• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    so what? Is it costine me? No. Do I have anything on FB that isn't public knowledge/record? Nope.

so what's the problem? It's a useful TOOL for a lot of us to keep in contact with family/friends around the world. If you'd read what I already said, with the amount of friends/family around the country/world we would not have time to do anything but try to keep up with them. When you want to keep a strong relationship with your family that is thousands of miles apart, this is a very useful tool. It costs me nothing, it offers lots of services and it's good to go.

Why do insist on trampling on my rights to use it without being insulted?

Like I've said 15 bajillion times in here, FB is what YOU make it to be. For US it is a useful tool. Apparently it's the devil to you. Good for you, now let the rest of us enjoy the tool we are using to keep up with our family and friends. I'm sorry that you do not want to keep up with your family, that is an issue that YOU need to work out. WE do not.
    Why do you insist that FB is the only way to do this? Is it because you couldn't figure out how to use the pre-existing tools? They've only been there all along. Why do you insinuate that I don't do this just because I choose to utilize the other tools that allow me to without monetizing it? Why do you insist that your personal info, privacy and posting habits have no value?

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    So what? They market to the people using it. Does it cost me anything? No. Does it infringe on my ability to track my nephew who I've only gotten to see twice since he was born because they live in New Jersey? Nope. Does it keep me from chatting with a high school friend that moved to California? Nope.

Why do you INSIST on trying to ruin a useful tool for others?
    I'm not ruining anything, merely informing those that apparently aren't informed or choose to ignore the open and obvious. Check back in 3-4 years and again tell me how much it ISN'T costing you. ALL forms of marketing are costing us all via product pricing. Manufactures and distributors PAY for that marketing and in turn pass those costs on to you and me. I'm going over to FB now to intentionally post more misleading personal info.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    because they don't have value. what I post on the interwebs is truly worthless. If someone can find value in that, good for them.

EVERYTHING costs to some degree. Marketing will always raise the price. They are currently using social media. Before that was SPAM in your email. Before that junkmail. That is a uilt in cost that is never going away. They are merely using the newest form and to insinuate otherwise is ludicrous.

I've never said FB was the ONLY way. I have said, multiple times, that usig the "conventional methods" would take much more time and not offer as many benefits as FB does. It's the best way I have AT THIS MOMENT to watch my only nephew grow up in front of me. I've never said it was the only way, merely the best way for US at this time.

We get it, you hate/loathe/despise FB and anyone that uses it. Good for you. Now let the rest of us enjoy it without the insults to our intelligence.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    how is facebook allowing you to do anything you couldn't already do long before facebook? What benefit do you receive from making your data completely public as opposed to the other methods of communicating over large distances?

One word, convenience. Trade offs are made every day. Am I willing to give up a certain degree of privacy in exchange for it? Yup. Am I in control of the data and how much of it that I am willing to share? Yup.

You are obviously not. Good for you, to each his own.

I am far more intrigued by your agrarian utopia. How agrarian do we need to get? Can we keep our GPS in our tractors? Can we even keep our tractors? Should this progress be compelled or will happen naturally? As someone who grew up on a farm, I can tell you that I have no burning desire to give up the current quality of life that I enjoy, due in large part to technology, and return to my Grandpa's days of hand milking cows 2x a day and walking behind a mule pulling a plow. This backward progress was tried once in recent memory, ask the people of Cambodia how it worked out for them.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    They are working on combining youtube twitter and facebook. Kinda streamlining all three into one. They're gonna call it youtwitface!
    Nice, but already got it back on page 6....

And you continue to completely miss my point. I've said it no less than 3 times. FB is not needed for these contacts you claim to use it for. Email accomplishes the same goal and has for over 25 years now. The difference being that email still can't be seen by just ANYONE on earth that wants to check in on you. I know all the excuses for using facebook, myspace, myyearbook, etc...I've used the same excuses. Just don't fool yourself into thinking they are anything more than excuses and rationalizations. Oh, I see plenty of good, but it doesn't often come from tech or "progress". It may be telling of the fact that I would prefer for society to "progress" to an agrarian state, but aside from that, no.
    http://youtu.be/Bmk9CjEha8A

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    To the facebookers. You must not have friends or relatives like my s-i-l who's made it her life's mission to have her nose in everybody elses business. My wife and I don't have a facebook account and never will. We couldn't have one without my s-i-l being on it or WWIII would break out. I shudder to think of the stuff she puts on hers about my wife, daughter, and I.

If whatever news you want to share isn't important enough for you to pick up the phone and call me or send me an email, you'd be safe in the assumption that I don't give a rats ass about it. I'm also safe in the assumption that 99.999999999999999999999999999% of the world doesn't give a rats ass about my day to day life.

