just have to agree to disagree. But there IS a group of people that I do care about, because that group proposes a world where liberty no longer exists and has an organized approach to bringing that about. And yeah, those people are generally communists.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Stupid people have always said stupid things and in a properly functioning society they get rebuffed for it. When people say bat **** crazy things and they're cheered on by segments of society, that leads to escalating acceptance. [the French Revolution and The Reign of Terror]
    There has never been any shortage throughout history of people willing to do terrible things to other people. A sane society would act early and strongly to damp any such impulses

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Theres quite a bit of debate between wanting a justice system thats from the 13th century all the way to wanting a justice system that plays to the hand of the accused. They are wildly different but i think it ultimately comes down to wanting whichever will give ingo the result they believe to be correct.
    And that differs from literally everybody else in what fundamental way? We have an inner concept of what constitutes justice in the world, and right or wrong that informs our beliefs and desires

You seem to be arguing that
    principles developed out of historical conflict and experience are too old and busted to hold sway. Is not there also some truth also in ""Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Moral relativism isn't helpful, there is objective truth. For one side, those statement are founded on lies, for the other they aren't.
    There is objective truth, but morality is very subjective. There is objective morality, but we might not define that the same way. To me objective morality is the set of moral principles or foundations that are generally true for across cultures and across time.

So then what is objectively moral is a layer of abstraction up from what is subjectively moral. For example, many American conservatives would think that failing to take proper care of the US flag is morally wrong. They sacralize the flag. Many progressives see George Floyd's place of death as sacred now. Not everyone sacralizes the same things. But humans have the moral capacity to sacralize things. That moral capacity is an objective moral. But the specific things they sacralize are subjectively moral.

Another example is moral harm. People objectively have morals around not harming people in specific ways. But people have different ideas about what is harm. And those specific things are subjective morality. To some people Abortion is not harm. To some people it is. People feel so strongly about morals, especially when they feel they're absolute, that they get quite upset when someone who doesn't share the same morals violates them.

For example, make a video of you pissing on a Glock and then shooting it with a 1911 45ACP, basically God's choice in personal sidearms. OMG. Look out. The Glock fanbois will be hopping mad. They are certain that is the unpardonable sin and you will go to hell for it.

Top Bottom