• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Well, we've all seen or heard the statistic that the meager .22 kills more people than any other caliber - I personally feel a little more comfortable carrying something with a little more "umph" behind it, but I wouldn't take that young man's place and stand in front of the barrel..

Guess it wasn't his time to go yet!

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    What's your point? You can kill someone or stop them with a 22. This kid was lucky as it gets.

You can kill someone with a magic marker too, but it still makes it a poor choice for self defense.

Are you really going to take this side of the argument?

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    .22 kills just as easily as anything else. I knew a guy who off'd himself with a .22. Bullet went in, and never came out. (he didnt want to leave a mess for his wife to have to clean up)

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    it's a capable round...just not something I'm willing to put my life on really.....I've read several similar instances of this over the years......it's more about where the round impacts and what it does than anything...neither of which we can control......we attempt to with shot placement, but you're still at the mercy of chance............a Marine I served with was shot in the neck by a 7.62 sniper last year in Afghanistan...he lived, has a wicked looking scar and received the Silver Star in December for his actions that day AFTER getting shot............point is, we do what we can to maximize a weapon's effectiveness, but it's never going to be predictable

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Not an optimal self defense round but I'd rather carry a .22 than a .25 ACP or .32 ACP
    That I can agree with.

However, I wouldn't go below .380 and honestly, I prefer not to go below 9mm. On a rare occasion I'll have a .380 as a BUG complementing a 9mm or .45 ACP.

I would take a .22 over a pointed stick, but I would never personally carry a .22 willingly when I had access to something more potent.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    How considerate, if misguided....

He was old, smoked his whole life, was on an oxygen tank. he used to smoke while he had the little nose thingys in so he could breath.

He filed a police report saying a bunch of tools were stolen from his machine shop in his barn so he could get money to pay his medical bills. When that didnt work. He decided to take out is .22 hand gun and shoot himself in the temple. That way his life insurance would pay up and handle the bills. The bullet went into his head and never came out.

Little did he know, that life insurance is void when the person kills themselves.

TylerAdels

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    Fort Wayne & Bloomington, IN

shortyforty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    middlebury
    Trooper Mark Coates from south Carolina was shot twice once in the vest and once between the vest plates with a .22 derringer he is dead , before dieing he returned fire and struck his murderer with five out of six .357 magnum rounds he fired and he is still alive . Yes the .22 is under powered but there is no magic bullet that knocks everyone down every time ,so carry what you are comfortable with if a .22 is all you can handle for recoil then by all means carry it and practice often with it because it beats throwing rocks

Glock

Marksman
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Are there a good number of people who carry a .22 for personal protection? I could understand if being concealed was very important but then again you can get an lcp for fairly cheap that's pretty small.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    The Armed Citizen section of the April American Rifleman had a note about a two home intruders being met by the homeowner with a .22...one of them died from a shot to the chest.

It ain't no peashooter! If that is all you have then by all means use it.

Top Bottom