Solitaire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Indy
    I see it as slanderous due to the fact that I HATE target stores and just about everything about them and I have never clicked on any link even remotely associated with them.

If whatever news you want to share isn't important enough for you to pick up the phone and call me or send me an email, you'd be safe in the assumption that I don't give a rats ass about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i28z6LSI-2M

See anybody you know in that little video clip? :):

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    To the facebookers. You must not have friends or relatives like my s-i-l who's made it her life's mission to have her nose in everybody elses business. My wife and I don't have a facebook account and never will. We couldn't have one without my s-i-l being on it or WWIII would break out. I shudder to think of the stuff she puts on hers about my wife, daughter, and I.

If whatever news you want to share isn't important enough for you to pick up the phone and call me or send me an email, you'd be safe in the assumption that I don't give a rats ass about it. I'm also safe in the assumption that 99.999999999999999999999999999% of the world doesn't give a rats ass about my day to day life.

Hey, I give a rats ass.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    some problems are not resolvable...screw facebook..hate it...deleted my account and wanted to make sure it was deleted...logged back in and they saved all my info...hate them..wish i never opened an account there

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    And you continue to completely miss my point. I've said it no less than 3 times. FB is not needed for these contacts you claim to use it for. Email accomplishes the same goal and has for over 25 years now. The difference being that email still can't be seen by just ANYONE on earth that wants to check in on you. I know all the excuses for using facebook, myspace, myyearbook, etc...I've used the same excuses. Just don't fool yourself into thinking they are anything more than excuses and rationalizations. Oh, I see plenty of good, but it doesn't often come from tech or "progress". It may be telling of the fact that I would prefer for society to "progress" to an agrarian state, but aside from that, no.

No, it is you who are missing the point. I don't know him personally, but his posts here on INGO seem to indicate a level of intelligence sufficient to understand that FB is not the ONLY means of communication. He doesn't need your megalomania tripe to figure that out. But apparently you need help understanding that FB happens to be HIS choice for communication.

There's no excuses or rationalization involved. It's simply a matter of weighing the risks, benefits, and opportunity costs. Kinda like buying a car. I'll never buy anything listed as a passenger car again (with the exception of another fox body), but I don't need to berate people who choose to do so even though I know that no amount of safety features are going to matter when my several-ton truck barrels into them at 50+ mph. It destroyed a Cadillac (damn near bent it in half). I hate to think of what it would do to a Focus, or worse those stupid Fiats and Smartcars. Well, the good news is the family will get to save money on the casket. But you don't see me criticizing all the INGOers who drive small cars. Why? Because it's their choice. Honestly, you'd better never argue personal choice in the future. This is going to come back to haunt you.

It isn't even about the Gov. watching, it is about privacy. I also never said that I wouldn't or don't use FB, you're making things up now. Now, why don't you answer my questions. Primarily, how is facebook allowing you to do anything you couldn't already do long before facebook? What benefit do you receive from making your data completely public as opposed to the other methods of communicating over large distances? In what way is the government storing your data for future use similar to facebook selling it for use NOW? Bear in mind there are channels that must be gone through to get the gov. stored data and even a court of law must follow them while your FB data is shared openly with everyone in the world regardless of their intent.

There isn't a single bit of info on FB about me that isn't readily available some other place. I've shared more of it on INGO than I have on FB. If it gets to the point that information from FB is being used to round us up, there's enough to convict me elsewhere that FB will just add to the thickness of the file. It ain't gonna make or break their case.

For that matter, there wasn't a single bit of data that I made available except my last name and email address that was accurate. I'll bet none of you know I grew up in England, attend university there, and now work for the Justice Department. (Yep, that what my profile says). So guess who just made *my* list for investigation. *Note to self: throttlejockey is a clear and present danger to America, a technophobe who wants to end American society's reliance on it, and a bit jerk-ish in his posts. I'm sooo gonna get a big promotion for this stuff.*

Again, there are other methods that have been around as long as the internet has that allow you to do all of these things in real time without monetizing it. Additionally, yes it IS all public all the time, don't you keep up with the world around you? They even have press releases announcing these changes. Seriously, read the terms of use agreement, print it out, then return 5 days later and read it again and print this new version out, then repeat the process. I know..it takes to much time to inform yourself of what you are agreeing to....THEY ARE COUNTING ON THAT, that's why it is umphteen pages long.

:blahblah:

Is there a reason you continue this effort to tell people they're stupid for not doing it your way?

