• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    There are issues using the Innocence Project experience to extrapolate numbers.

First, IP works because the system works. To my knowledge, those that have been released by their efforts achieved that through the system - which includes the various post-conviction relief procedures.

Second, IP cases are primarily DNA-based cases where the convictions were either before DNA testing or used more rudimentary testing than we have today. Going forward, they will have fewer and fewer cases because we can avoid convicting those people in the first place. So, that "pool" of cases is singularly bad to use to predict future exonerations.

As an aside, I worked on an Indiana case involving the Innocence Project. They do good work, but are quite limited in the cases they can take.

Finally, I want to re-emphasize that my opinions are focused on Indiana. We have a good system. While I am less familiar with other states, I will absolutely not vouch for whether Texas or Illinois has ever executed an innocent person. But, that's a good thing about federalism - each state can have a system as good or bad (within constitutional boundaries) as they want.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Rest assured that IF I am ever "accused" of anything it will more than likely NOT be wrongly. I try to live and let live with as little trouble given or attention paid to those around me as possible to stay safe without being a bother to my neighbors. I do not go out seeking trouble.

I am usually a fairly mild mannered man but there are a small number of pains that, if they were to befall me or a member of my family, would drive me to great lengths to ensure the inflicter of those pains would feel 10 fold that pain before I let them be released of their mortal coil. And after all were said and done I would turn myself in and gladly accept what ever punishment was sought to fit my deeds.

The wicked deserved to be punished, If it means I must become a wicked man to ensure it happens, then so be it.

Your response does not relate at all to what I said. If you would not universally will your suggested method of punishment to apply to everyone fitting the circumstances of the crime which accords that method of punishment, including yourself (even though you're an upstanding person who wouldn't commit any crime against another), then it should not be implemented as a punishment, as not willing it to be universal would then be a violation of the categorical imperative. There's punishment and then there's barbarism. Hanging, while old-school, is intended to deliver the punishment quickly and not to drag out the process. Firing squad, same thing. Electric chair, in theory, does the same. Lethal injection does the same, although some argue that it's insufficient because it's not vindictive enough and provides too much comfort. But the purpose of law is not to be vindictive. It is not to deliberately inflict suffering. It is to mete out punishment in accordance with the law: the law exists to be punitive. It has no other function or purpose. I would rather be dead and buried than to live in a world in which the rule of Man is ever placed above the rule of Law.

Last edited:

Shiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2014
    The dumpster
    But if you be come a wicked man, that means you deserve to be punished too. :stickpoke: lol

Is that not what I said?
    And after all were said and done I would turn myself in and gladly accept what ever punishment was sought to fit my deeds.

Your response does not relate at all to what I said. If you would not universally will your suggested method of punishment to apply to everyone fitting the circumstances of the crime which accords that method of punishment, including yourself (even though you're an upstanding person who wouldn't commit any crime against another), then it should not be implemented as a punishment, as not willing it to be universal would then be a violation of the categorical imperative.

??? How does what I said not apply to myself if I am not wrongly accused? How could I be wrongly accused if I do not break the law? Wrong place wrong time scenario? The evidence would prove my innocence. Unless some corrupt cop/lawyer/judge/juror bent the facts of the case and forced it to fit me as the criminal I would walk away free.

I'm not sure if it is allowed but if they were to give me the chance to choose my own execution method I would chose to be drawn and quartered.

Top Bottom