• cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Who would like to cast the first stone?

A family member of the victim, probably.

I agree with transparency because I also believe we have the right to this information. From what I understand about this is the government wants to keep this information from the public due to people exposing the companies supplying the chemicals. The government is having a hard time finding companies to supply the chemicals due to the special interest groups that would protest and boycott those companies. This hurts the profits, so they are reluctant to supply the chemicals of death to the prisons. I can't blame the companies though for protecting their profits. I think there should be other alternatives to using the chemicals.

China would be glad to supply the materials they use, and I don't see demonstrators being allowed into the country to picket the facility (which is probably owned by the PLA anyway). That way no moral dilemma for US companies.

Or we could send the prisoners to China and let them do the entire job.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I agree with the suggestion that family of the victim(s) should choose the manner of death. Firing squad, gas chamber, hanging or electric chair. Take your pick.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I understand the emotional component of wanting to see the person suffer for the crime(s) they commit--especially if it was somebody close to you. Many people would want that revenge, that primal satisfaction that the person got a taste of what they dished out. But the death penalty is supposed to be justice not revenge. And it should be reserved for the most egregious crimes the animals among us can commit.

I agree with that. Justice means it's not primarily a deterrent, it's not revenge, it's not punishment, it's right. Society decided the crime committed brings a penalty - in this case death. That death should be swift and 100% lethal. The proper way to do it should be decided by empirical data, which sounds like hanging would rank high. Bottom line is lethal injection would rank low. Pick something else.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Firing squad is still a legal option in a couple of states. I think hanging is a legal option also.

The introduction of the drug companies and the medical profession should have never been done. Lots of expense and problems have been introduced into the equation. Nothing good has come of it. You would figure that in light of deaths due to medical misadventure and deaths due to bad drugs used treating non life threatening illnesses, they would be really good at elimination of life, but they do not seem to be able to perform on demand.

Last edited:

uberpeck

Marksman
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Who would like to cast the first stone?

If you are quoting the words of Jesus as a means of persuasion against the death penalty, that doesn't apply here. Jesus was charging the Pharisees of hypocrisy, because they were adulterers wanting to stone an adulterer. He was attacking the hypocrisy behind their actions. This is completely different than the justice system cleaning up the gutters. We aren't murders wanting to murder, for the sake of our egos.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I believe in rehabilitation, or at least the opportunity to rehabilitate. If the prisoner refuses to rehabilitate and can not be trusted to enter society, then they should be put down as efficiently and effectively as possible.

Slaughter houses use a bolt gun to great effect. I don't think it would be too hard to rig up a helmet contraption that has a pneumatic bolt that would make someone real dead real fast.

And...It's re-usable!

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    I recently saw a video from some middle eastern country, whose name escapes me, showing an execution. A man murdered another man. It was up to the father of the murdered man as to whether the murderer should be executed. He chose yes. They brought the murderer out into the middle of the street and laid him out face down on a large cloth. The murdered man's father walked out, was handed an AK, walked up to the murderer and: pop! pop! pop!. Case Closed!

Last edited:

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Something that works would be sufficient. The whole attempted sterilization of the business of killing people for wrongs they commit paradoxically leads to more painful, protracted deaths by drug cocktails. Although the majority of Americans may still support the death penalty, we don't have the stomach collectively to just get it done, even if there's a little blood.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I recently saw a video from some middle eastern country, whose name escapes me, showing an execution. A man murdered another man. It was up to the father of the murdered man as to whether the murderer should be executed. He chose yes. They brought the murderer out into the middle of the street and laid him out face down on a large cloth. The murdered man's father walked out, was handed an AK, walked up to the murderer and: pop! pop! pop!. Case Closed!

Those guys have all the best murder rituals!

taliban_execution.jpg

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Something that works would be sufficient. The whole attempted sterilization of the business of killing people for wrongs they commit paradoxically leads to more painful, protracted deaths by drug cocktails. Although the majority of Americans may still support the death penalty, we don't have the stomach collectively to just get it done, even if there's a little blood.

The first execution by electric chair took nearly 8 minutes and the heat from the current was so intense it basically cooked the guy from the inside out. Ghastly thing....

All in the name of replacing the less humane method of hanging.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I find my support for it waning, actually... Kind of on the lines of what Libertarian posted above.

Philosophically - I agree with and support it.

In reality and in practice - not so much. Another angle that figures into my though process: I don't think that the government is, generally, too morally bankrupt and inept to be in charge of / issue such decrees.

-J-

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I read an article the other day about the "botched" execution in Oklahoma. Didn't understand the headline though, he was there to be executed for a crime he admitted to and died, what's the problem?

Top Bottom