Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    Because my eyes are old (must've been assembled with used parts, because I'm not old!), I wear "progressive lenses" in my glasses. Focusing on the front sight has always been an exercise in frustration because there is only one tiny band where that distance is truly in focus. In order for the front sight to be in focus, I have to tilt my head back to an unnatural angle, which is nearly impossible during defensive shooting exercises.

So, I made a trip to my friendly neighborhood optometrist and requested a pair of shooting glasses that had a standard progressive lens in my left (non-dominant) eye and a single-vision lens in my right, focusing squarely at 25" -- the distance from my right eye to my front sight with a full-sized pistol.

I have to say, it's weird to don those glasses at the range -- suddenly, I can only focus on most stuff with my left eye and my vision is blurry in my right. However, within a couple of minutes, my brain adjusts and I forget that I have them on. Taking them off after shooting is the same experience in reverse -- it takes a few minutes for my brain to adjust focus again. Like I said, weird.

The $64,000 question is: DID THE GLASSES HELP?

Well, the jury is still out on that one. Yes, I can clearly see the front sight now, whereas before I could only focus on the target clearly without tilting my head back. Much to my dismay and chagrin, I don't seem to be shooting any better with my new glasses. I have the front sight in focus, the target is blurry, and yet my groups are no better. Go figure.

I have more experimentation to try. I just bought a new G21 that has me using range time getting to know it and fall in love for my EDC. It's strictly a love/hate relationship at this point. However, once I am more comfortable with it, I intend to spend some quality time comparing the two shooting techniques. If I truly can't score any better using my fancy-schmancy new glasses that allow me to focus on the front sight, then I will happily chalk it up to a learning experience and go back to focusing on the target, especially considering that having the opportunity during a defensive situation to don my special specs might be inconvenient, to say the least. "Excuse me, Mr. Bad Guy, while I whip these out ..." :):

Good discussion!

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've read many times about focusing on the front sight when firing a handgun.

But I'm starting now to question if this really is the right approach.

Yesterday I did some experimentation with my stock Glock front sight and a 8" shoot-n-c target about 10 yards away. If I focused on the front sight, the target got so blurry I had a REALLY hard time even picking a point of aim.

But if I focused on the target, the front sight was only slightly blurry, and I could much more easily and precisely pick a point of aim.

I noticed the same thing on my most recent trip to the range, which only offers 25 yards distances for pistols. At that distance, focusing on the front sight meant the target was almost impossible to discern. My groups, needless to say, were bad-- only 4/10 even on the 8" target.

But switching to focusing on the target let me get 8/10 on target, as again the front sight was still easily discernible when I focused on the actual target.

What am I missing? The conventional wisdom can be wrong, sure-- but this is more than just conventional wisdom. This is taught at every major shooting school.

For what it's worth, I have 20/20 in that eye (I wear only one contact lens in my non-dominant eye).

Can someone help me understand what I'm not getting about the wisdom of focusing on the front sight? Thanks.
    If you don't learn the fundamentals of marksmanship, you will never excel in pistol shooting. Trigger control is more important than sight alignment. I read over and over on this forum of people who have a hard time keeping all their shots on a target at 10 yards and many at less distance than that. One should be able to point shoot at 7 yards without even bringing the handgun up to eye level. Of course that is once they have mastered trigger control. I don't think you have mastered the art of trigger control. I think, when utilizing the sights, you have been yanking on the trigger when everything looks good. When you are not using the sights, but looking at the target, your trigger control isn't as bad. The manufacturers have been putting sights on handguns forever for a reason. Once you have mastered your trigger control, you will find your sights more useful.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Trigger control is more important than sight alignment. ... Once you have mastered your trigger control, you will find your sights more useful.

agree whole heartedly with this.

dryfire is a great technique for learning trigger control. And a great dryfire technique is the old ballance a dime flat on the FS trick. If you can release the hammer/striker w/o the dime wiggling, let alone falling off the FS, you can shoot groups approaching the mechanical accuracy of the gun. Great practice method that doesn't "cost a dime!"

-rvb

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    So today I went to my local range (MCFG) and shot at the steel in the north bay.They were about 20 yards and are about 8 inches in diameter. I shot my usual way by having the the target and sights out of focus. I assume this means my focus is somewhere between my target and my front sight. I could hit the plates about 8 out of 10 shots.

i switched to a crisp front sight focus and my targets became more blurry and it was very hard to tell if my sights were aligned with the target. Needless to say I felt lucky when I hit the plates.

I get my eyes checked annually and have at least 20/20 vision in each eye. My question is, what am I doing wrong, or are the targets too far and too small at that range for a crisp front sight focus?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    So today I went to my local range (MCFG) and shot at the steel in the north bay.They were about 20 yards and are about 8 inches in diameter. I shot my usual way by having the the target and sights out of focus. I assume this means my focus is somewhere between my target and my front sight. I could hit the plates about 8 out of 10 shots.

i switched to a crisp front sight focus and my targets became more blurry and it was very hard to tell if my sights were aligned with the target. Needless to say I felt lucky when I hit the plates.

