Family member - got tired of being prepared!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mydoghasfleas

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Undisclosed
    I have heard when people hit the lottery friends and family come out of the woodwork. This may be something that would make that pale by example.

Not only will your friends and family be coming for a handout, with a fresh new look at the (crumbling) world around them, you will likely have the less desireable element of society coming for you too (at a later date as they will outlive/ live off of the noble/good people that didnt prepare). I could see the potential for needing help defending against those that would be coming ala Atila the Hun style. (pass out weapons are a must)
    Lots of scenerios which makes me say never say never. But in the right one, I believe I could go either way, help or not, me and my family are top priority :twocents:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Prepping is a state of mind. You have to have a mind to be in a state of anything no knock on the BIL. I have to poke my daughters fiance along to keep him involved. He likes the range time and training but not big on spending for preps. Still young.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    It's an unfortunate deal for sure, only you know what you will need to do if and when that time comes. We can all be hard a$$e$ today, but what about when we are actually in that situation? I can tell you that we have family who say they will be coming over to our place and we have taken the steps to explain why it is so important for them to prep and learn as many useful skills, because we will not have boat anchors around just eating our food that was ment for our kids. Of course we have secretly included them into our preps knowing that it would be next to impossible to turn them and their children away, and the way I look at it is at that point they owe us everything lol. We know we will not be able to survive alone but lets face it, at first it is going to be everyone for themselves before civilization can even start to rebuild. I will help anyone that I feel I can trust and turn away anyone I feel I can not, but that is no different than how I am today.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    It is now and always will be about the kids. They are and will be my weakness.
    Now their parents, that's another issue.

I have a situation in which this will be a major problem. One nephew, two nieces, and a sister who would sell me out the first time she encountered either a reward or a piece of d**k she liked.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Take in the kids, send here for supply's.....move.
    I have a few on both sides of the family but Darwin is taking care of some along the way.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Depends...
    Does the BIL have any skills that are useful?!
    Other than being a Sandbag of course...

If not then you are not welcome, Family or Not. Keeping walking with your hand out...
    I disagree, the BIL has short term value as fresh protein. You keep him on a lean diet, detox his system for maybe a month, then one day you go hunting.

Two go out, only one comes back, fresh meat on the smoker, feed the brains to the hogs or dogs. This extends your preps and he was going to die anyway. It might be a little creepy to see the dogs playing with the hip and leg bones in the yard but that is an individual choice. I think I would be fine with it and the bone pile sends a message to outside observers.

ghunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    nap-town
    When it comes to prepping, I almost never discuss it anymore except with like minded people (like INGO!). The way I see it, you either get it, or you don't.

I have a few more friends at work who are getting into it, and a couple of weekends ago, we had a small bug-out-bag party. This consisted of show n tell, exchanging of small items like camp soap and gloves, and beer :D.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I disagree, the BIL has short term value as fresh protein. You keep him on a lean diet, detox his system for maybe a month, then one day you go hunting.

You can skip the detox, give him to the hogs, and relieve any bacon shortage you may be experiencing! :):

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Two go out, only one comes back, fresh meat on the smoker, feed the brains to the hogs or dogs. This extends your preps and he was going to die anyway. It might be a little creepy to see the dogs playing with the hip and leg bones in the yard but that is an individual choice. I think I would be fine with it and the bone pile sends a message to outside observers.
    :):

Top Bottom