• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sure, we all want America to be great. Just not everyone buys into Trump's distorted view of greatness. Keep in mind, he thinks himself to be "great." No way I want to be "great" like him.

[FONT=&quot]"The depth of this commitment [to personal liberty and opportunity] may be summarily dismissed as the unfounded optimism of the average American — “I may not be Donald Trump now, but just you wait; if I don’t make it, my children will.”

Barack Obama[/FONT]

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I remember Trump dickishly making a mockery of many things that America was already "great" at as part of his self-proclaimed MAGA campaign.

Sure, we all want America to be great. Just not everyone buys into Trump's distorted view of greatness. Keep in mind, he thinks himself to be "great." No way I want to be "great" like him.

I had a negative view of MAGA hats (including those worn by family and friends) before this dustup.

The left wants to contort that negativity into something COMPLETELY different, along racial lines. I'll defend against the efforts to do that, but I don't think it objectively reasonable to say that MAGA hats were universally positive even before this.

My view on the MAGA hat has evolved.

At first- typical campaign schtick. No problem. I probably would have worn one at some point if someone gave me one...but truthfully, I seldom wear hats and if I do it is: 1) from Tractor Supply, 2) features Allis Chalmers tractors, or 3) NRA.

I don't regret my vote for Trump.

As time has worn on, the MAGA hat has seemed to me (this is just me, I can't read minds) to be a symbol of love or Trump first and foremost. Approval of everything he does. I'm not on board with that. I don't approve of everything he says and does. I have seen no real evidence of overt racism with him, but he he can be crass, boorish, crude and generally off putting. He could forcefully advocate for his policies, ones I frequently support (though he really needs to end the shutdown) and tweak his political enemies without being a prick. he doesn't have it in him. This is Donald Trump. I know, his most ardent supports like these characteristics that I disdain. i get it. I wish I didn't, but I do. He could be the better man. Again, he doesn't have it in him.

In 2020, I imagine I'll vote for him again rather than one of the leftists that are running against him. In fact, if that is the choice, I certainly will. Doesn't mean I endorse who he is, though.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    2e77c74c-0a5f-4dd6-aa56-c67d6370523c_1.ef5b71a57a124617e095aae7fab39ca1.jpeg

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    MAGA hats, that started as campaign kitsch, have become Trumpist virtue signaling.

Good/bad/indifferent, that's what they are.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    No way I want to be "great" like him.
    Married two super models and an actress. Multi-billionaire. Star of Fame in Hollywood. Was ranked second most powerful person in the world, after Putin, and that was BEFORE he was President (and while Obama was still in office - oops). Current Leader of the Free World. Lives rent-free in the heads of millions.

Yeah, he can be a bit of an ass. Not a big fan of the affairs and divorces. Don't like his position on some things. But, dang if that doesn't check off a few more "life goals" than most of us can ever hope for. If we could get him to have a cheeseburger with Churchmouse, there just wouldn't be anything left for him.

Doesn't drink, doesn't smoke, claims to have never done any drugs. Drinks way too much diet coke.

Sucks to be him.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Joy Behar said on The View that the reason all the news media jumps the gun on these types of videos is because the media is desperate to get Trump out of office. No one disagreed with her. Remember when the media at least pretended to be unbiased?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Married two super models and an actress. Multi-billionaire. Star of Fame in Hollywood. Was ranked second most powerful person in the world, after Putin, and that was BEFORE he was President (and while Obama was still in office - oops). Current Leader of the Free World. Lives rent-free in the heads of millions.

Yeah, he can be a bit of an ass. Not a big fan of the affairs and divorces. Don't like his position on some things. But, dang if that doesn't check off a few more "life goals" than most of us can ever hope for. If we could get him to have a cheeseburger with Churchmouse, there just wouldn't be anything left for him.

Doesn't drink, doesn't smoke, claims to have never done any drugs. Drinks way too much diet coke.

Sucks to be him.

One thing that makes America great is the freedom to idolize whatever qualities we want.

Trump's failings were detailed at great length during the campaign, yet he won.

So, I will readily concede that more Americans, and a high percentage of INGOers, idolize him and his qualities. Which they have every right to do.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    My view on the MAGA hat has evolved.

