• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    You wouldn't think its been threre that long cause as the ground would freeze and thaw and rain it wound of sunk into the ground, unless its not that heavy... Isn't limestone soft ? It don't even look that dirty or even have mold growing on it... Looks to clean to me... The teeth or whatever they are are not even worn, you would also think that the weather would wear on it and eroad the stone asto round the edges... Just my two cents... ?

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    alright, final update. I have shown this to a few mills and whatnot and most didn't have a clue. The ideas that a few came up with were the same as INGO.
    A few people (as well as on INGO) have seen it and seem to have figured it out.

The 26 flutes (or scallops) are consistant with common Ionic columns. The holes drilled in the side every 4th tooth and the square hole in the center are consistant with placement in a limestone lathe. This was found very close to the corner of the property (that has been a property line for a long time) most likely was a property marker or something like that.

Soooooo ......

The conclusion is that it was an end piece of a limestone column, cut off the column after it was made, discarded and ended up as a property marker.

Pretty Freakin cool if you ask me

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have the property line intersection resurveyed, sink an 18" - 24" concrete column right there, well plumbed, cut a square post in the remaining column to fit the central square hole, terminating at about 30" above the ground, and then have the thing lifted and set down on that post, smooth side up. Viola, a property marker that is also a picnic table.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    Have the property line intersection resurveyed, sink an 18" - 24" concrete column right there, well plumbed, cut a square post in the remaining column to fit the central square hole, terminating at about 30" above the ground, and then have the thing lifted and set down on that post, smooth side up. Viola, a property marker that is also a picnic table.

its funny you say that, I think we are going to make a little porch table out of it .

Will get a picture after its mounted

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Possibly a cross-section of a limestone column?

3033510-124397-rough-and-simple-carved-limestone-column-fragment.jpg

Ooh...oooh!!! What do I win?!?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    You wouldn't think its been threre that long cause as the ground would freeze and thaw and rain it wound of sunk into the ground, unless its not that heavy... Isn't limestone soft ? It don't even look that dirty or even have mold growing on it... Looks to clean to me... The teeth or whatever they are are not even worn, you would also think that the weather would wear on it and eroad the stone asto round the edges... Just my two cents... ?

IT may have been there for many years, & this year it was cold enough to frost heave it up out of the ground..

Top Bottom