• ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Maybe murals shouldn't be on a road.
    If the burning of a flag is “speech”, isn’t a burnout on a mural on a street also ”speech”? As for the ownership part, it is public road available for all legal uses, therefore if open for driving it is open for burnouts as long as those burnouts do not rise to the level they would be ticketed for on any other street.

My not a lawyer assessment of the point.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2024
    Terre Haute
    But the question was not answered.
    Oh yeah my bad, i dont think its damaging it once the reason for it being made has passed, from what ive seen they usually are made for events or a celebration so i dont think they will last very long any way. If you want to put alot of effort into it that is fine but dont paint it on the road. So if you drive on it a few days after it was made i dont think its a big deal but i dont think everyone sees it that way

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2024
    Terre Haute
    If the burning of a flag is “speech”, isn’t a burnout on a mural on a street also ”speech”? As for the ownership part, it is public road available for all legal uses, therefore if open for driving it is open for burnouts as long as those burnouts do not rise to the level they would be ticketed for on any other street.

Im also not a lawyer and i think thats how it goes, I think taking someones flag that you dont own and burning it is a crime though but i could be wrong

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Burning your own flag is different than burning a publicly owned flag

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Burning your own flag is different than burning a publicly owned flag
    I fully understand that.

As for the ownership part, it is public road available for all legal uses, therefore if open for driving it is open for burnouts as long as those burnouts do not rise to the level they would be ticketed for on any other street.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Is it illegal to leave marks on any other part of the street?

Is it vandalism if it's another part of the street? Are you suggesting their intent was not to deface it, and that the intent of a burn out at a random stop sign is to deface it? Regardless, still ranging far afield from "my property vs other people's property" which was the point of contention.

If it were an American flag mural they wouldn’t have been charged. Change my mind.

Probably places were a prosecutor would file it are also places that wouldn't put a US flag on the ground to be driven on. :dunno: Prosecutorial discretion cuts both ways.

Maybe murals shouldn't be on a road.

This. It seems to be to be inherently disrespectful to put something down to be driven on in the course of regular business and just invites shenanigans.

CPE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2023
    Hardinsburg
    I usually refrain from responding or adding to posts like this. But I must say while I disagree with the OP as I fully support the first amendment, I find the fact that (in my opinion - not that it matters) 99.9 % of the replies to the OP are intelligent and well thought out, and mostly did not veer off topic. Very unusual for a forum, and a delight to find. Now destruction of private or public property is NOT freedom of speech, and should be dealt with appropriately regardless of the political look of it. Unfortunate but it seems that most elected and public officials ... well, I'm just going to stop here. Anyway Kudos to those of you that support a fine forum with intelligent well thought out replies. Very inspiring.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    I usually refrain from responding or adding to posts like this. But I must say while I disagree with the OP as I fully support the first amendment, I find the fact that (in my opinion - not that it matters) 99.9 % of the replies to the OP are intelligent and well thought out, and mostly did not veer off topic. Very unusual for a forum, and a delight to find. Now destruction of private or public property is NOT freedom of speech, and should be dealt with appropriately regardless of the political look of it. Unfortunate but it seems that most elected and public officials ... well, I'm just going to stop here. Anyway Kudos to those of you that support a fine forum with intelligent well thought out replies. Very inspiring.
    Welcome new user. There is a introductions and greetings thread for new users to post and tell us a little about themselves.

CodeBlue

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 15, 2023
    Westfield
    Today i just received my new American Made! American Flag 3' X 5' and have my old tattered one folded up and ready for drop off at my local VFW.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Yesterday on TV they showed that dips**t Snoop Dogg riding around with an American flag draped around his waist like it was a blanket. Good thing I wasn't there. Probably would of been arrested or accosted by his security detail. F*****g clown.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Hello and welcome to INGO. That was an outstanding first post. Please click the link below and introduce yourself.

So did you go to West Washington?

Top Bottom