I get my eyes checked annually and have at least 20/20 vision in each eye. My question is, what am I doing wrong, or are the targets too far and too small at that range for a crisp front sight focus?
    The human eye isn't capable of keeping a front sight and target in perfect focus. At that distance and with the smaller target, you need to focus on the front sight, press the trigger without disturbing the sight alignment and follow through. All this is easier said than done. You are mistakenly too concerned about the target. Trust your sights and you will hit what you want with a pistol, but you must have very good trigger control, as well as, good follow through. You would benefit by reading some good books on precision shooting and then go to the range with a plan in mind. For most people, shooting a handgun well requires understanding what the fundamentals are and how to apply them. It doesn't happen overnight. There are some good articles out there that demonstrate how just a little misalignment of the sights causes a shot to go way off target, while keeping the sights aligned with one another and allowing the aligned sights to move (nobody can hold a pistol perfectly still) will result in the bullet impacting where you want. It boils down to angular misalignment of the sights or having the sights in alignment and having the gun move perpendicular to the target. The small angular errors of sight alignment at the gun result in greater errors at the target. Think of it as a 1 degree angle will result in 1" displacement off at 100 yards, 2" at 200 yards, etc. If the sights are aligned with one another, there will not be any angle (gun in relation to the target) to contend with, so the error will be just your minute movement you see in your ability to hold. For close range shooting with a handgun, the sights needn't be used, but in all instances trigger control (causing the gun to fire without disturbing the handgun in relation to the target) is essential. Point shooting (without sights) does require practice, as well.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Did you read the thread? Look at posts 15 and 42 (and 83 and 84).

-rvb

Yes, I did read the thread and paid extra attention to posts 15 and 42. I did forget that you mentioned in post 15 that at a greater distance, front sight focus becomes more important. When I went out to the range I tried to shift my focus as you described in post 42 because I had never heard it described like that before. All I have heard before was "focus on your front sight" with no further explanation and never really thought about it. At first it did seem to take forever to shift my focus, but I did a little dry fire practice at the range and I could tell that my focus was shifting quicker. I did download the "Practical Shooting, Beyond Fundamentals" to my kindle and hope to gain some more insight from it. Thank you for that recommendation.

The human eye isn't capable of keeping a front sight and target in perfect focus. At that distance and with the smaller target, you need to focus on the front sight, press the trigger without disturbing the sight alignment and follow through. All this is easier said than done. You are mistakenly too concerned about the target. Trust your sights and you will hit what you want with a pistol, but you must have very good trigger control, as well as, good follow through. You would benefit by reading some good books on precision shooting and then go to the range with a plan in mind. For most people, shooting a handgun well requires understanding what the fundamentals are and how to apply them. It doesn't happen overnight. There are some good articles out there that demonstrate how just a little misalignment of the sights causes a shot to go way off target, while keeping the sights aligned with one another and allowing the aligned sights to move (nobody can hold a pistol perfectly still) will result in the bullet impacting where you want. It boils down to angular misalignment of the sights or having the sights in alignment and having the gun move perpendicular to the target. The small angular errors of sight alignment at the gun result in greater errors at the target. Think of it as a 1 degree angle will result in 1" displacement off at 100 yards, 2" at 200 yards, etc. If the sights are aligned with one another, there will not be any angle (gun in relation to the target) to contend with, so the error will be just your minute movement you see in your ability to hold. For close range shooting with a handgun, the sights needn't be used, but in all instances trigger control (causing the gun to fire without disturbing the handgun in relation to the target) is essential. Point shooting (without sights) does require practice, as well.

Thank you for your input. Now that I am thinking about it, I may have been jerking the trigger and even moving my hands before firing. The reason I think this is because when the target became an almost unidentifiable blur, I may have jerked the trigger to get the shot off before my hands could move off target and other times I am not certain that I trusted my point of aim so I may have adjusted. I consider myself an intermediate level pistol shooter and know that I have much room for improvement. When I left the range, my two thoughts were that my "old" way works much better and that I must be missing something entirely with front sight focus because it just isn't "clicking" for me at the moment. I will continue to try front sight focus in hopes that I will have an "ah-ha" moment soon!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Yes, I did read the thread and paid extra attention to posts 15 and 42. I did forget that you mentioned in post 15 that at a greater distance, front sight focus becomes more important. When I went out to the range I tried to shift my focus as you described in post 42 because I had never heard it described like that before. All I have heard before was "focus on your front sight" with no further explanation and never really thought about it. At first it did seem to take forever to shift my focus, but I did a little dry fire practice at the range and I could tell that my focus was shifting quicker. I did download the "Practical Shooting, Beyond Fundamentals" to my kindle and hope to gain some more insight from it. Thank you for that recommendation.

