For LEO'S in home defence shooting, do they take the gun or all your guns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    A question for Law Enforcement Officers:

If you have a self defense shooting inside your home
    are all guns removed or just the one used.

Also in what circumstances would either choice be made??

Thank Jimmy

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    I should think that the weapon used in the incident would be taken initially for ballistic examination, however, it should be returned to you at some point afterward if determined that the incident was justified.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    A question for Law Enforcement Officers:

If you have a self defense shooting inside your home
    are all guns removed or just the one used.

Also in what circumstances would either choice be made??

Thank Jimmy

I asked an IMPD detective sergeant and he said only the gun used would be taken but would be returned as soon as possible.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    so what if the gun that was used isn't crystal clear when they are conducting the investigation?....

Let's say there were multiple bad guys and one or two were armed with different weapons. They fire, you fire, you win and the guys with guns run off and leave their ventilated buddy behind...Now there are casings from multiple calibers lying around...You give the LEOs the 9mm you shot with but they don't know for sure where the other casings came from and obviously wouldn't be able to tell what the dead guy was shot with until an autopsy.

Would they then look for and take any firearms you have in those calibers in your home?

HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    so what if the gun that was used isn't crystal clear when they are conducting the investigation?....

Let's say there were multiple bad guys and one or two were armed with different weapons. They fire, you fire, you win and the guys with guns run off and leave their ventilated buddy behind...Now there are casings from multiple calibers lying around...You give the LEOs the 9mm you shot with but they don't know for sure where the other casings came from and obviously wouldn't be able to tell what the dead guy was shot with until an autopsy.

Would they then look for and take any firearms you have in those calibers in your home?

Man, thats a lot of ifs. I would think still only the firearm you say you used.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Have had it both ways.

The police have always had a warrant to take everything else.

That disgusts me. In what world are they justified in taking the guns that were in your locked safe during the fight? What happens when the criminal's gang banger buddies decide they want revenge for popping Chino's little brother? Are you to be left defenseless?

Even taking the gun you used from you seems like an uneccessary punishment. (yes I know it's for "verification".....but seriously what verification is needed when it's an obvious home invasion or self defense shooting? Who honestly cares what gun you shot him with?)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    That disgusts me. In what world are they justified in taking the guns that were in your locked safe during the fight? What happens when the criminal's gang banger buddies decide they want revenge for popping Chino's little brother? Are you to be left defenseless?

Even taking the gun you used from you seems like an uneccessary punishment. (yes I know it's for "verification".....but seriously what verification is needed when it's an obvious home invasion or self defense shooting? Who honestly cares what gun you shot him with?)

You're making a lot of assumptions. Not every "self defense" shooting is obvious or turns out to be self defense. You may or may not be surprised to learn that quite a few of them, at least in Indy, are over dope or turf wars. In fact, its quite amazing how many home invasions are reported an hour or so after the fact and the place smells of weed, and while there's no bread in the house there's hundreds of plastic baggies...

Like Kirk said, if we're taking more guns we're getting a warrant, and warrants have to have a basis to be issued.

Now, as a rule, we take only the gun that was used in the crime. (note to the folks that tell people to provide no statement, if you don't, how do we know which gun was used?) People lie. They lie about who shot them. They lie about where they were when they were shot. Its a lousy investigator who just takes your word for it and ignores a key piece of physical evidence.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Remember this. Any weapon used in a crime, most likely, will be held in evidence till the outcome of a trial, or hearing, or ? The "will be returned" statement doesn't mention a court order for the same, or an attorneys legal return pending outcome.
    Have heard of a couple of returns with a minimum of 2-3 yrs, also heard of some never returned. Better off to buy a shotgun from WalMart, than wait for your impounded firearm to come home. (or have one cached someplace out of sight)
    Get a barking dog, to advise you that the "homeys" are walking around your property.
    Good luck.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Better off to buy a shotgun from WalMart, than wait for your impounded firearm to come home

Weellllll, unless charges are filed.

In what world are they justified in taking the guns that were in your locked safe during the fight?

Just because you claim self-defense and it happened on MEYE property, does not mean that the po-po will believe you. The jury might but just because you say it does not mean others will go along.

http://www.jconline.com/article/201...r-shooting-stand-your-ground-law-self-defense

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas

So let's take that a bit farther, I fire approximately a full magazine because of multiple bad guys and they fire a lot of shots too, all in the same caliber, 9mm. Do you think they should take all my firearms chambered in 9mm?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So let's take that a bit farther, I fire approximately a full magazine because of multiple bad guys and they fire a lot of shots too, all in the same caliber, 9mm. Do you think they should take all my firearms chambered in 9mm?

If everything seems on the up and up and there are no other circumstances, I'll just take the one that's been used in the shooting. Multiple shots, absent other circumstances, doesn't matter that much.

A simple answer to a simple question, but real investigations are often much more complex and there is no blanket answer.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Like MOST answers concerning legality, laws, law enforcement, and investigations, as aptly noted, "it depends".

I think the LEO's here have duly noted that, in general, the only gun potentially being held for the investigation, absent other circumstances, is / are the one(s) used.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Well... Normally I would agree.. Unless a resident INGO member.... (See below)

If its frank, I would just hand them all over and see if he wants to go shooting later :laugh:

Use purple if you want to.

I'm always up for shooting. I get bored with my run-of-the-mill guns so it is interesting to see what other people have.*

*Not that I would raid someone's safe after a self-defense shooting to do it.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    And what if the home owner/self-defense shooter was a bully in high school and one of his victims was the cop who responded to his 911 call? If the cop just didn't like the home owner or wanted to be a prick about it, what, if anything, would stop the cop from backing a tow truck up to his victim's gun safe and carting the innocent home owner's entire gun collection off to the evidence locker?

Top Bottom