• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • keeph8n

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Nice, what manufacture is your 2011? Trying to see what options are out there for when I eventually go buy one.

I have a prodigy. Bought it to see what the hype was for a 2011 vs 1911s. Now I’m hooked harder than a fish. Never been a big polymer guy to begin with, but man the 2011 platform is a dream.

JayCo

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2024
    Marion County
    I would have a very hard time leaving my MK25 behind if I was heading out the door for the final time.
    It has been a solid performer with no problems.
    Maybe a bit heavy, but it feels good in the hand.
    Nothing wrong with big and heavy, just accurate and more durable. Plus if the bullets ever run out, tie it to a stick and use it as a club. But the MK25 is a super nice pistol, don't blame you for wanting to take that.

JayCo

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2024
    Marion County
    I have a prodigy. Bought it to see what the hype was for a 2011 vs 1911s. Now I’m hooked harder than a fish. Never been a big polymer guy to begin with, but man the 2011 platform is a dream.
    I feel like I don't know many people who go with the prodigy, How many rounds you have through it?

Everyone I know loves the 2011 platform, takes the familiar platform of the 1911 and gives it the double stack capacity. I also know people love them as competition guns because they're a little heavier and have less recoil. I've heard the 2011 platform is the perfect mix of old and new.

keeph8n

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    I feel like I don't know many people who go with the prodigy, How many rounds you have through it?

Everyone I know loves the 2011 platform, takes the familiar platform of the 1911 and gives it the double stack capacity. I also know people love them as competition guns because they're a little heavier and have less recoil. I've heard the 2011 platform is the perfect mix of old and new.

I have probably a bit over 1000 rounds through it. 250 before I upgraded the internals with EGW parts and an Atlas trigger.

Headed back to Allen soon for a new extractor, some port work, some misc cleanup, and cerakote.

IN New Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2017
    Terre Haute
    Well, I'm too old and to out-of-shape now to go to war, so this really IS hypothetical!
    I would really prefer a caliber larger than 9mm, but I'm going to go with that anyway, believing in the availability of ammo in the combat zone. Given that, I'd pick either a Glock 17/19, or a BHP - both proven designs.

My heart says 1911 in .45ACP, but my head overrules that.

JayCo

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2024
    Marion County
    Well, I'm too old and to out-of-shape now to go to war, so this really IS hypothetical!
    I would really prefer a caliber larger than 9mm, but I'm going to go with that anyway, believing in the availability of ammo in the combat zone. Given that, I'd pick either a Glock 17/19, or a BHP - both proven designs.

My heart says 1911 in .45ACP, but my head overrules that.
    A good old 1911 will always be the one TRUE answer. But logically there are better options

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks, to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    A good old 1911 will always be the one TRUE answer. But logically there are better options
    Your thread, please explain your logic. ???……..(Your, You’re)

Are you going to war without a rifle? Lack of ammo? Not enough magazine capacity? What circumstances would prevent you from needing a sidearm for more than getting to your rifle?

War isn’t television, war is ****, in my day only officers and some NCO’s had sidearms.

But, this is a different day.

JayCo

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2024
    Marion County
    Your thread, please explain your logic. ???……..(Your, You’re)

Are you going to war without a rifle? Lack of ammo? Not enough magazine capacity? What circumstances would prevent you from needing a sidearm for more than getting to your rifle?

War isn’t television, war is ****, in my day only officers and some NCO’s had sidearms.

But, this is a different day.
    Really just looking for what handgun you'd rely on if you needed to. Something reliable, easy to service in the field, probably 9mm because of availability. If you ever did find yourself separated from your rifle, what would you use? Really I was looking for some full-sized handgun that I can run drills with. If I can build my own kit, why not add a pistol?

Also I figured this thread could serve as a good one for people to come back to when they're looking for pistol recommendations.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Mij

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Really just looking for what handgun you'd rely on if you needed to. Something reliable, easy to service in the field, probably 9mm because of availability. If you ever did find yourself separated from your rifle, what would you use? Really I was looking for some full-sized handgun that I can run drills with. If I can build my own kit, why not add a pistol?

Also I figured this thread could serve as a good one for people to come back to when they're looking for pistol recommendations.
    I’ve said it before, I’ll say it one last time. With the caveat I’m old.

1722767436724.jpeg

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans

Have you looked at my avatar?
    .45, concealed knife “inside“ belt?

Last edited:

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    All steel "old school" picks: CZ 97B in .45 ACP; EAA Witness (CZ 75 copy) 9x19. Both proven to be both accurate and 100% reliable in my use.
    Drastic Plastic: Springfield XD45 Mod. 2 5" barrel; CZ P10F 9x19.
    Alternatives: Dan Wesson 15-2 .357, Smith & Wesson 625-4 .45ACP.

chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    Indy West Side
    Some variant of one of these, in a Safariland ALS holster.

View attachment 367512

9mm of course, because that's the most common and plentiful pistol/PCC ammo and will be everywhere.

I do also have an M&P 45, though, which fits the same ALS holsters and will be able to utilize whatever ammo is left after the "muh two world wars" types bite the dust after two weeks of no blood pressure/diabetes meds. Bonus: I can trade their 7 shot antiques for actual useful equipment to people who don't know any better. Or keep a couple around in case I need to drive a nail and can't find my hammer.

I have plenty of mags for either platform and don't worry about scrounging for them. If I have to resort to carrying a Glock, society has collapsed to the point that my depression would make me combat ineffective anyway.

:)
    That P320 is sexy! I like that grip module.

Top Bottom