Thank you for your input. Now that I am thinking about it, I may have been jerking the trigger and even moving my hands before firing. The reason I think this is because when the target became an almost unidentifiable blur, I may have jerked the trigger to get the shot off before my hands could move off target and other times I am not certain that I trusted my point of aim so I may have adjusted. I consider myself an intermediate level pistol shooter and know that I have much room for improvement. When I left the range, my two thoughts were that my "old" way works much better and that I must be missing something entirely with front sight focus because it just isn't "clicking" for me at the moment. I will continue to try front sight focus in hopes that I will have an "ah-ha" moment soon!
    Framing a shot means that the shooter tries to line up the sights with one another and then place the aligned sights on a "point" on the target. Once the shooter does that, he knows that he must do something. His brain screams, "Shoot...shoot...shoot!" Invariably, when he decides he needs to shoot, he pulls the trigger all at once. What happens is that the shot goes wide because of lack of proper trigger control (the sights were therefore misaligned just as the shot broke). To combat this, the shooter must focus on the front sight, so that it is crisp and the rear sights and target are blurry (Remember when I said the eye can't focus on two things at different distances?) Now with the front sight sitting level with the the rear sight and equal light on both sides, the shooter will start the trigger press, with steady increasing pressure. The gun will move some, but the sights will stay aligned. He will ignore the target and continue the press until the gun discharges. Often the shot will surprise the shooter and he will say, "That was a bad shot!" because he reacted once the shot was fired. He will then look at the results and unbelievably the shot will be where he wanted it, that is, if he controlled the trigger. If he continues to try to apply the fundamentals, he will learn to trust them and his sights. Once the shooter learns that applying the fundamentals leads to good shots time and time again, he builds confidence in the fundamentals. For most people, it is a slow learning process. If a shooter has been shooting a handgun for some time, there will be bad habits instilled and they must be broken to relearn the proper fundamentals. Once sight alignment and trigger control are mastered, one can add drawing and shooting, reloading drills, speed, point shooting, shooting and moving, etc. Many new shooters seem to want to skip instilling the fundamentals and just start shooting. IMHO, in the long run, they will limit their ability to excel.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Now with the front sight sitting level with the the rear sight and equal light on both sides, the shooter will start the trigger press, with steady increasing pressure. The gun will move some, but the sights will stay aligned. He will ignore the target and continue the press until the gun discharges. Often the shot will surprise the shooter and he will say, "That was a bad shot!" because he reacted once the shot was fired. He will then look at the results and unbelievably the shot will be where he wanted it, that is, if he controlled the trigger.

going beyond basics here, but ideally you should still know where your sights are aligned on the target as you are pressing the trigger. When the shot breaks, and the sights lift, you should be able to "call" your shot... ie know where the bullet went based on the sight picture at the time the sights lifted. just becasue the target is not in clear focus doesn't mean you can't use what you see....

-rvb

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    going beyond basics here, but ideally you should still know where your sights are aligned on the target as you are pressing the trigger. When the shot breaks, and the sights lift, you should be able to "call" your shot... ie know where the bullet went based on the sight picture at the time the sights lifted. just becasue the target is not in clear focus doesn't mean you can't use what you see....

-rvb
    I find that if I have my eye focused on the front sight, so that it is sharp I line up on my target. I do this when shooting multiple targets or single. I don't think that I'm exceptional. Of course on close in shots, when I'm point shooting, I try to focus on a small part of the target with as much effort as possible.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    ...you need to focus on the front sight, press the trigger without disturbing the sight alignment and follow through. All this is easier said than done. You are mistakenly too concerned about the target. Trust your sights and you will hit what you want with a pistol, but you must have very good trigger control, as well as, good follow through. You would benefit by reading some good books on precision shooting and then go to the range with a plan in mind. For most people, shooting a handgun well requires understanding what the fundamentals are and how to apply them. It doesn't happen overnight...
    I think I had my ah ha moment that I mentioned upthread! I have been too busy with work for the last few weeks to get out to the range but I have made it out twice this week and have been working on things mentioned in this thread. What you said that I have bold and underlined really stuck with me and it was true. This has helped me tremendously! When I learn to trust the sights more and make sure I didn't disrupt my sight picture as the shot broke I had significant improvement in my shooting in only these two range sessions.

Here is a picture of a target I shot at 7 yards and about 40 rounds. I was also consistently hitting the 8in steel targets at 20 yards with a hard front sight focus!

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      469 KB · Views: 9

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I think I had my ah ha moment that I mentioned upthread! I have been too busy with work for the last few weeks to get out to the range but I have made it out twice this week and have been working on things mentioned in this thread. What you said that I have bold and underlined really stuck with me and it was true. This has helped me tremendously! When I learn to trust the sights more and make sure I didn't disrupt my sight picture as the shot broke I had significant improvement in my shooting in only these two range sessions.

Here is a picture of a target I shot at 7 yards and about 40 rounds. I was also consistently hitting the 8in steel targets at 20 yards with a hard front sight focus!
    You're on the right track. Keep watching that front sight and keep perfecting trigger control and your 25 yard groups will look like that! I am reading the book, "Tales of the Stakeout Unit". Jim Cirillo described one of his shootouts. He said that he was watching the front sight so closely that he could see the serrations across the front sight. Jim won all of his shootouts.

Whitey1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    You can find some of the best shooters in the world shooting USPSA. The name of the USPSA magazine is "Front Sight". Wonder why...

Top Bottom