• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I just wrote to my representative in Congress, your thoughts INGO?
    Dear Rep. Houchin, I think there needs to be a law that allows burning the American flag, with these provisos... you have to announce the time and place of the burning, every VFW, and American Legion post with in 25 miles MUST be notified. I think if those brave people who have fought, and lost friends in war show up to a flag burning, the burnings will stop pretty darn quick! Just my thoughts, thank you for your time, and keep up the great work you are doing for us!!!!

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Dear Rep. Houchin, I think there needs to be a law that allows burning the American flag, with these provisos... you have to announce the time and place of the burning, every VFW, and American Legion post with in 25 miles MUST be notified. I think if those brave people who have fought, and lost friends in war show up to a flag burning, the burnings will stop pretty darn quick! Just my thoughts, thank you for your time, and keep up the great work you are doing for us!!!!
    I'm not happy myself, with some burning our flag. But,
    Why do you hate Protected Free Speech?

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

I respectfully disagree.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    This is a tough one for me Smitty. I think the line can be drawn with the question, "Is it your flag?" What we saw in DC yesterday should absolutely come with serious penalties. Raising the flag of a terrorist organization on property that is not yours? Add the pile-on charges.

I never got a chance to speak to Erin Houchin when she was a State Senator, although I was in the same room with her a few times. I like her. She has an A+ from NRA-PVF and her husband played baseball with my BiL so he was at the in-laws house "back in the day" ;)

Not for sure but I heard, in Louisiana beating a flag-burner is an infraction with a $25 fine.

The 1st Amendment is one of my favorite parts of the Bill of Rights. I don't want .gov trying to lock me up because I destroy my property.

Likewise, if somebody trespasses and burns a US Flag that is not theirs? Maybe the distinct possibility of an arse-whoopin from somebody who keeps $25 stuck in the back of their wallet just for such an occasion would be a good deterrent.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    This is a tough one for me Smitty. I think the line can be drawn with the question, "Is it your flag?" What we saw in DC yesterday should absolutely come with serious penalties. Raising the flag of a terrorist organization on property that is not yours? Add the pile-on charges.
    Indeed.
    Destruction of property that is not yours is a different matter.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    No. I left the American Legion probably 20 years ago over this issue, among others. Instead of dedicating time and money to fighting the VA for better care for veterans, better job opportunities for veterans, better access to housing for veterans, they were spending money and talent on trying to get Congress to pass an amendment to the US Constitution to ban flag burning. Between that and "here's how to raise your kids" it wasn't a veterans advocacy group any longer, it was a bunch of old men sitting around complaining about 'kids these days' and wondering why young vets weren't joining...but I digress

I'm a veteran. I've buried friends and family under the US flag. I understand the symbolism. But any given flag is just a piece of cloth. You can burn *a* flag, you can't burn *the* flag, and the more you pay attention to flag burners the more incentive they have to do it. It is a political demonstration and both the US Constitution and long standing case law protect religious and political speech above any of our feelings or dislikes.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The really smart folk are laying it out correctly.

If you want to "free speech" by damaging other's property, private or govt, be prepared to be punished.

At the very least, forced into an orange jumpsuit while publicly restoring the damage done. After paying the replacement cost from unrepairable damage done by your "free speeching."

1721960992925.png

1721960961575.png

:flamethrower:

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Myself and repeter1977 just got done with 4 hours of "retiring" flags at our American Legion Post
    I prefer the term to "burning".
    Burning implies protest and disrespect.
    Retiring implies respect and laying to rest.

We call dispatch in our town, to let them know, in case people report the smoke.
    Clean up the fire pit.
    Start the fire.
    Place the grating over it.

Then we have a ceremony where we read from a prepared speech, and "dismantle" the flag.
    One stripe at a time, reading the name of an original colony.
    Then, a statement about the 50 states in the union, and the blue field and stars go in.

We can't do this for all flags, we retire thousands.
    Some are grave side flags.
    Some the 3x5 or 4x6 from houses.
    And a few are the huge gas station or huge business flags that take multiple people to feed into the fire.

Yes. We have some that want to make a law to "protect" the flag.
    I am one that sides on the "First Amendment" side of the issue.
    I think that if it is "their" flag, I may not like it, but it's theirs.
    But, if they are burning one NOT theirs, well then there should be charges for vandalism.

And if they catch themselves on fire.. well I might laugh a bit.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend with my life, your right to say it."
    THIS.
    Burn the American flag, its your right.

But you must MUST MUST burn you OWN flag. You rip down somebody ELSE'S flag and burn stolen property, all bets are off. The penalty should be steep for burning a stolen flag.

Top Bottom