• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    I never said "just Indiana". It just fit with how our state thinks, that's all.

With only 5 states that ban employment discrimination based upon sexual orientation, its disingenuous to merely state Indiana.

If you just wish to address Indiana mentality regarding right of homosexuals, according to Gallup in 2012, half of the population of the United States hold the same beliefs regarding same sex relationships.

If you look to proposed Indiana state constitutional amendment endeavors, there have been annual attempts to place a ban on same sex marriage since 2004, with all failing to meet the criteria to come to a constitutional referendum.....all while many other states have manage to do such.

How does our state think? Its right in the middle of mainstream America. Please don't overstate the facts.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    ......Loyalty is tricky, I tend to think it's not just about $$$, but that's a large part of it. Constantly challenging employees to improve themselves and putting projects on them to see if they can rise to the challenge is a great motivator for loyalty.

Every employee poll states that $$$ is the quantifier for better everything, when in reality, its darn near the least important.

Thinking outside the compensatory management box is key. Offering a complete package that focuses more upon a employee happiness, respect, growth, and dignity; that includes a reasonable wage, appears to be the method to less attrition in the workplace.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Every employee poll states that $$$ is the quantifier for better everything, when in reality, its darn near the least important.

Thinking outside the compensatory management box is key. Offering a complete package that focuses more upon a employee happiness, respect, growth, and dignity; that includes a reasonable wage, appears to be the method to less attrition in the workplace.

There's a line in the sand financially, and *most* people once they cross over it are looking for more then an increase in money. I had a guy working for me that had too much on his mind with $$$ (and he was stupid about money as well so that made it worse) and it distracted him from his work and made him a bad employee after a while. We had to let him go because of it.

We promote from within, grooming certain people for roles that they will grow into as we need them.

straid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Well its his business, I dont do business with companies or people I dont want to support. Would hate to think I could be fired for disagreeing with my boss, also would hate to think I cpuldn't choose to not further employ someone I feel is doing all they can to ruin the country.
    The mistake (on the part of the employed), is letting their political views known to those they work with in the first place. The bit about never talking religion and politics, is not just a pithy saying, it's actually pretty good advice. I'd add guns and abortion to the list, as well. All hot-button items that can come back to bite you in the backside.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    The mistake (on the part of the employed), is letting their political views known to those they work with in the first place. The bit about never talking religion and politics, is not just a pithy saying, it's actually pretty good advice. I'd add guns and abortion to the list, as well. All hot-button items that can come back to bite you in the backside.

As hot button topics are incredibly subjective, it would rather seem that all matters have the potential to bite anyone in any part of the anatomy.

The only difference being, recourse for stated protections offered under law.

straid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    As hot button topics are incredibly subjective, it would rather seem that all matters have the potential to bite anyone in any part of the anatomy.

The only difference being, recourse for stated protections offered under law.
    True enough. But there are some topics for which people have very strong opinions and won't be swayed to alternative thinking, no matter how reasonable a case is made. Companies can always find ways to let people go based on other reasons. In many states, they don't even need a reason.

There's no benefit in letting people I will never see outside of the workplace, whether I'm pro-this or anti-that. There's nothing to gain.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    I would rather not see someone fired ovet a difference in opinion, we all deserve the ablity to be able to be able to provide for our familys and ourselves.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I would rather not see someone fired ovet a difference in opinion, we all deserve the ablity to be able to be able to provide for our familys and ourselves.

I support a business owners right to not employ those dead set on dismantling what he/she has built.

I'd prefer that people have the right to work/quit working where they want and employers to have the right to employ/fire who they want.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I support a business owners right to not employ those dead set on dismantling what he/she has built.

I'd prefer that people have the right to work/quit working where they want and employers to have the right to employ/fire who they want.

There's a difference between sabotaging a business and voting for a political candidate.

Political affiliation isn't the be all and end all of what a person is. I am both conservative and liberal in my beliefs. I don't agree with either side in all issues.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    This, folks right here is a prime example why you don't let random people know your political or personal beliefs. I believe that in the workplace especially since you don't know who would stab your back for an advancement or if your boss felt really mean that day and decided he was done with your gun rights crap. Go to work to do your job.

Now on the other hand if everyone you work with has the same beliefs about things and it's a laid-back atmosphere then yeah share whatever. But for me being the "gray man" of the workplace works just fine.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    This, folks right here is a prime example why you don't let random people know your political or personal beliefs. I believe that in the workplace especially since you don't know who would stab your back for an advancement or if your boss felt really mean that day and decided he was done with your gun rights crap. Go to work to do your job.

Now on the other hand if everyone you work with has the same beliefs about things and it's a laid-back atmosphere then yeah share whatever. But for me being the "gray man" of the workplace works just fine.

I agree, I made the mistake once of telling somebody who I voted for and then had to spend the next hour listening to why I was wrong. Never again.

I just don't say anything anymore to anybody in a professional environment.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    There's a difference between sabotaging a business and voting for a political candidate.

In some cases, sure. When the man you've decided to back has commercials playing on national television the day before the election supporting the idea that those who work hard and generate success should "give a little more" to support those who do little to nothing, it is sabotaging. Biting the hand that feeds you seldom works out for the toothy critter.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

And I'd argue there's no difference. Doesn't make much difference to me if the person destroys my business directly by his own actions or those of others he's elected to act in his stead.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    There would be some taking your anti-freedom stance and gnashing their teeth over how wrong it is. But those who form their opinion based on liberty and not personal desire would have the same response they gave in this thread: employer's prerogative.

Snip

Employers are not put on this earth to provide jobs and wages. And nobody is entitled to a job just because.

I just keep falling in love with you over and over again.

Gee223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    I support their decision, it's good logic! These two people voted for a man who is going to cost every employer money, it should cost them money as well.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    And I'd argue there's no difference. Doesn't make much difference to me if the person destroys my business directly by his own actions or those of others he's elected to act in his stead.

There are a multitude of reasons to vote for or against somebody. NOBODY who was running supported my personal position 100%. Holding that against somebody to the point of firing them is pretty "over the top".

Top Bottom