• JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Or my favorite idea.

A deserted island out in the middle of the pacific, converted into one massive prison camp. All inmates sentenced to death or life are dropped off by parachute. If they survive the fall then they have to survive the island. Once a month a food drop. No other interference from the mainland. Let the animals live like animals.

It's called Australia.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    So we should kill people to save money? And not bother with an appropriate appeals process to make sure we don't kill an innocent person?

If a murderer's family can pay for his incarceration do we let him live and only execute poor people? The decision to take a life should not come down to economics.

The for profit prison system is so bad already if you have money you can upgrade to better rooms(or facilities),hdtv,and order specific meals.Justice/life should never be about economic situation and that is the problem with most improperly sentenced to death(estimated at 25%),they could not afford a legal team and used a public defender.It is very true in this country that money will buy you "justice",so do not be poor is the best advise I can give someone charged with a crime.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Sorry, I guess I don't get the reference. Is this supposed to be an insult?

I don't see the problem with eliminating the criminal class. Those people willingly chose a life of crime and have proven to be unworthy to live in our society. Why should we continue to waste tax payer money to "reform" them. Prison is just crime college to them. They go in a novice and come out a pro. So they should either be eliminated or permanently removed from society into a facility that costs as little tax dollars as possible to maintain.

Let the animals live like animals on a deserted island somewhere. You know like the Brits did with the Aussies

Care to define criminal class or shall we just go with anyone the government declares committed a felony?
    You, too? From the author of Three Felonies a day Harvey Silverglate.
    If you do not know what the Lacey Act is you should along with many other laws you have probably broken and committed a felony in the process.Yes it is a felony to call in sick falsely if you are a salaried employee(Honest Service Fraud act).Scalia wrote that the law has been used to criminalize a “staggeringly broad swath of behavior,” and if the 28-word statute “is taken seriously and carried to its logical conclusion, presumably the statute also renders criminal…a salaried employee’s phoning in sick to go to a ball game.” This admonition has led the high court to accept three cases that challenge the scope of the “honest services” statute in the current term.

Quite a few other felony crimes you have likely committed or are regularly breaking that are talked about at the link above.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    They should have volunteer death races and island survival type things - televised pay per view. survivor(s) if any are aquitted

This idea should disturb you to the core.Volunteers?Under what duress?Volunteer or we put you in a cell with an HIV positive rapist?Acquitted based on providing entertainment to the mob? You need help.

Hypothetical.The man who raped and cut up your 6 year old son becomes a celebrity after winning his death race and surviving 3 days on no mans island(making roughly 50 million in profit for pay preview and another 50 million for the prison system)then get set free and writes a best selling book about his feats at pleasing the mob and himself becomes a millionaire.Justice served right?

Last edited:

Shiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2014
    The dumpster
    You may well be right.

Again I don't understand the reference. Sorry.

Care to define criminal class or shall we just go with anyone the government declares committed a felony?

Rapists, murders, thieves, people who beat their wives or harm children, Carrier criminals that pass into and out of our prison and jail systems regularly. Ask any cop I'm sure they have a list of people they see more than they really care to.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    This idea should disturb you to the core.Volunteers?Under what duress?Volunteer or we put you in a cell with an HIV positive rapist?Acquitted based on providing entertainment to the mob? You need help.

Hypothetical.The man who raped and cut up your 6 year old son becomes a celebrity after winning his death race and surviving 3 days on no mans island(making roughly 50 million in profit for pay preview and another 50 million for the prison system)then get set free and writes a best selling book about his feats at pleasing the mob and himself becomes a millionaire.Justice served right?

American moral superiority to third world nations on full display.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    So, everyone feigning moral superiority in this thread......... a quick, but old, question..... strawman....... whatever........

If you have the opportunity to kill Hilter with history as your guide would you take it?

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    So, everyone feigning moral superiority in this thread......... a quick, but old, question..... strawman....... whatever........

If you have the opportunity to kill Hilter with history as your guide would you take it?

Of course not. Without WWII my parents might not have met and I'd never have been born.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield

Honestly someone else would have been a "Hitler" for Germany because when he came to power Germany was in the midst of one of the worst depressions the world has ever seen, humiliated by the Treaty of Versailles Hitler promised the German people a return to glory and eventual global domination lasting a thousand years. So IMHO killing Hitler would have just opened the door for another charismatic whack job. :twocents: Sorry for the brief history lesson.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    picard-facepalm-o.gif

There is evil in the world.

Being against everything is being for nothing.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Rooting for gladiator style executions makes one no better than the evil they claim to be fighting against.

Horse****.

People taking the "high road" and not doing a damn thing about the evil in the world is why society is currently circling the drain.

There are no answers in high minded ideals. Oh, they sound wonderful, enlightened, blah blah freaking blah but do nothing to address the problem.

"Ok then do something!" Yeah, execution for high crimes have my blessing. I'll vote for them.

And before one of you replies with......... Yeah, do it yourself............ If only it were LEGAL.
    Since I'm not a law breaking ******* and choose to live following the current laws of this society my hands are tied.
    As is stands now the same people doing jack **** and standing in opposition would be the same
    dipsticks that would want me arrested for taking care of the problems they are too good and high minded to address.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Just wondering if any of you have ever read the Bill of Rights. It came with more than just the 2nd Amendment.

8th%20Amendment.jpg

Out of morbid curiosity, what exactly was the common and ordinary (read "Constitutionally acceptable") method of implementing the death penalty used 200 years ago in our great land?? I'm sure it simply could NOT have been hanging, as that has apparently been deemed to be cruel and unusual. And thus every historical execution lawfully carried out this way MUST have been illegal and done by a corrupt regime, according to some here...

On a side note, why would it be a violation of a person's 8th Amendment rights to have a "death by hanging" sentence carried out after the full due process of the law has been completed? If hanging is so horrifying to watch, don't freaking watch it! If it ends in death for the person sentenced, then I guess it was pretty successful, huh? When I think of cruel and unusual, I recall horror stories where someone was skinned alive, or buried alive in an ant hill, or any of the classic medieval torture methods that could take days to kill someone. Hanging resulting in death a few minutes later than normal? Awww, shucks. Pity the poor convicted murderer/rapist/whatever. NOT.

And while I'm at it, I would like for someone, anyone, to show me a valid and verified legal system implemented by humans that has NEVER made a significant mistake. With sources and references, ironclad historical data to back it all up. I will wait patiently for this impossibility to happen. I will also, however, go on with my life with the realization that EVERY judicial system will ALWAYS make some errors in some way simply because it has humans involved in it. I will trust our judicial system...not blindly, and certainly not always happily...to make the best possible decision in life/death situations based on all the modern fact gathering and analysis available at the time, and with the full consideration of due process protecting the accused from "kangaroo court" type decisions. And by "due process" I am referring to the right to appeal a misguided sentencing to a higher court, where a better analysis of the facts has a realistic shot at changing the verdict. I do NOT however support the idea of "chasing jackalopes" by trying every single strategy in every single higher court possible in the hope that eventually one judge will ignore the preponderance of evidence and somehow miraculously deem the accused to be wrongfully convicted decades after the original decision was handed down.

On the other hand, what exactly is the point of one life sentence, let alone multiple life sentences being handed down? I have always believed that if the court sees no possibility of the accused ever returning to society in a productive & rehabilitated manner, then a simple application of short rope/long fall would remove that individual from society without placing further burdens on everyone else in that society.

Of course, I'm positive that someone on here (not naming names and all that) will have a truly wonderful and eloquently worded argument as to why I'm despicably and utterly wrong.

copperhead-1911

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    New Castle
    Lots of people are now aware of how much an execution costs compared to keeping someone in prison for life. personally I believe in the death penalty, but in college I had to write a paper on capital punishment and despite it being over a decade ago I recall the price was more than double. Truth is most of the cost is all the endless appeals, but they still cost.

One factor of the death penalty is that you cant let an innocent man out of the grave ( or woman). You can let an wrongfully accused man out of jail. I think the death penalty needs to be modified to make it where it is cut and dry ( like the fort hood shooter and so forth). If people where any reasonable doubt were not executed then people would probably swing much quicker, because it would be a dead to rights case.

Top Bottom