• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    As bstewrat said above, SOME firefighters (in SOME jurisdictions) do indeed have police powers.
    In some citys they are call public safety officers and are both FF and LEOs, but not here.
    Generally associated with things done in relation to scene control, investigation, etc etc. I'm pretty sure that fire marshals have much more policing powers than many of us know.
    All Our Arson Investigators go through IMPD's academy. Given a badge and a glock.
    I also don't think that IFD, if this was the Dept in question, grants LE responsibilities. I claim ignorance on that one.
    IFD only has some police type positions... SWAT medics and Arson investigators, neither could care less about a LTCH
    Whatever powers a certain FF might have in a certain jurisdiction, I'd be willing to bet that trying to start a de facto Terry stop is NOT covered by their "powers"; especially since it's not anything at all related to the fire fighter job duties.

Still doesn't excuse the behavior of this officer in this instance, of course...

-J-

Just two jacks that happen to be firefighters or tax feeders, whatever the hell that means :rolleyes:

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    What a couple of jack wagons. Must have been a couple of townies ;)

Most firefighters I know would have asked more questions about you carry piece than the stupid laminated paper you have to buy to haul it around.

Just to toss this out there (even though there are plenty of jackass firefighters also) some of the folks I work with are also part-time cops, not IMPD but generally reserve or county somewhere.

Not the "evil townies":runaway::runaway::runaway::runaway::runaway::runaway:

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    See, this is pretty typical firefighter behavior. They're all ****ing heros.

And before I get flamed, I'm allowed to make derogatory comments, I was a medic and worked with way too many.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Just something to chew on for a while -

When you really ponder it, a fireman has just as much right to ask for your LTCH as a police officer does when you're simply standing in line for breakfast, not committing any crime. Neither of them should care or bother you.

We have the right to keep and bear arms. I long for the day when one can start a thread about how some clueless officer asked to see a handgun license and the carrier just laughed him off too.

A fireman has no more right to ask for your LTCH than I do if I walked up to you while in a line.

Their job is to fight fires and rescue people, not to enforce laws.
    Othere wise we'd have JBT's wearing a cross mix of turnout gear and SWAT uniforms.

I honestly think if this would have happened to me (no offense to our firemen here) that I would have laughed my rear off while telling them that they better dail 911 real quick about a MWG report.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Too bad you ran into a bad apple. Of all the public servants, firemen and EMT's are my favorites.

They don't write me tickets, they don't tell me what to do (of course, I don't eat breakfast at Arbys), but they sure are johnny on the spot when you have a heart attack or wreck your car.

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    Too bad you ran into a bad apple. Of all the public servants, firemen and EMT's are my favorites.

They don't write me tickets, they don't tell me what to do (of course, I don't eat breakfast at Arbys), but they sure are johnny on the spot when you have a heart attack or wreck your car.

we are lucky to have free fire and free ambulance service here....and aside from the few, I like most of them, except the day I was yelling at the fire chief for running a stop sign and running me off the road(no lights, siren, or call).....lol

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    the emt's here in hancock county are hit and miss, there was a guy that wrecked his bike on U.S. 52 and was fine walking around and having a smoke to calm down and the emt's showed up and insisted they take him to the hospital when all he wanted to do is go home and relax after the incident but went with them anyways and when they got hancock regional hospital he was dead due to an overdose of drugs the emt's gave him. and the drive was about 15min to the hospital

Armed Eastsider

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Good for you. I would have asked to see his credentials lol. I show people mine when they didn't know or don't understand that you can in fact carry a gun in public just to help educate them, but wouldn't show someone trying to police my actions. If they ask for it then they know about it. If they aren't a cop it aint none of their business.

It aint the cops business either.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    the emt's here in hancock county are hit and miss, there was a guy that wrecked his bike on U.S. 52 and was fine walking around and having a smoke to calm down and the emt's showed up and insisted they take him to the hospital when all he wanted to do is go home and relax after the incident but went with them anyways and when they got hancock regional hospital he was dead due to an overdose of drugs the emt's gave him. and the drive was about 15min to the hospital

And now we are hating on EMTs..... a..w..e..s..o..m..e..

I assume you know this from second hand accounts you have heard? This guy could have died from 1000 different injuries, but surely it was because they (the EMTs) overdosed him on some “drug”.. which we prefer to call medications, since the last time I checked we aren’t handing out cocaine. And we would NEVER carry medications to administer to someone in the event of overdoses of certain medications.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    This cracked me up. He is still at the local fire department. Unfortunately, he was on the wrong end of a unanimous decision last weekend. As usual, though, he pocketed another Fight of the Night bonus.

I've never seen Ebersole before, but he looked pretty decent in that fight. Ebersole's chest hair arrow was classic. Lytle had been wanting to make a title run, so he might not be in a good mood right now.

Back on topic, what a joke. I can't believe the firefighter demanded to see your LTCH.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Not+Sure+if+serious.jpg

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

:hijack:OK, let's consider this. I responded once to a car collision, maybe 45mph or so. One of the people on the scene had some minimal pain to his chest wall and was up and walking around on our arrival. He hemmed and hawed about it and really didn't want to go to the hospital. I respect his rights to choose not to go, while at the same time understanding my own responsibilities. We finally convinced him to go, only after he disregarded my advice that we should backboard and collar him.

He had an aortic tear. For reference's sake, that injury has a scene mortality of 90%. Of the 10% who survive the injury on scene, half die either in or before surgery. I got REAMED by the doc for not collaring and boarding him until the doc heard the rest of the facts: Had I insisted, he wouldn't have come in at all. He looked fine on the scene, and *I* almost let him go without pressing the issue. I'm sure someone there thought I was just justifying my job by pressing him to go. Our transport time was maybe 15 minutes if we drove slowly (we didn't. ;))

The point? Just because someone looks fine on the outside doesn't mean they're fine on the inside. Some are already dead but their bodies don't know it yet. If your judgment of a scene is based in ignorance of all possibilities, my advice would be to withhold it. :twocents:

To the OP: Good on you for refusing and for reporting it. Neither FD nor EMS need the types that overstep their authority for no other reason than that they think they can.

Oh, and to Jack Ryan, whose signature presently reads: "--New Rule: I don't reply to any post with more than one "if" in it.--".... "IF IF" :):

Blessings,
    Bill

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana

Marc, as someone who used to work in a trauma center, nothing about this sounds accurate. Possible, I suppose, but it's extremely unlikely that it went down the way you describe, IMO.

Top Bottom