• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    How does the plane leave the Middle East and get to the Caribbean un-detected?

Its been over a week and they don't know where the thing is now. Unnoticed isn't a requirement, just unidentified. Confusion would work in their favor.

Note, I don't see this scenario happening. Just throwing in an opinion.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    I saw a very convincing argument for a fire on board with the turn made pointing in the direction of a large runway. With the supposed strange turns after passing back over land I don't know though.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Its been over a week and they don't know where the thing is now. Unnoticed isn't a requirement, just unidentified. Confusion would work in their favor.

Note, I don't see this scenario happening. Just throwing in an opinion.

Fair point...use the old magicians trick of slight of hand. Hey, look at this big distraction over here, while I very subtly do the old switch-a-roo over here. Could happen, just thinking to get to the Caribbean it would have to go on yet another pretty wild route, with probably 2 -3 more fuel stops to get there.

I'm thinking that it was hijacked (either by pilots or others) and in the attempt to steal it, they flew some of the waypoints mentioned on the latest media reports. My thinking is that it probably got shot down or crashed over land.

The shot down theory in my mind is plausible, as an un-identified target entering airspace and not responding could be considered a threat and a reason to fire. The country that did it realized this was a "whoops" and now are keeping quiet.

The crash theory is similar...in that plane was stolen and en-route to a potential alternate location, but crashed trying to fly under the radar. Something a lot of folks have focused on in other web posts are that once the plane is below cruising altitude, fuel economy drops off to where the range of the aircraft may not be the same as if in cruise. There are many reasons planes fly at the altitude they do, and one of which is cruise range / fuel consumption.

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    How does the plane leave the Middle East and get to the Caribbean un-detected?

How does a plane fly for 7-8 hours after losing contact un-detected? They could fly to Somalia, Libya, or some place like that. We are not well liked in that portion of the world. But that was one possible scenario. It could be any scheduled international flight.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    How does a plane fly for 7-8 hours after losing contact un-detected? They could fly to Somalia, Libya, or some place like that. We are not well liked in that portion of the world. But that was one possible scenario. It could be any scheduled international flight.

security through obscurity. No one knew to look for it

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    security through obscurity. No one knew to look for it

'Security' through nothing, look at the Dawson's field hijackings in the 70s. Our security apparatus knew it was possible, the FAA knew it was possible. They just chose not to do anything about the inherent weaknesses in a mode of travel that packs hundreds of strangers into big metallic could-be bombs for over four decades.

I know next-to-nothing about aviation. How easy or difficult would it be to disguise this plane as another plane if the theory of hijacking-with-future-purpose is correct and if one had State actors (Iran) involved? Aside from checking every Boeing 777 in the world for the appropriate unique identifier(s), how would a competent inspection authority distinguish a hijacked repainted, modified Boeing 777 from the rest in the fleets around the world held by private airline companies? Is it possible to spoof or forge or simply steal the identification scheme from one 777 and transplant it onto the MH 370 plane with assistance from malevolent State actor (Iran) assistance?

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Here's the thing, folks...

One does not simply "spoof" a transponder code. Those codes aren't unique to a given airplane, they are generated with each flight plan.

In order for some of these conspiracies to work, you'd have to have this plane hidden in a LARGE hangar, repainted, then flown to a major airport that has international service with a Boeing 777 to the United States - all without detection. Then, you'd need to get the transponder code of the actual flight bound for the US, and then attempt to pretend wherever your airplane is on the airport is really the airliner bound for the US. You're not going to have the plane in flight, grab a code on the ground, then attempt to use it in the air - it does not work like that.

Or in the shootdown scenario, you'd be gambling that the airliner shot down could even be brought down with a MANPAD (a DHL Airbus A300 took a hit in Baghdad a few years back and made an emergency landing with an engine blown off) and that they wouldn't communicate what was happening...because if they breathed one word about it but a plane tried to say "No, we're good" suspicions would immediately go up.

Could it be used as a big-arse cruise missile or a weapon delivery system of some sort, if in fact the airplane is still in one piece? Yes. But that doesn't mean that's the current situation.

When it doubt, Occam's Razor.

swampdonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Bloomington
    A Startlingly Simple Theory About the Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet | Autopia | Wired.com

I saw this article today about FLT 370. it is a very well written piece from a very experienced pilot. i think he makes some very good points and some very good determinations from his wealth of experience. to me this is the first explanation that has seemed realistic and matches the given evidence at hand. I hate to say i think he is right as it would mean the death of all on board but i hope and pray this is not a precursor to a larger terror plot.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    A Startlingly Simple Theory About the Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet | Autopia | Wired.com

I saw this article today about FLT 370. it is a very well written piece from a very experienced pilot. i think he makes some very good points and some very good determinations from his wealth of experience. to me this is the first explanation that has seemed realistic and matches the given evidence at hand. I hate to say i think he is right as it would mean the death of all on board but i hope and pray this is not a precursor to a larger terror plot.

Good read..

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    It's in a hangar on an abandoned airfield. Interior is being stripped out to make room for a big arsed home made nuclear 'devise'. Destination?, who knows? Scary to even guess.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Here's the thing, folks...

One does not simply "spoof" a transponder code. Those codes aren't unique to a given airplane, they are generated with each flight plan.

In order for some of these conspiracies to work, you'd have to have this plane hidden in a LARGE hangar, repainted, then flown to a major airport that has international service with a Boeing 777 to the United States - all without detection. Then, you'd need to get the transponder code of the actual flight bound for the US, and then attempt to pretend wherever your airplane is on the airport is really the airliner bound for the US. You're not going to have the plane in flight, grab a code on the ground, then attempt to use it in the air - it does not work like that.

Or in the shootdown scenario, you'd be gambling that the airliner shot down could even be brought down with a MANPAD (a DHL Airbus A300 took a hit in Baghdad a few years back and made an emergency landing with an engine blown off) and that they wouldn't communicate what was happening...because if they breathed one word about it but a plane tried to say "No, we're good" suspicions would immediately go up.

Could it be used as a big-arse cruise missile or a weapon delivery system of some sort, if in fact the airplane is still in one piece? Yes. But that doesn't mean that's the current situation.

When it doubt, Occam's Razor.

I realize that the transponder signal is issued on a per-flight basis, you said that much earlier, but there isn't some sort of vehicle-identification number anywhere on the fusilage or stamped anywhere into the plane? All Boeing 777s are indistinguishable from other Boeing 777s? All same-model aircraft are indistinguishable from other same-model aircraft except for N-tail numbers and paint jobs? That's really what I'm wanting to know.

Max Volume

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland

This man contradicts himself. He seems to think that a fire knocked out the transponder and ACARS. He goes on to state that the priority (understandably) is to get the plane on the ground ASAP. Then he says the crew was incapacitated due to such a fire and the plane flew on auto pilot 6 hours until fuel exhaustion. Later in the article he relates a previous instance of fire; "The 1998 crash of Swissair DC-10 off Nova Scotia was another example of heroic pilots. They were 15 minutes out of Halifax but the fire overcame them and they had to ditch in the ocean. They simply ran out of time".

I find it very difficult to believe that in fire bad enough to incapacitate the crew the aircraft would be in an airworthy condition for 6 hours on autopilot until fuel exhaustion. The one example he cited couldn't make it 15 minutes to an airport.

Top Bottom