• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    Congrats! Now that you've held it, the wait will be even HARDER...

Yes I know, I have to forget all about it once more.. What a cool feeling it was to be able to slide the selector into full auto and hear it click. Wow it actually does full auto and its not just a label on the gun. Then Greg with BGF says "ya wait till you shoot it". Hard to forget about that :cool:. Oh well, I will just have to find something else I can get into in the mean time like buiding a couple of my own AR's / SBR's... That should help for a little while. :ingo:

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    So does taking the pic for you make up for the fact that I [strike]played with[/strike] "cleaned it for you" before you got to it?? :):

Congrats on the A1, it is by far the nicest looking "used" one I have ever seen!!!

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    hey if you dont already have at least one SBR stamp then dont take that upper home if its not at least a 16" barrel (it looked like a 14.5") or you could get a visit from the ATF for posseing parts to build an SBR without a stamp. just possesing the upper with a un-SBR registered receiver is a violation of the law and the same as putting it together. im not an expert but thats what i had been told before i got my stamp and Ive seen it on here too. im sure guys who know will comment if im wrong.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    A registered machine gun trumps the need for an SBR tax stamp. You can put any sized upper on a registered machine gun.

yes i know that because i have a MG. but what im saying is, he doesnt have LEGAL possetion of the machine gun yet. its in the dealers possesion for a long wait now. after it becomes his then yes sure he can have whatever. thats why i asked if he has a registered SBR presently. cause if he doesnt and he has a regular AR-15 lower on his property he could be in trouble. im just trying to look out for the guy, not call him out. but i wanna post my thought on it in case im wrong, so someone can clarrify for me.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    yes i know that because i have a MG. but what im saying is, he doesnt have LEGAL possetion of the machine gun yet. its in the dealers possesion for a long wait now. after it becomes his then yes sure he can have whatever. thats why i asked if he has a registered SBR presently. cause if he doesnt and he has a regular AR-15 lower on his property he could be in trouble. im just trying to look out for the guy, not call him out. but i wanna post my thought on it in case im wrong, so someone can clarrify for me.

The upper in the photo is 16"+

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    ok cool. it just looks short. but was i right about what i said, if it would have been a shorty?

Different people have different opinions about constructive possession, and I try and keep my opinions to myself because I don't want people taking legal advice from me. Plus my opionion doesn't seem to be the "internets" conventional thinking.

It is best to listen to the US Supreme Court. As far as I have found, the USSC has never changed their opinion on the case below.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    The Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit reversed, holding that a short barreled rifle "actually must be assembled" in order to be "made" within the meaning of the NFA. 924 F. 2d 1041, 1043 (1991). The Court of Appeals expressly declined to follow the decision of the Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit in United States v. Drasen, 845 F. 2d 731, cert. denied, 488 U.S. 909 (1988), which had held that an unassembled "complete parts kit" for a short barreled rifle was in fact a short barreled rifle for purposes of the NFA. We granted certiorari to resolve this conflict. 502 U. S. ___ (1991)
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    It is best to listen to the US Supreme Court. As far as I have found, the USSC has never changed their opinion on the case below.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    The Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit reversed, holding that a short barreled rifle "actually must be assembled" in order to be "made" within the meaning of the NFA. 924 F. 2d 1041, 1043 (1991). The Court of Appeals expressly declined to follow the decision of the Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit in United States v. Drasen, 845 F. 2d 731, cert. denied, 488 U.S. 909 (1988), which had held that an unassembled "complete parts kit" for a short barreled rifle was in fact a short barreled rifle for purposes of the NFA. We granted certiorari to resolve this conflict. 502 U. S. ___ (1991)
    --------------------------------------------------------------

:+1:for the case info. Thanks I didn't know about this case but I certainly going to google it now. Should make for an interesting read.

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    IMPD Update

I thought I would post some info for those who live in Indy like myself because I know it differs a little bit from some county's as far as how to get your form 1 & 4 completed.

I'm not going to go into detail there is plenty of that up in the sticky's as far as procedure. Fill out your Form 1 or 4 by typing it out or by printing in ink. Get your Passport Photo's taken. For me Walgreens had a sale this week. I got them for 5.99 + tax for 2. I actually got 5 pairs (some for future forms that I have coming up and just got them out of the way).
    I taped those to the forms. Then took the trip downtown, paid for the parking and then went through good old security. Since I've done this recently. I left my belt, change, extra cell, and anything else I didnt need in the truck hidden because you have to remove everything and sometimes even your shoes. 20 min later I was through security. Indianapolis charges $3.00 per finger print card. So your having to do two per Form 1 or 4 so be prepared for $6.00 a Form. Lucky me I had 3 forms, so 6 cards to do.
    Lets just say the lady helping wasn't the happiest person. Was nice enough to tell me she thinks there should be a two card limit per day because it's hurting their backs and the state doesn't do their own cards. The city doesnt care, they just want the dollar. I just smiled cause I wanted my cards done and forms signed off. :D So once that was completed she signed the finger print cards and stuck them in an envelope for me. Took my number and in a few days I should get a call to come back and pick up my signed forms.

Now the one thing she was kind enough to point out to me which I can't believe I missed it. On everything I read on the forms 1 & 4 said to print or write in ink. Well I printed my forms, but on the finger print cards at the very top is says to type or print in black. Guess what, I printed everything in blue ink. I'm freakin out now if the NFA will deny because its blue ink?
    Anyone else do this bone head move? Should I try to write over with black? Sucks cause I'm not going back to her for more prints....:dunno:

Thoughts - dare I try and see?

Well I happen to have a ultra fine point black pen and it copies over the blue perfectly. So unless you have it two inches from your face. You can't even tell. So my punishment will be to do them all over nice and slow. I'll feel better knowing they are in black.

Last edited:

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    I think I may have used blue ink in the past, not sure.

Anyways for those in Tippecanoe County. Gloria at the Sheriff's Department is generally doing the fingerprinting and paperwork on NFA transfers for me. She is a great person, always friendly, always joking around. Last time I had 3 transfers too and she took it with a laugh.

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    Form 4 signed

Finally got my Form 4 signed from IMPD and I'm in the home stretch - Got two form 1's and the Form 4 in duplicate back today. Total of 18 days, however 7 of those days the guy was on vacation (apparently no one else can sign). He had 5 of the six forms signed just missed one page otherwise it would have only been 7 days. So Whoohoo now to get these puppys mailed. :D:ar15:

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    Well I'm jumping the gun here a little bit!

I just called BATFE to check on one of my supressors to see if it was pending, which it is. So since I had the lady on the phone I asked her to check on one more for me. My M16 was already pending but I figured what the heck. She said it was approved on 7-12. So now I wait an est 1 -2 weeks for the stamp to be mailed to the FFL.

Whoohoo!!

:ar15:

Top Bottom