First time I had to draw my handgun (in this state)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    OP, I would email the moderators and request they delete this thread. If you are hard pressed to defend yourself among sympathetic people, how would this play out in court?

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    And if he refused? Or if upon removing it from the jacket, we find that he is indeed gripping a firearm? What then?

I have a question for all of you telling the OP what he should have done differently? Are you being honest and qualifying your statements with the disclaimer that your advice is based on achieving a particular end? Or are you just assuming that everybody else in this world has to respond to all threats the same way you would?

I think if he had refused, that the OP and his Girlfriend who both went outside should have slowly moved back inside, while keeping an Eye on the Gentlemen. Then call the police(which should have taken place in the first place)

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I think if he had refused, that the OP and his Girlfriend who both went outside should have slowly moved back inside, while keeping an Eye on the Gentlemen. Then call the police(which should have taken place in the first place)
    You completely missed the point. We're long past the point of "should haves."

The point is OP was evaluating the situation in real time with his priorities and prejudices, and it's utterly ridiculous for anyone here to say that OP acted poorly or not without qualifying what standard the Monday Morning Quarterback is using. I'd argue he chose admirably. He's still alive. His girlfriend is still alive. The douche is still alive (though whether that's a good thing or bad thing depends on your point of view of douches and criminals, I suppose). :dunno:

I don't know why everything body think he should have called police. Is a man not entitled to defend his property and his self without first jumping through hoops? Why shouldn't he have opened the door to see who it was? (Warning: I am employing the Socratic method here to draw the discussion in a particular direction to a particular conclusion. If anyone chooses to engage in this Q&A, I will keep it on topic.)

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Ah, the good, old-fashioned INGO dogpile: when it takes more than one person to criticize, you need the INGO dogpile.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better." - Theodore Roosevelt

Pray no one ever has a near-stranger behaving strangely show up at their door in the dead of night.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Ah, the good, old-fashioned INGO dogpile: when it takes more than one person to criticize, you need the INGO dogpile.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better." - Theodore Roosevelt

Pray no one ever has a near-stranger behaving strangely show up at their door in the dead of night.

Been there done that.

Didn't end up on the internet though so did it really happen??

Man I love these threads!!:banana:

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I don't know why everything body think he should have called police. Is a man not entitled to defend his property and his self without first jumping through hoops? Why shouldn't he have opened the door to see who it was?

HI! You're missing the point. Completely.

The point

which you missed

is that the OP, put his gun in this guy's face for knocking on his door at 2:30 am for having his hand in his pocket. Did the visitor threaten them? I didn't see that anywhere. No, he knocked, with one hand, apparently. The visitor is alive because the OP showed mercy on him.

That's what you're missing. How stupid that sounds.

I think an easier alternative would have told him to get lost, minus the barrel in the face.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    HI! You're missing the point. Completely.

The point

which you missed

is that the OP, put his gun in this guy's face for knocking on his door at 2:30 am for having his hand in his pocket. Did the visitor threaten them? I didn't see that anywhere. No, he knocked, with one hand, apparently. The visitor is alive because the OP showed mercy on him.

That's what you're missing. How stupid that sounds.

I think an easier alternative would have told him to get lost, minus the barrel in the face.

He didnt put the gun in the guys face and the other guy did not have his hand in his pocket

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Good point. OP is a hero.

Top Bottom