At first- typical campaign schtick. No problem. I probably would have worn one at some point if someone gave me one...but truthfully, I seldom wear hats and if I do it is: 1) from Tractor Supply, 2) features Allis Chalmers tractors, or 3) NRA.

I don't regret my vote for Trump.

As time has worn on, the MAGA hat has seemed to me (this is just me, I can't read minds) to be a symbol of love or Trump first and foremost. Approval of everything he does. I'm not on board with that. I don't approve of everything he says and does. I have seen no real evidence of overt racism with him, but he he can be crass, boorish, crude and generally off putting. He could forcefully advocate for his policies, ones I frequently support (though he really needs to end the shutdown) and tweak his political enemies without being a prick. he doesn't have it in him. This is Donald Trump. I know, his most ardent supports like these characteristics that I disdain. i get it. I wish I didn't, but I do. He could be the better man. Again, he doesn't have it in him.

In 2020, I imagine I'll vote for him again rather than one of the leftists that are running against him. In fact, if that is the choice, I certainly will. Doesn't mean I endorse who he is, though.

Alas, in post Obama America, being the better man is a low percentage move. I suspect that people who opine that he should do it despite that would change their tune if they had to stand in his shoes for ten minutes

Hough, do you truly think the media and the left would be any less against him and what he stands for if he were more like James Woods ... or Woody Allen, for that matter

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Alas, in post Obama America, being the better man is a low percentage move. I suspect that people who opine that he should do it despite that would change their tune if they had to stand in his shoes for ten minutes

Hough, do you truly think the media and the left would be any less against him and what he stands for if he were more like James Woods ... or Woody Allen, for that matter

The media isn't a monolithic far-left block.

There's plenty in the media that actually would be much more neutral toward him if he wasn't boorish.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    One thing that makes America great is the freedom to idolize whatever qualities we want.

So, I will readily concede that more Americans, and a high percentage of INGOers, idolize him and his qualities. Which they have every right to do.

By choosing words such as idolize you attempt to shade the opinion of Trump. That you meet with so little success might indicate you mostly do it to please yourself, like some other forms of self-flagellation

I believe Media Bias-Fact Check would classify you as Left Bias

LEFT BIAS

These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011

Sucks to be him.

He's been hugely successful in 4 different professions: real estate, author (best selling business book), reality TV and now President. I don't know anyone else who can claim that.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey

This is wrong, IMO. More didn't idolize him. More couldn't fathom the alternative, considering the alternative to be whatever the opposite of idolize is. Big difference. Most people recognize a cad, and don't idolize that. And most people recognize what the Clintons were, and are, and I won't put that into words in a public place.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Sucks to be him.

Super models? Uhhhh no... and I guess even the people in Sharknado, you technically have to call actors, so I'll let the actress one go.

But adding... Trust fund baby, probable draft dodger, serial philanderer, serial liar, knows as much as modern military minds, the best deal maker ever, employee stiffer, student stiffer, graduated "first" in Wharton, "Christian."

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

Sucks to be him.

:thumbsup: :+1:

Happily married to a nice lady. Have a portfolio of nothing. Was for years considered one of the best carpenters in Pinehurst, NC and again in NWI. Least powerful man in the world. Live rent free in a few INGO heads.

Don't drink, don't smoke and and don't do drugs, but can not say I never did.

Yeah most of us are sometimes a bit of an ass.

I am very happy with my lot in life and do not envy him or anyone else. I also do not hate him or anyone else.

That is not to say I do not occasionally get frustrated with implacable people.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

It seems that if you are not anti-Trump the TDS/neverTrumpersmake that generalization.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...Hough, do you truly think the media and the left would be any less against him and what he stands for if he were more like James Woods ... or Woody Allen, for that matter

To me, being the better man is about being the batter man, not quieting his critics.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    It seems that if you are not anti-Trump the TDS/neverTrumpersmake that generalization.
    Pretty much. “If you’re not with us you’re against us” mentality at its finest.

Dont really like the man. Don’t agree with many of his policies. Don’t hate him. So therefore I idolize him. Pretty ****ed up in my mind just how high we as a society have jumped that shark.

Top Bottom