• ...and so much more!
  • ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...are you recalling for me what my own memory was of 6 years ago? ...

The last time I saw Caleb, I seem to recall ending up in a mining village on Mars. :dunno:

total_recall_500.jpg

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Umm, why? Can someone explain this to me?

I would agree with that statement. All of those rounds are.....well small. Generally speaking the centerfire cartridges are more reliable as far as ignition. Some might argue they also feed more reliably, but I am sure that is gun specific. But .22 is much more affordable and there is greater selection of guns and ammunition. If I had to choose from these three cartridges it would be a quality .22 revolver.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I would agree with that statement. All of those rounds are.....well small. Generally speaking the centerfire cartridges are more reliable as far as ignition. Some might argue they also feed more reliably, but I am sure that is gun specific. But .22 is much more affordable and there is greater selection of guns and ammunition. If I had to choose from these three cartridges it would be a quality .22 revolver.

I concur

Endofdays

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    OG post was ambiguous in nature. IMO, if you read the article, it says nothing about the distance between shooter and victim, the weapon used or variance of the round so much as to draw a conclusion. The victim of the shooting is extremely lucky not to be paralyzed or even dead. I would have to lean toward the 3rd poster on the other board "Beeenbag" who stated,"I have to disagree... Just think what would have happened if this bullet would have hit his carotid artery. Then we would be having a discussion of how a .22 is still very lethal. This thread is going to lead back to one point... shot placement before caliber."

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Umm, why? Can someone explain this to me?

It is because of penetration.

I think the center of the argument should be time to incapacitation, not whether or not .22 can or cannot kill. Sure it can kill, but is it going to kill as quickly and as effectively as 9mm, .40, or 45? Not even close...and we all know hand gun calibers really aren't all that effective in general anyways.

The idea is to get the bad guy to stop doing what he is doing as quickly as possible. This happens in one of 3 ways: psychologically he quits, destroying the central nervous system, or penetrating enough vital organs that blood loss causes the body to shut down. 9mm, 10mm, .40, 45, etc are all going to do this MUCH better than .22.

Modern defensive ammo can both penetrate and expand. Take your pick with .22.

9mm, .40, 45 can all penetrate and still perform reliably through barriers, .22 can't.

There's really NO reason anyone should be carrying .22 for self defense. I've never met a single person that can't learn to shoot 9mm effectively...my 100lb gf can shoot 4" groups at 5 yards with no problem.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I have killed more things that were once living with a 22 than any other round. Big things too with craniums at least the size of a human's. I've seen dogs of all sizes drop like they were hit with a sledge hammer, cats go down like a light was going out. In the hands of a capable shooter, a 22 rifle has taken down small game size animals ... on the run. Worked with a young man who killed himself with a 22 to the temple (lived for 5 days).

It's not the round of choice for a gun fight, but it will kill just fine, thank you very much. Also there are many stories of people with multiple hits from a 9mm and above who lived.

Still, interesting story.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    nope..not so much

Read the story...just a fact....mmmm....you are drawing the wrong conclusion

The kid was shot in the throat by a .22. The only damage was the entrance hole. The kid actually swallowed the bullet and doctors retrieved it from his stomach. Minor surgery and he was on the road to recovery, thank God
    do i see a threat? mmm... bannable offense right there sir.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    Read the story...just a fact....mmmm....you are drawing the wrong conclusion

The kid was shot in the throat by a .22. The only damage was the entrance hole. The kid actually swallowed the bullet and doctors retrieved it from his stomach. Minor surgery and he was on the road to recovery, thank God

more humor please.. im here to be a happy person

Top Bottom