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    oh-snap.jpg

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    No, it is you who are missing the point. I don't know him personally, but his posts here on INGO seem to indicate a level of intelligence sufficient to understand that FB is not the ONLY means of communication. He doesn't need your megalomania tripe to figure that out. But apparently you need help understanding that FB happens to be HIS choice for communication.

There's no excuses or rationalization involved. It's simply a matter of weighing the risks, benefits, and opportunity costs. Kinda like buying a car. I'll never buy anything listed as a passenger car again (with the exception of another fox body), but I don't need to berate people who choose to do so even though I know that no amount of safety features are going to matter when my several-ton truck barrels into them at 50+ mph. It destroyed a Cadillac (damn near bent it in half). I hate to think of what it would do to a Focus, or worse those stupid Fiats and Smartcars. Well, the good news is the family will get to save money on the casket. But you don't see me criticizing all the INGOers who drive small cars. Why? Because it's their choice. Honestly, you'd better never argue personal choice in the future. This is going to come back to haunt you.
    When weighing the risks, benefits, and opp costs, one must first accept ALL the data and be aware of ALL the risks, benefits and cost involved. I have also not "berated" anyone for choosing FB, but merely pointed out several facts that people seem to be in denial about or just flat out refuse to consider.

There isn't a single bit of info on FB about me that isn't readily available some other place. I've shared more of it on INGO than I have on FB. If it gets to the point that information from FB is being used to round us up, there's enough to convict me elsewhere that FB will just add to the thickness of the file. It ain't gonna make or break their case.

For that matter, there wasn't a single bit of data that I made available except my last name and email address that was accurate. I'll bet none of you know I grew up in England, attend university there, and now work for the Justice Department. (Yep, that what my profile says). So guess who just made *my* list for investigation. *Note to self: throttlejockey is a clear and present danger to America, a technophobe who wants to end American society's reliance on it, and a bit jerk-ish in his posts. I'm sooo gonna get a big promotion for this stuff.*

:blahblah:

Is there a reason you continue this effort to tell people they're stupid for not doing it your way?
    Actually, I didn't tell anyone they were "stupid". I see someone refusing to recognize simple facts and informed them only to be lied to. There is not a feed on FB that doesn't include advertisements, FACT. There is more being shared than just what you post or what you click on, habits are being recorded also, things like how often you use it, what times of day, what pages you visit and how often and what times of day, etc....remember the cash for clunkers website? Remember how going to the page was equated to allowing a government agency full access to all data in your computer past present and future? Remember how everybody disliked that? Now go read the TOU agreement on FB and tell me how it is different.
    I also did not "berate" anyone, merely informed them of the facts that they seem to either be in denial of or just flat out unwilling to consider. When weighing risk, benefit and opp, one must first have all the info and accept it.

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Actually, I didn't tell anyone they were "stupid". I see someone refusing to recognize simple facts and informed them only to be lied to. There is not a feed on FB that doesn't include advertisements, FACT. There is more being shared than just what you post or what you click on, habits are being recorded also, things like how often you use it, what times of day, what pages you visit and how often and what times of day, etc....remember the cash for clunkers website? Remember how going to the page was equated to allowing a government agency full access to all data in your computer past present and future? Remember how everybody disliked that? Now go read the TOU agreement on FB and tell me how it is different.
    I also did not "berate" anyone, merely informed them of the facts that they seem to either be in denial of or just flat out unwilling to consider. When weighing risk, benefit and opp, one must first have all the info and accept it.
    Who's rationalizing now?

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I avoid Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, and most other forms of "Self Sacrifice" of my personal privacy. This allows me the ability to control to some degree my exposure to painful confrontations with family, friends and unknowns.

My 3 simple rules when dealing with my family and some friends... some of which are lost to progressive ideals.

Rule One:
    Thou shalt not discuss politics with family and friends.
    If your a progressive lib... stay away from me.
    "No... I don't think you have a right to half of what I've earned because your too stupid and lazy to work."

I actually said this to a family member who attempted to appeal to my "sensitivities" when they asked me for some money... 2 or 3 days after buying a 3k entertainment system and bragging about it (while they are unemployed)... why... so they could purchase a generator due to lost power.:rolleyes:

Rule Two:
    Thou shalt not discuss religion with family and friends.
    If your a agnostic, atheist or some toy religion... good luck... and stay away from me.
    If your of the opinion that your better than me because your of a particular denomination... stay away from me.

Lightening scares me... :bowdown:

Rule Three:
    Thou shalt not discuss sexual orientation with family and friends.
    If your a fruit.... well... that's your business and I don't really care. Don't hit on me and I won't punch you.

Why....... Cause I'm a man... And I like's female's and that's never going to change!:D

Top Bottom