• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I'm voting not a mill stone, gear or even part of a column... but rather something used to make parts of a column... as to why does it have the radial holes and why is half of it worn?

I guessing, due to the close location of the quarry, this may have been some sort of "guide" or "pattern". They may have had some sort of stone grinding machine that worked similar to pantograph in which it had a "follower" that followed the shape of a "master pattern" to cut the new stones. The radial holes were for some sort of dowels or pegs that held the "master pattern" in place during grinding and the wear was from the repeated use it had over many years of cutting columns...

That's just a guess though... I don't know much at all about stone cutting...

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    well thats 2 votes for aliens so far .......

Make it 4. I just watched an X files episode where this same situation happened Scully almost died and someone was trying to get all firearms banned. Spoiler Alert:....... it was aliens who made this object which crushed all those who opposed firearms.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Sure seems like some sort of mill, but possibly not simple corn or wheat. What other crops did we mash around here? Any sugar cane ever grow around here?

edit: ooohh... can you picture this being the negative of that? Though I suspect this was a vessel and the stone rotated around the top, not the edges

Fire At Will: Nikon D800 & 85mm F1.8G lens

DSC_0334.jpg

Last edited:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I can't believe all those people voting for aliens. It is obviously part of the lost island of Atlantis.

For what it's worth, I'm going with part of a stone column.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    hoosierdoc, i can't find any records really of other crops in the area but that doesn't of course rule it out. And that last pic you posted of the suger cane extracter looks like it really could be the mate to mine. other than it being granite and mine of limestone of course

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    awesome hoosierdoc, I have sent pics to a few different places now : Spring Mill, Reed Quarry and the PN Research place . I hope someone responds before I have an anxiety attack ... as soon as I get some free time Im going to try to see what other artifacts I find.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    the holes may have been put in to hold the pattern, or for lifting.. of made after the fact... or from prior drill holes in the stone before that item was made.. many possible things...
    Since it was found in a field it probably was a reject part.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    the holes may have been put in to hold the pattern, or for lifting.. of made after the fact... or from prior drill holes in the stone before that item was made.. many possible things...
    Since it was found in a field it probably was a reject part.

that's a decent thought for lifting it up.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    I only disagree with the holes meant for lifting because they aren't placed well for that , they are much closer to one edge making a weak point, at least I would think so. However it does have the same amount of "scallops" or points as the diagrahm of the Ionic Column.

Of course if mine is a pattern or an end piece that was meant to be tossed after the column was made then perhaps the holes make sense ?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I only disagree with the holes meant for lifting because they aren't placed well for that , they are much closer to one edge making a weak point, at least I would think so. However it does have the same amount of "scallops" or points as the diagrahm of the Ionic Column.

Of course if mine is a pattern or an end piece that was meant to be tossed after the column was made then perhaps the holes make sense ?

It probably had a life as something else after being rejected as a column section, like grave marker or road sign.. the holes may have held wood rods to hold it up..
    Check with the state to see if there has been an archaeological dig in that area..

Top Bottom