• ...and so much more!
  • fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Seems most everyone is on the same track here.

You wanna burn a flag, buy a flag and burn it. You wanna burn that flag while you chant "Fullmetaljesus is a little bitch boy **** him!" Or some some political ****. Have at it. I'll disagree with you and I'll think you're a piece of **** but it's your right have at it. But if you wanna steal a flag and then burn it. Let's rack up the charges. Theft, destruction of property, destruction of evidence, etc etc.

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    I just dropped off five US Flags at the post office yesterday. I thought they all had a box of some sort for that, but this one said no but they would take them to the local VFW for me. They can’t handle the New Mexico winds for more than about two months.

My flagpole is inside a fence, out in the country. I pity the poor fool that comes inside my fence and takes down my flag(s).

Question. What is the proper way to drop off my flags at a VFW? I had them folded neatly, but not in a triangle, and in a paper bag. It crossed my mind that that didn’t really seem right, but wasn’t sure what to do exactly. The Postmaster took them without any comment.

Flagpole looks bent in picture but I assure you it’s not. Third 30 footer from Service First, all under warranty. I wanted to try a 25 footer but they told me the warranty would only cover replacement of the same pole, so…….anyway, I put 20 feet of chain link top rail inside and added the weights and tethers to transfer some stress from the very top, as suggested by the company. We get A LOT of wind up here at 7000 feet!

Attachments

• IMG_5326.jpeg
      IMG_5326.jpeg
      339.8 KB · Views: 11
    Last edited:

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Flag burning should be legal, but not without consequences To be determined by the public opposition. This should be one of those things you can say “yes I can do it, but is it worth the receive?”

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I'm big on freedom.

Yes, that mean idiots should have the right to burn the flag in protest that I served under for 28 years.

I don't currently have the right to do that to a "pride" flag without facing "hate crime" charges.

Of course, for every action, there is (or should be) an equal but opposite reaction.

This means I (or any patriot) should have the right to voice (or otherwise demonstrate) our displeasure at their disrespect... without facing prosecution. Same goes for any in the alphabet comminuty should they wish to stop me from burning their flag.

With THIS right being restored... uncouth behavior of this type would soon dissipate.

Especially since people like me... (and most of INGO) know better than to go around looking for trouble... by publicly causing uproar against others... on purpose... just to get a reaction.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    This is a tough one for me Smitty. I think the line can be drawn with the question, "Is it your flag?" What we saw in DC yesterday should absolutely come with serious penalties. Raising the flag of a terrorist organization on property that is not yours? Add the pile-on charges.

I never got a chance to speak to Erin Houchin when she was a State Senator, although I was in the same room with her a few times. I like her. She has an A+ from NRA-PVF and her husband played baseball with my BiL so he was at the in-laws house "back in the day" ;)

Not for sure but I heard, in Louisiana beating a flag-burner is an infraction with a $25 fine.

The 1st Amendment is one of my favorite parts of the Bill of Rights. I don't want .gov trying to lock me up because I destroy my property.

Likewise, if somebody trespasses and burns a US Flag that is not theirs? Maybe the distinct possibility of an arse-whoopin from somebody who keeps $25 stuck in the back of their wallet just for such an occasion would be a good deterrent.
    I think I can find $25 to contribute!

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    First of all thank you to all who have served under our flag. I didn't have that opportunity and I have the deepest respect for those who have.
    I agree with those who have said it's one thing to burn a flag that's your own property, but not one that belongs to someone else or public (gov't) property. However, as we all know this is one of many areas that become an obstacle because prosecutors all too often won't file charges. Often because they use their ideologies to in effect change laws by policy making and failure to do their job to get votes. IMHO since this can be such a disgraceful act, it should carry some mandatory penalties and should be written in a way to force prosecutors to file such charges. Also, IMHO this should go for things such as monuments, government facilities and designated historical sites as well.

Oh and there should be no such thing as a "hate crime".

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    I just dropped off five US Flags at the post office yesterday. I thought they all had a box of some sort for that, but this one said no but they would take them to the local VFW for me. They can’t handle the New Mexico winds for more than about two months.

My flagpole is inside a fence, out in the country. I pity the poor fool that comes inside my fence and takes down my flag(s).

Question. What is the proper way to drop off my flags at a VFW? I had them folded neatly, but not in a triangle, and in a paper bag. It crossed my mind that that didn’t really seem right, but wasn’t sure what to do exactly. The Postmaster took them without any comment.

Flagpole looks bent in picture but I assure you it’s not. Third 30 footer from Service First, all under warranty. I wanted to try a 25 footer but they told me the warranty would only cover replacement of the same pole, so…….anyway, I put 20 feet of chain link top rail inside and added the weights and tethers to transfer some stress from the very top, as suggested by the company. We get A LOT of wind up here at 7000 feet!
    Concerning dropping off the flag, I would contact your local VFW or American Legion to see what they want. My local VFW has an old large curbside style U.S. Mailbox outside the front door. It is repainted red, white, and blue, and labelled for flag disposal. Pull down the door and drop in the flag.
    I do not think that the triangle fold is necessary.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    It is 100% a right to burn the flag to either properly retire it, or out of malice and hatred. But it is a right.

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    Remember, that regardless of size, it is still an American flag, not a toy. They should still be disposed of properly and not just tossed in the trash.
    In my old neighborhood on certain holidays some group would stick a flag in the ground in every front yard. Sometimes they would push the stick in too deeply and the flag would touch the ground. Other times I would see one laying on the ground when I was out for a walk. I would stop and reset it.
    If you choose to fly a flag from your vehicle, be sure to replace it when it starts to tatter or becomes soiled.

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    My point is those old vets already have shown they can kick some arse, might be enough to stop the idiots..
    Very few veterans have seen actual combat, even those in combat zones. Even fewer have done hand to hand. Most members of the military are involved in support and logistics.
    https://www.thesoldiersproject.org/what-percentage-of-the-military-sees-combat/

Many Legion and VFW members have been out of uniform for decades and have not kept in shape to kick anything.
    Note that I have not used the terms "all" or "none" above. We certainly respect what they did or were willing to do for their country.

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    Thanks for the replies on proper disposal. I’ll check out where the nearest VFW is, otherwise the Postmaster did say they would get them there.

We are in a high desert area, having a fire is not usually such a great idea around me.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom