• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    He was old, smoked his whole life, was on an oxygen tank. he used to smoke while he had the little nose thingys in so he could breath.

He filed a police report saying a bunch of tools were stolen from his machine shop in his barn so he could get money to pay his medical bills. When that didnt work. He decided to take out is .22 hand gun and shoot himself in the temple. That way his life insurance would pay up and handle the bills. The bullet went into his head and never came out.

Little did he know, that life insurance is void when the person kills themselves.

Actually, not all life insurance is void if you commit suicide. Depends on the insurance. My life insurance, would have been void if I decided to venture to the other side on my call less than one year and one day from the date of purchase.(making payments)
    Some company insurance such as target warehouse employees their family gets insurance money if the worker decides to kill themselves. Not saying this is a good answer to life's problems, Always remember Suicide is a perminate solution to a short term problem.

But back on the right note. didn't the ohio school shooting involve a .22 revolver and 3 or so students died?

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    But back on the right note. didn't the ohio school shooting involve a .22 revolver and 3 or so students died?
    ding ding ding.. we have a winner. sure. 2 of them died days later, but hypothetically speaking, if they were a threat, they were stopped huh?

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    ding ding ding.. we have a winner. sure. 2 of them died days later, but hypothetically speaking, if they were a threat, they were stopped huh?

I just googled it. Three died, for some reason I thought it was 4 or more. But yes, i am sure no one shot got up and chased him out of the building.
    Sadly I don't own a .22. Some of my friends give me alot of crap for my love of 9mm's hand guns. saying a real man would have a .45. I usually smile and say well you might be right, but I like my 9mm guns, and LOVE my Kahr K9. Don't get me wrong I do like the 1911 and will be getting one someday. But, I will be most likely to carry a 9mm.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    the concealability of a .22 far surpasses 98% of all other firearms. thats all there is to it. whatever you are shooting doesnt really matter when you are a foot away from the target.

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    the concealability of a .22 far surpasses 98% of all other firearms. thats all there is to it. whatever you are shooting doesnt really matter when you are a foot away from the target.

Actually, that is when it could matter most.

PPS/LC9 both as concealable as a 22 pistol.

There is NO reason to carry .22 for SD, period.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    Actually, that is when it could matter most.

PPS/LC9 both as concealable as a 22 pistol.

There is NO reason to carry .22 for SD, period.

you go shooting with your friends, you get bit by the bug so you go out and buy a nice walther p22 or sig mosquito because its inexpensive and ammo is super cheap, all you are planning on doing is target shooting and you are pretty much broke going through school or what have you. well, one day, you decide that carrying might not be a bad idea so you get your ltch with the intention of picking up a better gun for carry. well, the day you are going to have that extra bit of cash is a ways away as you are still trying to pay off credit card debt from a few years ago when you screwed up pretty good. looks like the .22 is getting carried until then. better than nothing. i see this as a perfectly good reason to carry a .22lr.

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I'm not sure how to respond to that lol. I guess I should clarify my statement...there is no good reason to carry .22 deliberately, when you have other options. If you have no other option, then I will stand corrected and say that is the one reason to carry it if things so happen to fall into place that way.

But...even then, I would sell it, skip lunch/sell extra stuff/put in some OT, or whatever else til I can save an extra $100 and buy a used glock. Imo, my life and my family's lives are too important to me to RELY on .22lr, and I would make adjustments accordingly to try and remedy my situation. I guess it depends on where your priorities lie.
    If you shop around hard enough and put the time in, you can always find one in the $350 range.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

What if my only .22 is full size and has a suppressor on it?

Granted, if I managed to deploy it at one foot away, it would be touching the target so aiming would be greatly simplified. ;)

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    This thread has very good shot placement, though I still believe there are much more effective threads. Still, ya gotta go with what you've got. Besides, how many threads have you seen that were riddled with replies, yet they survived for days ...then there are threads that die instantly with one well placed reply. What's more, a post in a discussion on a 22 is much better than no one posting in a larger caliber discussion ...left at home ...in your sock drawer ...alone ...in the rain. Okay, so maybe the rain has little to do with it, I'm just feeling slightly obtuse. :D

