• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Being a LEO myself, given the specifics of this situation where I was investigating a misdemeanor, possibly a felony depending on how badly hurt the victim was in the initial battery, disarming the OP and searching him is proper procedure in this case. Kudos to the officers for ruling out the OP as a suspect and treating him with respect.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Tecnically it was his car that was disarmed and it was his decision to put his hands on his head.............:n00b:

Well technically I said that the OP might not personally have a problem voluntarily prostrating himself & surrendering his 4th amendment protections any time an authority approaches him, even though he had done nothing wrong.

But I personally would had been annoyed/irritated if I had been stopped, detained & searched because of the color of my vehicle.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I just wonder if they had a reason to believe his gun was stolen, I think running a guns serial# would require a reason to believe it was stolen:dunno:

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    Well as long as YOU are ok with being pulled over, having to keep your hands on top of your head, being disarmed, having your body crevices searched & everything taken out of your pockets, while being detained simply because your vehicle "matches the description" of a couple million other vehicles on the road.

Personally I would have been rather irritated & annoyed with being treated like a criminal because I drove a "blue sedan" or "red truck".

Like I said before I understand why they did what they did, and I would rather let them do the job that we all want them to do when we need them. But if you have a problem with them doing their job and trying to protect me, you and everyone else out there that is on you. It is much easier and safer for me to cooperate with them then it is to argue with them. I was with them for less than 10 mins start to finish.

THANK YOU ALL LEO'S FOR DOING WHAT YOU DO FOR US AVERAGE CITIZENS!!!!!!!!!

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    No pistol whipping, head stomping, Tasing...what a waste of a thread! Come on IMPD..going a little soft aren't we? { Purple)

Last edited:

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    Even with the recent officer shooting, they had no reason to go beyond and ID check and a registration check on the vehicle. I don't even have a problem with the multiple back ups on this one. The Op would have had no signs of having struck anyone recently. Absolutely no reason for running a serial # check on his weapon! That gentlemen is fishing! So is empting his pockets! Both were done looking for any reason for a citation or arrest simply because he was already stopped.this one also gets a big :noway:!

Last edited:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    The disturbance actuall happed around the quiet neighborhood of 30th and arlington where nothing ever happens :rolleyes: if I understood right.

This is the first time in my life I've ever heard of 30th & Arlington being called a "quiet" neighborhood, and I've delivered beer area that area for over 24 years.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Next came the question I was waiting for. Do you have any weapons in the vehicle? I informed him that I did have a revolver sitting next to my right thigh between the seats. He then asked me to keep my hands up, step out of the truck, then put my hands on the bed of the truck for his and the other officers safety. I can understand this. I would have been asking why I was being stopped though. I did what he asked of me and he secured the gun This I don't understand. Maybe an LEO can clear this up. He was already separated from his firearm. Why did they even need to touch it? Let alone run a search on it? and then gave me a thorough pat down, and placed everything from my pockets and the firearm on the hood of my truck. I can't agree with this either. Seems the pat down was excessive.

They then asked me for my license and registration which I gave them. One of the officers stood watch over me while one ran my license and registration, and the other ran the serial number on my gun This I believe would violate the 4th. Everything came back clean (of course). When the other officers came back to my truck the one of them that had my gun opened the passenger door and placed the gun under the pasenger seat and asked me to leave it there until after I was out of their sight So even after determining that you were not the criminal they were looking for they decided to treat you like one. The other officer then returned all the stuff from my pockets and whatnot.

They then informed me that they were on a call about a rolling disturbance that had happened a few miles away and that my truck matched the description of the suspect vehicle. I also had a white car in front of me at the light which was also the color of the second vehicle in the disturbance. If I understood right the man in the truck pulled his wife from her car and beat her at a stop light.

All in all the officers were as polite and cordial as could be expected in the given situation. I have no problems or complaints at all about the way they handled things. As they were telling me that I was free to go the first officer came up to me and said "Thank you for doing everything right".

Just a quick question for LEO. After they took my pistol, they never did ask me if I have a LTCH, which struck me as a little odd. My question is when you run a drivers license does it show that I have my LTCH or did they just assume?
    I understand that you are happy with the way things went. I would have been quite upset with the way things went.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Wait...you usually have a problem with multiple units on a traffic stop? :n00b:

You can never be too cautious, but when I see three cruisers backed up behind a pink Neon with a car full of teenage girls in there, I do think to myself the two that didn't make the initial stop could probably be using their time a bit more wisely, considering there usually aren't more than 5-6 cruisers on duty at any given time in this town.

But for the most part, erring on the side of caution isn't a bad thing.

firecop9774

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    Northern Hamilton County
    The cops did everything right. The OP did everything right. A minimal intrusion on the OP's freedom of movement, quickly and professionally investigated, and quickly released once OP was ruled out. Securing the weapon and checking for stolen while investigating a possible violent suspect (domestic violence suspect) - perfectly acceptable and normal.

Kudos to the OP for praising the professionalism and courtesy shown to him on this board, and I'm sure the courtesy and cooperation shown to the officers at the stop expedited their job.

On a side note, the weapon used to kill David Moore was obtained 2-3 blocks north of 38th and PP / Shadeland at the Mallard Cove Apartments. Traded for a rock of crack cocaine.......

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    Wait...you usually have a problem with multiple units on a traffic stop? :n00b:

Given recent shooting, I would rather see multiple back up called than a nervous officer overreacting and creating a false resisting charge or assaulting a guy simply due his heightened paranoia and fear.
    So yeah I will give the police the back up units and caution this time but the fishing trip thought the pockets and the the running of the weapon serial #, NOPE was not called for nor acceptable regardless of any dept policy to the contrary. I do not praise the boys in blue for doing their job correctly, that does not mean I think they are all bad. I have family in LE and friends in LE. I have ridden with them quite a bit. I am not as uninformed about the ins and outs of a patrol officers work.
    If all officers wish to be treated as professionals then they need to act, behave and perform like professionals, not punkazz high school bullies on a power trip!

Stresses of facing unknown individuals during routine contact between citizens and police officers is in reality minimal compared to the stress of leading a team into a building occupied by an unknown number of hostile well armed enemy combatants with hostages, neutralizing the bad guys and saving the hostages, while the international press is watching.
    Two soldiers alone many miles from back up in hostile territory looking for one target, terminating said target then making our way to friendlies with God knows how many soldiers in pursuit wanting to kill us. These are just a couple of the things I lived repeatedly for 22 years.
    So go ahead and tell me I have no clue of what these guys face. Or how to handle hostiles.
    99.9% of police officers out there will never have a single shot fired at them. Do not ever attempt to make a big deal of the risks,dangers or stresses of their jobs to me or any like me because we have been through way worse.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Given recent shooting, I would rather see multiple back up called than a nervous officer overreacting and creating a false resisting charge or assaulting a guy simply due his heightened paranoia and fear.
    So yeah I will give the police the back up units and caution this time but the fishing trip thought the pockets and the the running of the weapon serial #, NOPE was not called for nor acceptable regardless of any dept policy to the contrary. I do not praise the boys in blue for doing their job correctly, that does not mean I think they are all bad. I have family in LE and friends in LE. I have ridden with them quite a bit. I am not as uninformed about the ins and outs of a patrol officers work.
    If all officers wish to be treated as professionals then they need to act, behave and perform like professionals, not punkazz high school bullies on a power trip!

Stresses of facing unknown individuals during routine contact between citizens and police officers is in reality minimal compared to the stress of leading a team into a building occupied by an unknown number of hostile well armed enemy combatants with hostages, neutralizing the bad guys and saving the hostages, while the international press is watching.
    Two soldiers alone many miles from back up in hostile territory looking for one target, terminating said target then making our way to friendlies with God knows how many soldiers in pursuit wanting to kill us. These are just a couple of the things I lived repeatedly for 22 years.
    So go ahead and tell me I have no clue of what these guys face. Or how to handle hostiles.
    99.9% of police officers out there will never have a single shot fired at them. Do not ever attempt to make a big deal of the risks,dangers or stresses of their jobs to me or any like me because we have been through way worse.

:nopity:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake

Before the other day, how many shots do you think Officer Moore had fired at him?

I'd venture to guess that the majority of officers that die in the line of duty haven't been fired upon before that instance.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    The cops did everything right. The OP did everything right. A minimal intrusion on the OP's freedom of movement, quickly and professionally investigated, and quickly released once OP was ruled out. Securing the weapon and checking for stolen while investigating a possible violent suspect (domestic violence suspect) - perfectly acceptable and normal.

Kudos to the OP for praising the professionalism and courtesy shown to him on this board, and I'm sure the courtesy and cooperation shown to the officers at the stop expedited their job.

On a side note, the weapon used to kill David Moore was obtained 2-3 blocks north of 38th and PP / Shadeland at the Mallard Cove Apartments. Traded for a rock of crack cocaine.......

The "domestic violence" investigation ended the moment the OP handed the officers his drivers license & vehicle registration, as neither would have matched those of the wanted suspect.

Everything that happened after that point was beyond the scope of their "reasonable suspicion" authority.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The "domestic violence" investigation ended the moment the OP handed the officers his drivers license & vehicle registration, as neither would have matched those of the wanted suspect.

Everything that happened after that point was beyond the scope of their "reasonable suspicion" authority.

If the officers had a name of the suspect. If the female was being beaten in the street it is likely she didn't have an opportunity to dial 911. Very few police runs provide a name of the suspect, just a description and most of those are very vague.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    If the officers had a name of the suspect. If the female was being beaten in the street it is likely she didn't have an opportunity to dial 911. Very few police runs provide a name of the suspect, just a description and most of those are very vague.

I am assuming the officers had the suspects name, otherwise they'd had detained the OP until they had brought the victim/witness to the scene in order to do a visual ID.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I am assuming the officers had the suspects name, otherwise they'd had detained the OP until they had brought the victim/witness to the scene in order to do a visual ID.

Not necessarily. Who says anyone had even spoken to the victim at that point? What if she drove off to get away from her assailant before LE arrived?

Top Bottom