• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    And one other thing I forgot Bill, with that photo you were so kind to share, you are nearly stooping to the level of the others. Just sayin'.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    And one other thing I forgot Bill, with that photo you were so kind to share, you are nearly stooping to the level of the others. Just sayin'.

Feel free to think I was stooping if you like. I said IF that's what you were doing, that might have been appropriate. Your posts and refusal to accept what you're being told by those of us who do the job come across to me (and others, if my rep additions are any indication) as just looking for an argument. We've discussed safety, necessity of speed, law, and standard practice, while you've discussed the waking of your baby, the disturbance of your sleep, insults to emergency workers (low man on the totem pole and "act like you're going to a 12-alarm fire when you're really going to a fuel spill, etc.)

See, what many EMT students (and EMTs, once they're certified) don't understand before they're taught and in fairness, what many paramedics forget is that when someone calls 911, whether you or I consider the reason for their call valid or not, most of the time, it's an emergency to them. I have seen hundreds of people hyperventilating, and God's honest truth, it's one of my favorite kind of calls (no sarcasm) because it's someone I can DO something for and get them turned around and feeling better pretty quickly and almost effortlessly. It's a GREAT feeling to see them chill out and look back at me with that "Wow, THANKS!" look on their face, and even better when I can teach them what to do to fix themselves next time so they don't HAVE to call us again for that. Nonetheless, when they call and they can't speak more than one word at a time to the dispatcher "I<pant>need<pant>an<pant>ambulance!", they are scared to death and thinking they're about to die. Their hands are contorted, their faces are numb, their chests hurt...
    Hyperventilation is not an emergency. Left to themselves, it's self-correcting: They'll pass out and their breathing will normalize... but what's going to happen when they pass out? Will they fall? Hit their head? Break their neck? Land face down on a plastic bag? No clue. Result: We get there as quickly and safely as we can, day or night.

The point is not to wake your baby. The point is the efficient and expeditious handling of emergency calls in the most effective manner possible. That means we have to get there safely. That means we have to get there quickly. The member upthread who posted that you should go back to bed and thank God the sirens didn't stop at your house was spot on... even if you personally don't believe in God. Just go in, hug your baby, rock him/her back to sleep and kiss him/her good night. You don't live in my response area, so it's unlikely you and I will ever meet professionally. It is my hope and prayer that you never meet anyone in my profession because they are on duty and you or someone you love needs our help. Know, however, that if that ever does happen, anyone I've worked with or trained will da*n sure be using that siren to get to you and yours ASAP... even knowing that there's a good chance you'll be one of the ones who complains about how long it seemed to take for them to arrive.

Have a great day, and please, pass along a happy mothers' day wish to that baby's mother.

Blessings,
    Bill

buffalo-springfield40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    I'll refrain from replying directly to that comment to save the infractions, but just take a guess what it might be and you'd likely be correct.

And no it ain't happy mothers day.

????????WTF??????.....:n00b:..ok...my guess is you posted something that about 98% of the ppl here disagree with you about....now your feeling alittle silly for the post....not only implying that running a chainsaw is the same as running to a real emergency situation...to the quote you gave about these ppl who risks their lifes to save others...having just another job....so its ok to feel alittle silly..thats my guess..and like you said...i might be right....FYI...EVERY MOTHERS DAY IS HAPPY!!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    True story.

We had a car that had a slow leak of fuel. We could drive it to the repair shop, but when the towing company was called and we told them it was not drivable (the specifics of the problem escape me at the moment) they said we had to have a fireman inspect the car before it would be towed. Mind you, the car sat in our driveway for several weeks before we ever got around to calling about fixing it, but we called the nearest fire station and explained to them what we needed. Instead of one guy coming in one vehicle, they literally rolled 3 trucks to our house, sirens blaring to see a pinhole leak in our car that didn't even drip fuel. Talk about overkill. The guys that bailed out of the truck were like WTF??? One guy wrote up a note to give the tow truck driver that said it was ok, and they all left.

Tell me why they came horns blaring to that one? It was not an emergency, and we never indicated any sort of one.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    ????????WTF??????.....:n00b:..ok...my guess is you posted something that about 98% of the ppl here disagree with you about....now your feeling alittle silly for the post....not only implying that running a chainsaw is the same as running to a real emergency situation...to the quote you gave about these ppl who risks their lifes to save others...having just another job....so its ok to feel alittle silly..thats my guess..and like you said...i might be right....FYI...EVERY MOTHERS DAY IS HAPPY!!

I certainly don't feel silly. But I think you are goofy. In a polite kind of way.

Mr. 169 posts.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I'm not sure what you don't understand about running hot 24/7.......360. For the entire public it makes sense except for folks that like to either complain or stir up :poop:
    Even at 2am there are blind drives, intersections and light, oblivious traffic. You are correct to state that not every run is a true emergency, but we don't know that until we get there... do we?

And since you can hear what you say is 2 miles away, I'm sure that you can not see that far nor even bother to try. So now you are commenting on a situation that you aren't even able to witness. Clearly there is a problem, but I don't think its with Professional Firefighters.

How has INGO not learned, some people are only here to stir the pot, especially when there handle refers to it.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I'm not sure what you don't understand about running hot 24/7.......360. For the entire public it makes sense except for folks that like to either complain or stir up :poop:
    Even at 2am there are blind drives, intersections and light, oblivious traffic. You are correct to state that not every run is a true emergency, but we don't know that until we get there... do we?

And since you can hear what you say is 2 miles away, I'm sure that you can not see that far nor even bother to try. So now you are commenting on a situation that you aren't even able to witness. Clearly there is a problem, but I don't think its with Professional Firefighters.

How has INGO not learned, some people are only here to stir the pot, especially when there handle refers to it.

:facepalm:

buffalo-springfield40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    I certainly don't feel silly. But I think you are goofy. In a polite kind of way.

Mr. 169 posts.

well..i can't aurgue that...goofy?,,,,yep..not the worst thing i been called....and certainly not nearly as polite as you just did...i mean..aint like i let a car leak fuel for weeks in my driveway...now that would be goofy..:n00b:

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    deadhorsecode3.jpg

buffalo-springfield40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Or Mr. Spin.

now thats a name i like.....Mr. Spin....with all joking aside....i understand how hard it is to sleep with noise..been on shift work for 25 yrs...hope no one was or is offended by my smart a** remarks...its my schtick...maybe after 2000 more post..i'll fit right in also..alittle thing that works for me Mr.360....earplugs and a fan....my alarm is hooked up to my lights....have worked for me...and may god grant ya a good nites sleep my friend...good luck....

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    now thats a name i like.....Mr. Spin....with all joking aside....i understand how hard it is to sleep with noise..been on shift work for 25 yrs...hope no one was or is offended by my smart a** remarks...its my schtick...maybe after 2000 more post..i'll fit right in also..alittle thing that works for me Mr.360....earplugs and a fan....my alarm is hooked up to my lights....have worked for me...and may god grant ya a good nites sleep my friend...good luck....

Just a little reminder, it's not me that the sirens wake up directly. :draw:

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    The reason we run lights and sirens 24-7 is this. If I smoke a Mini Cooper in my 60,000lb fire truck while not using all the tools avalible to me I, not just the department but me personally, am going to get sued. Waking you and your kid up is better than me killing somebody in a wreck and spending the rest of my life in court and prision.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    To you and the others who are trying to explain why you run sirens all the way, it sounds as if you live in an area that has high volume traffic 24 hours a day? The area I live in is not like that. That's why I implied about running through residential areas. Through the middle of the city, maybe, but not down a semi-country road with nothing but housing additions littering the area.

I will admit the area I work in is a high volume traffic area but even with that being said at 3am there might not be a lot of traffic out..........but it only takes 2 cars, me and on either unseen or "I'm sure he see's me" car, to ruin ALL of our night or year or the remainder of our lives (which might not be much time depending on the crash).

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Rant

I am tired of hearing sirens blaring at all hours of the night where I live. Traffic is nearly null from 11:00 pm-6 am, so the need to scream down the road in multiple vehicles with multiple sirens is NOT necessary. I can merit a quick horn blast at an intersection or stop sign, but not all the way down the road to wherever it is you are going.

Some people have babies and/or children who are trying to sleep, along with most of America catching Z's at this time of night. Just because you are low on the totem pole at the fire station or ambulance station shift doesn't mean you need to play like you are going to a 12 alarm fire, when in all likelihood you are probably running on a traffic accident, fuel spill, or whatever other policy run your department now runs on besides fires.

Run em silent. Your lights light up the night sky plenty to let em know you are coming. It's doubtful there are blind people driving around at that hour.

/Rant

Hmmm, when I am coming home or out at about during those hours I guess they should not worry about sirens so I can get out of the way to allow them to get to the scene faster because you and your familes sleep is more important.......:) Oh and your familes sleep is more important then me bleeding out on the side of the road after a wreck coming home from work because they can't use sirens and have drive slower resulting in me dieing......... but I am sure everyone including myself will die happy knowing that you and little Timmy got their sleep.

I realize you are most liley trying to stir the pot and fire people up so consider the above a response to a stupid thread.

:rolleyes:

I am also sure that you would be the first to sue when little Timmy dies in a house fire or something at night and you find out they did not use their sirens and could not get their faster...... or like above I am sure you would be okay wish some minni cooper getting hit but a fire truck because the person did not hear the sirens (I often hear fire trucks before I see them) so that little Timmy can get his sleep.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Let me add to this thread by explaining the comment about running the lights and sirens for :poop: and giggles...I know of a few people who work at the fire department who would say they do it because they can, and because it's cool. I was wrong in implying ALL emergency personnel are this way, but used a generalization I should not have included. With that said, I live in a city run by retards, and I wouldn't put anything past them for instilling some ridiculous code about anything. Anyone who lives in Bloomington will attest to that. I could have been a little more tactful in my OP, but then again, that wouldn't be me, now would it?

Thanks to those who answered in a mild manner.

I'm done with this thread.

Top Bottom