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    ok

sounds like a good reason to carry a 22 though you could easily trade your 22 for a 380 or 9mm in my opinion but you may not be able to afford to shoot it a lot though...
    you go shooting with your friends, you get bit by the bug so you go out and buy a nice walther p22 or sig mosquito because its inexpensive and ammo is super cheap, all you are planning on doing is target shooting and you are pretty much broke going through school or what have you. well, one day, you decide that carrying might not be a bad idea so you get your ltch with the intention of picking up a better gun for carry. well, the day you are going to have that extra bit of cash is a ways away as you are still trying to pay off credit card debt from a few years ago when you screwed up pretty good. looks like the .22 is getting carried until then. better than nothing. i see this as a perfectly good reason to carry a .22lr.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    this thread

this thread is not about logical scenarios but shot placement inside the matrix
    the-matrix_bullet_time.jpg

Granted, if I managed to deploy it at one foot away, it would be touching the target so aiming would be greatly simplified. ;)

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    the first rule in a thread jack (:hijack:) is to have a computer, or a phone, or a kindle with internet access...remember to practice practice practice...i am subscribed to this thread because it is so entertaining...besides you can say anything u want on this thread and it sounds good ...only one person has told me to stop ...:postwhore:
    This thread has very good shot placement, though I still believe there are much more effective threads. Still, ya gotta go with what you've got. Besides, how many threads have you seen that were riddled with replies, yet they survived for days ...then there are threads that die instantly with one well placed reply. What's more, a post in a discussion on a 22 is much better than no one posting in a larger caliber discussion ...left at home ...in your sock drawer ...alone ...in the rain. Okay, so maybe the rain has little to do with it, I'm just feeling slightly obtuse. :D

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    however

if this full size persist for more than 4 hours then you should seek professional help...but if you can deploy it more than a foot away then it must be working

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    This reminds me of another thread about exactly the same subject. ;)

Just for consistency I'll post the same thing here that I posted there:

Everything else being exactly equal (shot placement, rounds on target, etc) the larger the caliber the better. (I will concede there is a valid debate about small/fast vs. big/slow - so, ignore that aspect for now.)

A howitzer is better than a BB gun as long as you can handle the howitzer the same as the BB gun. Most people can't. That's why we (most of us) default to somewhere in the smaller caliber ranges. It's a compromise.

No one who is reputable & knows ANYTHING about ballistics & wound dynamics would recommend a .22LR over one of the larger handgun calibers ALL ELSE BEING EQUAL.

If you just simply CAN'T handle anything more powerful than a .22LR, no matter how hard you try, then that is the best you can do & that is OK...for you. But don't try to convince yourself, or anyone else, that "the .22LR is just as good as" any of the standard commonly accepted self-defense calibers (9mm or above) because YOU can't handle anything bigger. It's simply OK for YOU and YOUR situation.

To suggest otherwise is verging on being irresponsible. I know if my wife or kids could shoot a 9mm/.40/.45 as well as a .22LR then there is NO WAY I'd tell them to just go ahead & carry the .22LR since it's "just as good" because I would want them to have the best chance that they could have in any SD situation. If I wouldn't want my loved ones carrying a sub-par round then why would I suggest others do it?

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I think that if 99% of people were being shot at with a starter pistol that was firing blanks, they'd run for cover if not just run away. If the threat runs away then the threat is no longer a threat and you don't have to deal with the fact that you killed someone. Just a thought.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    You can kill someone with a magic marker too, but it still makes it a poor choice for self defense.

Are you really going to take this side of the argument?

Correction: It makes it a poor choice for you. Others may have completely different considerations and reasons which makes it the world's best possible choice for them.

Life doesn't come in a box, with holes that say Insert "A" To Get Result "B".

Give all the info you want about knock down power, stopping power, size of the bullet, wound depth, and make any arguments you feel are necessary for what ever gun you feel is the best... but realize the goodness or badness of the "choice" is only up to you -- for you.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Ok you guys are gonna think I am a wussy and go ahead cause I guess I am. I feel more comfortable shooting my WaltherP22. I love it. I love everything about it. I do carry a lightweight 38 sp revolver.. I shot it last week and I was surprised at the recoil. It was a little more than what I like or what I am comfortable with. I am finding out as I get older I do not have the arm muscle I used to have. I still carry my 38 but I really would prefer my p22 or even my S&W 22 revolver. I am told the 22's are not muscle enough to save my life. I look at this way I would not stop with just one bullet so if I unload the whole clip or put all 8 into him he will be stopped or dead one. It sucks getting older.:(

I feel for you, Knife Lady. My hands hurt so bad sometimes that it is difficult to even put the dishes up from the dishwasher. It's too the point where my wife won't even fuss anymore when I drop and break a dish.

These young bucks and those who are good health just don't (and some refuse to) understand that not everyone is on the same physical level.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom