• ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    It doesn't look like a mill stone. Looks very similar to a stone column with a square hole to connect to the next stone using a joining stone. The other side looks like the base or top. I would definitely do more probing where you found that.

This is a picture of an old stone column from Italy.

valley-of-the-temples.jpg

A column stone showing the square hole where a joining stone fixed this one to the next stone. - Picture of Valley of the Temples (Valle dei Templi), Agrigento - TripAdvisor

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    Send pics to the office at Spring Mill park. SOMEBODY there will know the expert to show them to. By all means save it, It is probably of historical significance. It sure as heck is SOMETHING that a lot of labor was put into long enough ago that stone was a viable option. Is there a stream or waterway nearby that could have powered something like that? or perhaps a quarry where it was cut?

the quarry is due south of the stone about 1/4 mile , and the maps of the area pretty much mark small quarries overlapping eachother at the beginning of the settlement of the area.

I am going to look around for more, but this one was just starting to be covered in topsoil. So you can imagine it has been there for a very long time to get 8 or so inches of soil to buildup

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    It looks like a millstone, but I've never seen one with scalloped edges. That's a kicker. I don't think it's part of a column, but it could be. The scallops are too extreme for a column.

I agree that I think the scallops are too deep and maybe too numerous. I tried counting on a few different pictures of columns and all have ~20. This one has 26 scallops (I think).

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Possibly a cross-section of a limestone column?

3033510-124397-rough-and-simple-carved-limestone-column-fragment.jpg

It doesn't look like a mill stone. Looks very similar to a stone column with a square hole to connect to the next stone using a joining stone. The other side looks like the base or top. I would definitely do more probing where you found that.

This is a picture of an old stone column from Italy.

valley-of-the-temples.jpg

A column stone showing the square hole where a joining stone fixed this one to the next stone. - Picture of Valley of the Temples (Valle dei Templi), Agrigento - TripAdvisor

Yeah, the only thing that remotely says mill stone about this is that the one side does not appear to be smooth and appears to have grooves in it. I've never even heard of a mill stone with gear teeth around its circumference.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've never seen a stone gear in old mills, but that sure looks like what it is. I wouldn't think a stone to stone set of gears would last long. Perhaps the gear this one meshed with was made of wood?

The square hole in the center not going all the way through makes me think it is a mill stone (the stone that grinds the grain), but what would be the purpose of the teeth?

That is not a gear.....Really.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think it's part of a column. I really don't see the scallops as being all that functional. It's certainly not a gear.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    well we have concluded not a gear (possibly a sprocket) thanks churchmouse. I am inclined to think column piece, the holes possibly for transport and positioning ?
    Im going to thoroughly explore the area though looking for other artifacts ....... Its became my own little treasure hunt.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    well we have concluded not a gear (possibly a sprocket) thanks churchmouse. I am inclined to think column piece, the holes possibly for transport and positioning ?
    Im going to thoroughly explore the area though looking for other artifacts ....... Its became my own little treasure hunt.

What about the wear pattern on the "teeth"? Looks like the bottom half is wore from some kind of use.

Top Bottom