• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

tem375

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    Well you are the one who moved to INDY and abandoned the scenic beauty and peaceful serenity of da region :bash:

BTW, have you tried any of the DITKA cigars yet? The maduro wrapped "Legend" would be right up you alley.

I have been wanting to try one, but I haven't yet. I am looking forward to the next time I am home grabbing one(or ten)...

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I have been wanting to try one, but I haven't yet. I am looking forward to the next time I am home grabbing one(or ten)...

Better grab them quickly they are a limited edition cigar.

1000 boxes of each were made, only 10 cigars per box. So in the grand scheme of things they are a fairly rare breed. I've managed to secure a modest back up supply a couple extra boxes of the Maduro wrapped DITKA LEGEND/HALL OF FAMER in the small Robusto (5"x50) size but everything else I have is on display.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    thats awesome allowing people to feel free to bring in firearms and have a good cigar, lol.

Well this sign is posted on the cigar lounge wall :rockwoot:

image_zps9442c0e8.jpg

And here are some photos from last month's get together :yesway:
    image_zpsc266e267.jpg

image_zps8eca04ec.jpg

image_zpsc7852577.jpg

image_zps5c7c83f9.jpg

neel2008

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    Hmm might have to make the trip, might have to try that ortsac monster just for the hell of it. Have to remember to bring a punch because I don't think my cutters are going to handle a 66 ring gauge very well. LOL trying to talk a few buddies into going to split up the cost of fuel....(Im from the Huntington area)

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    Doh, just woke up. Doesn't look good today.

I'll probably be stopping in tomorrow for a cigar or two.

Also requested a personal day for the 21st, hopefully I'll make the event.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    BUMPING WITH A STORY . . . while you good NWI folks were at Blythe's for the Valentines Day Shoot I was enjoying a lovely dinner with my spouse of nearly 28 years. My wife loves the opera.

So for Valentine's Day I gave her a gift. Tickets to the Opera. 4 of them. Last night was the Opera. Packed up the wife, the child and the sister in law and headed off to the big city of Chicago.

Drive was pretty uneventful. My lovely wife had curlers in her hair and a massively sore back that she wrenched while at Fencing practice on Friday. My daughter was 'texting' her friends in the back seat. My sister in law knew better than to speak. And I took a wrong turn, as if on autopilot, and headed for the high school instead of following the highway up to the city. Oh, and car's fuel gauge was on EMPTY.

Overcoming the hurdles we soldiered on, up the rural Bishop Ford freeway to the Dan Ryan Expressway and ultimately finding ourselves in front of the beautiful Lyric Opera building. During the process the curlers were removed but there was no hair brush in the car, nor was there a hair band, or other desired accutraments. Still, her hair looked beautiful, she was unconvinced, this dichotomy is a mystery of which guys will never understand. Women will fret, but guys will gaze in wonderment. I drop the ladies off at the door, 30 minutes to spare, and head 1/4 block south to the parking garage. 29 minutes to park the car and find my seat . . . 28 minutes later I am breathing hard, sweating, but made it to my seat. The orchestra starts playing. It is now 5:30pm.

"Der Meistersinger von Nurenburg" is the only COMEDY opera written by Wagner, and its also the LONGEST opera that is performed by any opera house in the world. Oh, and its sung in German. 3 acts, 2 intermissions. 5 hours, 29 minutes long.

The Opera was actually pretty darn good. Entertaining, and moved along pretty well to keep your attention. It is now 7:00pm. I rather enjoyed the first act, and intermission included a box lunch ($15) that included a tasty, albeit petite, roast beef sammich, bag of chips and a cookie. 30 minutes to eat your snack while sitting on the steps, the floor or while standing. I chose to sit on the landing leading to the first balcony. Scattered around us are women in full length fur coats, men in suits or even tuxedoes, all sitting on the floor eating a tiny $15 sammich out of a paperboard box, discussing the wonderment of the 3, yes I said 3, harpists playing in unison. 7:30 and the lights flash, the gong sounds, time to re-enter the theatre.

Scene two was pretty funny, again moved along pretty well, and was a pleasure to watch. It ended almost 9pm. 30 minutes for another intermission. Good thing because the line to use the facilities was very very very long. Nearly 9:30 and a repeat of the gong and the flashing lights, back to our seats. Now by this time we have sat through the equivalent of 2 feature length movies at the drive thru, with intermission, but we did so while sitting in tiny theatre seats. My body is starting to react in a negative fashion to being shoehorned into the seat and required to sit motionless.

Scene three was performed in 2 acts. Act one was not quite as upbeat, nor as humorous, as the prior scenes. Curtain came down and by this time its 10:?? pm and a few people left. I can tell you that at this point I could no longer sit still. My legs were tingling in pain, they needed to be moved, I was fidgiting in my seat like a 5 year old that had to go pee! Thankfully scene 2 of act 3 was visually stimulating, quick moving and humorous so it picked things back up. 11:00pm and it was over. We bolted from our seats. Normally we stay for the curtain calls. Not this time. Push that old biddy out of the way and head for the car, these seat can constrain us no more! Now the long dark drive back to Indiana.

I learned something from watching a 5:29 minute opera. If someone suggests it, kill them. On the spot, without hesitation. Bury them deep. Feel no remorse. As I did this to myself I have nobody to blame. I should have jumped on my own grenade, fallen on my own sword, put the bullet to my own head.

5 1/2 hours of Opera is too much. Its like that 5rd scoop of Ice Cream in your sundae, or that quadruple helping of baked beans. It doesn't even sound like a good idea. It is not. No matter how enjoyable the show, 5 1/2 hours is simply too long.

All that said, "Der Meistersinger von Nuremberg" is a wonderful performance. The Lyric Opera's scenes and singers were nothing short of excellent, the orchestra was flawless. But 5 1/2 hours, seriously? Someone is an idiot for thinking that is a good idea :n00b:

Oh, now that you know my story, don't forget to come to the OPEN CARRY CIGAR NIGHT this Thursday :ingo:

Picture6-1.png

Last edited:

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    Day before bump... A little bit more then 24 hrs to go. :rockwoot:

I even took a personal day to make it.

Good cigars, great music and awesome people... What else could you ask for?

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    I might gimp it on out for this one. Wifey has class, but I think I can swing it. My long-term standing ability is limited, but one does what one can.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom