• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Seems they got what they wanted. Their man won and the actions of their man forced their company to cut jobs. Perhaps they'll give a couple seconds of intelligent thought to their beliefs/decisions and come to the realization that there are consequences to every decision.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Seems they got what they wanted. Their man won and the actions of their man forced their company to cut jobs. Perhaps they'll give a couple seconds of intelligent thought to their beliefs/decisions and come to the realization that there are consequences to every decision.

They'll use those massive intellects to conclude that it's evil, out of control greedy corporations, combined with George Bush - the one-man world wrecking crew, who cost them their jobs.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Wow, didn't know that. Seems to match the mentality in Indiana I guess. Intolerance for anything other than a "family values" lifestyle......

:rolleyes:

Too bad half the people on my block are on their second or third marriages....

Uhm, you might want to check that attitude about "just Indiana".

350px-Public_opinion_of_same-sex_marriage_in_USA_by_state.png

351px-Samesex_marriage_in_USA.svg.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_the_United_States

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Oh please, some of the most successful business owners I know are democrats. Stop with the pandering.

Yep, who also manage to exempt themselves from the very laws that they support too.

So who again is pandering?

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    People do have the right to accept, reject and to quit a job. But don't you feel that big business is out of control and they are ultimately trying to get us to work for minimum wage for everything? First convincing us Unions are evil, then passing RTW, guess what? We could go back to 80 hour work weeks, low pay, kids having to work, etc.

Sure that's a bit out there, but what the heck, so is everything else in the political forum these days.....

Are you sure that you're not just exaggerating, just a teeny bit? :rolleyes:

Most employment in this country, is derived from SMALL business. Please tell me how a business that gross revenue of < $2m, is supposed to survive with exponential tax increases, without having to cut climbing expenses, in part by direct labor costs.

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    welcome to "At Will" employment. You can be fired, at any time, for any reason (or no reason at all) with no notice before the termination. And on the other hand, you can quit, at any time, for any reason, with no notice. You should read the paperwork you sign when you get hired. The only flip side to this is with union protections... If you are my employee, I can fire you simply because I didn't like what you were wearing that day.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I don't care for obamacare, but I don't think it's right to fire somebody over political beliefs. Imagine the fallout if one of us was fired for supporting 2A? You can say you don't want to work with a boss like that, but the fact is a good paying job isn't exactly falling into people's laps right now.
    There would be some taking your anti-freedom stance and gnashing their teeth over how wrong it is. But those who form their opinion based on liberty and not personal desire would have the same response they gave in this thread: employer's prerogative.

I just prefer firing/hiring to be based on how skilled a worker you are, but I guess that's the business owner's loss if he fires someone for a stupid reason.

Loss? How would it be a loss?

Had gone by the quote and went and read article. Says they were in part fired due to poor performance. If that's the truth there's no problem in it. I see how he could be angry at Obama supporters due to his increased overhead because of Obamacare. It's just all a very touchy subject.
    It's not touchy. It's a manufactured issue because squeamish people somewhere in our history thought it was just "wrong" that the big bad mean employers could pick and choose their employees based on the employers' goals/preferences. So they co-opt the government to do what they can't: force employers to make decisions against their better interest. And you have fallen for the storyline :hooked:.

Employers are not put on this earth to provide jobs and wages. And nobody is entitled to a job just because.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Are you sure that you're not just exaggerating, just a teeny bit? :rolleyes:

Most employment in this country, is derived from SMALL business. Please tell me how a business that gross revenue of < $2m, is supposed to survive with exponential tax increases, without having to cut climbing expenses, in part by direct labor costs.

Exaggerating? Yes, but entirely possible within our lifetimes. But, business owners are growing to expect expert level employees for minimum wage salaries.

The Skills Gap Myth: Why Companies Can't Find Good People | TIME.com

Now, I'm a small business owner in a growing market and we need specialized employees who have a multitude of skills. I can't pay somebody minimum wage to work for me, they won't make it. I need somebody with skills, can be trained for new skills, and has a multitude of other talents depending upon the actual job they're performing. I agree about the incremental tax increases, they're getting to be annoying really quickly.

I agree about cutting costs, however you need to have realistic expectations on what you can pay people for a skillset.

Joq867

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Brooksville
    I have never been a union member, but have worked alongside union employees. The only thing a union does is keep mediocre and lazy workers in good jobs with minimal work.

HenryWallace

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I've worked for the Union, I've worked for the State, I've worked for Republicans and now I work for Democrats... i guess I never really saw eye to eye with any of them. I do like what I do and that's important to me and to my work ethics. It does help me produce... BUT, I do wish I could work for myself and my family. I can't help but to feel that the calluses on my hands should reflect my worth, and my family's stability.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I've worked for the Union, I've worked for the State, I've worked for Republicans and now I work for Democrats... i guess I never really saw eye to eye with any of them. I do like what I do and that's important to me and to my work ethics. It does help me produce... BUT, I do wish I could work for myself and my family. I can't help but to feel that the calluses on my hands should reflect my worth, and my family's stability.

Good post, I don't trust anybody either. I was fired last year and got the opportunity to re-invent my old company and to take what I learned over the years and do it differently. I wouldn't change it for the world.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I have never been a union member, but have worked alongside union employees. The only thing a union does is keep mediocre and lazy workers in good jobs with minimal work.

At times yes. I've known Union people who were lazy (Chicago Teamsters) but I have also known Union members who take their work seriously and are professional.

Blanket statements aren't generally true, there are exceptions to everything.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Oh please, some of the most successful business owners I know are democrats. Stop with the pandering.

Who's exempting themselves from what? I'm not following you.

If you would have read the newspapers, internet news services, television news broadcasts..........whatever, many of the same business owners and corporations that supported the aforementioned law, are the same business owners and corporations that have been exempted from the law.

Exemptions are granted on a case-by-case basis, and its awfully convenient to grant one entity a pass.....all while denying a business competitor that opposed the law.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Exaggerating? Yes, but entirely possible within our lifetimes. But, business owners are growing to expect expert level employees for minimum wage salaries.

The Skills Gap Myth: Why Companies Can't Find Good People | TIME.com

Now, I'm a small business owner in a growing market and we need specialized employees who have a multitude of skills. I can't pay somebody minimum wage to work for me, they won't make it. I need somebody with skills, can be trained for new skills, and has a multitude of other talents depending upon the actual job they're performing. I agree about the incremental tax increases, they're getting to be annoying really quickly.

I agree about cutting costs, however you need to have realistic expectations on what you can pay people for a skillset.

Businesses are competing in the same labor market offering specific KSAs, just as its competition doing the same.

I'm aware of the labor market right now, but if the individual businesses don't offer a competitive compensation package, how many qualified individuals will accept the position? How many qualified individuals will maintain loyalty and not terminate employment when a better offer comes around?

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Businesses are competing in the same labor market offering specific KSAs, just as its competition doing the same.

I'm aware of the labor market right now, but if the individual businesses don't offer a competitive compensation package, how many qualified individuals will accept the position? How many qualified individuals will maintain loyalty and not terminate employment when a better offer comes around?

I am completely 10000% on the page with you on this. My business serves a very specific market and I need to find techs who can handle the work. I can't just take any Windows technician and make them a Mac technician, it won't work. I need Mac technicians. Therefore I pay more for this specialty. I know it, I acknowledge it, I make it work. But, on the flip side, since this is such a niche market, everybody knows everybody else so we can "fish from a smaller pond" and know what we're looking at in terms of technicians before we even sit down to talk.

Loyalty is tricky, I tend to think it's not just about $$$, but that's a large part of it. Constantly challenging employees to improve themselves and putting projects on them to see if they can rise to the challenge is a great motivator for loyalty.

Top Bottom