• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I used to get annoyed at the sounds of the AIRPLANES flying off 10 every 20 minutes at 1-2am (FedEx jets) AND the sirens at all hours of the night too, but the kids and I have gotten used to it so much that we don't hear it at night. You could also look into better sound proofing if it's that much of a bother. I wasn't used to it at first either when I moved up here to Plainfield. I lived in the Country and when we seen fire trucks, we took off after then to see if it was someone we knew and if we could help. Up here, it's an every few hours thing it seems like some nights, if not more frequent. It's just something that you either get used to or you don't. :dunno:

I used to hear every one of SE's posts when I first got to INGO. But now, I mean, they're just so commonplace and there are so many of them, it's like I hardly even notice any more. ... ;)

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    My general rule of thumb while I work is.

Daylight hours : Siren all the time unless we are traveling at a slower speed through a neighborhood. If so, I'll activate the siren while approaching and going through intersections and if we come across any vehicular traffic while in the neighborhood.

Night time hours: Siren any time traffic is present or we are approaching / going through intersections. If we are going through a neighborhood or some country road in the middle of no man lands I'll keep the siren off as a common courtesy.

No need to wake your neighbors up because you stubbed your toe at 3am . :D

Blaze261

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    My general rule of thumb while I work is.

Daylight hours : Siren all the time unless we are traveling at a slower speed through a neighborhood. If so, I'll activate the siren while approaching and going through intersections and if we come across any vehicular traffic while in the neighborhood.

Night time hours: Siren any time traffic is present or we are approaching / going through intersections. If we are going through a neighborhood or some country road in the middle of no man lands I'll keep the siren off as a common courtesy.

No need to wake your neighbors up because you stubbed your toe at 3am . :D

I generally fallow this rule, however it only takes one time where it can bite you in the ass. Last year on one run I was very close to letting it bite me in the ass. That's not to make any other point to you, other than keep your head on a swivel.

To the OP, Sorry for keeping you up.

To the others that want to have the Ft vs. Vollie Argument. I come form both sides of the table and can honestly tell you it can and does make a difference. In this business time is everything. If you don't want to pay for a service maybe you haven't had to use it yet. God bless those that take their own time to keep others safe regardless of what organization they belong to.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    What amazes me is how many of you did not read my post and make any comprehension of it, then barked off some dumb-A* reply. Posts 42&43 contradict what others have said about it being law to run sirens the entire trip. Now, let's figure out why.

Blaze261

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    That liability falls back on me, I know it is law. I said I "generally" follow the rule as the poster above me stated.

You said that you heard the sirens for 2 miles, I guarantee that I am going to have the sirens on sometime in a 2 mile area that you are going to hear it. I try to be courteous, if you want I could just keep my foot on the Q pedal, however if I am able to get my point across (that I am there) I don't have the need to stand on the loud pedal and wake those out there that are living 2+ miles away. Seems that you don't see the middle area. Again sorry for keeping you up, but if I need to keep the others in my truck and any other vehicle drivers out there safe to respond quickly to an emergency then so be it.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    That liability falls back on me, I know it is law. I said I "generally" follow the rule as the poster above me stated.

You said that you heard the sirens for 2 miles, I guarantee that I am going to have the sirens on sometime in a 2 mile area that you are going to hear it. I try to be courteous, if you want I could just keep my foot on the Q pedal, however if I am able to get my point across (that I am there) I don't have the need to stand on the loud pedal and wake those out there that are living 2+ miles away. Seems that you don't see the middle area. Again sorry for keeping you up, but if I need to keep the others in my truck and any other vehicle drivers out there safe to respond quickly to an emergency then so be it.
    Im not the one directly affected, but when it wakes a baby, and the parent has to in turn get up to sooth the baby because of the barrage of sirens that just went by, then two people are affected. That's the basis of my rant. If there are multiple emergency vehicles traveling in a row, why do they ALL need to blare their sirens? In larger cities, I could validate the 24 hr traffic warning, but it's simply not that way here. You might see 1/2 dozen cars an hour if your lucky.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    What amazes me is how many of you did not read my post and make any comprehension of it, then barked off some dumb-A* reply. Posts 42&43 contradict what others have said about it being law to run sirens the entire trip. Now, let's figure out why.

I sure hope you weren't meaning my post by this. I wasn't trying to be condescending or anything. I felt the same way the first few months I lived up here living less than a mile from the fire house. Like I said, it either something you get used to or you don't. And it's fairly easy to upgrade soundproofing if you can't get used to it. :twocents:

newbomb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    southwest indiana
    I have been in an emerency vehicle crash while running lights only and bumping the siren at an intersection. I was the EMT in the back of an ambulance and it was NOT cool! Im a career Firefighter now and When Im running the siren Its all or nothing. Lights AND siren or on the quiet thats it. To answer the OPs question about multiple vehicles running sirens, if its possible, its safer to run a different sounding siren than the vehicle in front of you. For example Im on a ladder company, if Im following the engine to a fire and they are running the "Q" I will run the electronic to let people know there are 2 vehicles coming.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Im glad they run loud at all hours...imagine what would happen if they ran silent late at night or early in the AM...when deer are moving the most. not only will the person who made the call have to wait for someone else but now the responders will need help as well.

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    Well...... untill you have driven up on a vehicle at midnight with Lights and Sirens running please do not comment.
    You would not believe how un aware people are when they are driving.
    No matter if it's 12 Midnight or 12 Noon.
    Yes you would think all those lights that the squad car has on (looking like close encounters) would gain attention of drivers. But quite simply the majority of people just look stright ahead when driving.
    Ride along with an officer sometimes and when he gets a call just sit there and observe. watch the rear view mirror on the car you are fast approaching on while he lays on the siren, lights and horn. And at the last minute just before you think you just may S&%t your pants you will see thier eyes grow to 5 times thier size and they may swerve hard to the right ... or hit the brakes. You just don't know what they may do so you need to be on your toes. All because drivers pay little attention to driving. When and if you do find someone to ride with you will then understand why the lights and siren are used and necessary no matter when, day or night when getting to a situation.

buffalo-springfield40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    if you recieved dumba** replies...its because of the dumba** post...

Blaze261

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Im not the one directly affected, but when it wakes a baby, and the parent has to in turn get up to sooth the baby because of the barrage of sirens that just went by, then two people are affected. That's the basis of my rant. If there are multiple emergency vehicles traveling in a row, why do they ALL need to blare their sirens? In larger cities, I could validate the 24 hr traffic warning, but it's simply not that way here. You might see 1/2 dozen cars an hour if your lucky.

I have a 1yr old. So I know the point your trying to put. I guess the soundproofing in my house is good, or my boy snores right through it. Either way if he did wake up putting him back to sleep is no big deal compared to making sure that the emergency on the other side of town is being handled the quickest and safest way possible.

As for the multiple vehicles, even with the siren on my vehicle 50 yds back, people seem to think it is only the first vehicle on the call. Then they dart out back into the road thinking that all is clear. I like to make sure that I am doing everything I can to make sure they know I am there. Honestly you would not believe how people drive. You also would not be the first person that has ever asked this question nor will you be the last. But, every time I hear this question it is from someone that has never drove an emergency apparatus.

Ever think how people drive with their air on, window up, music blaring hear a emergency vehicle? I have driven over a mile down the road before following a car that did not know I was there doing 10 under the speed limit. People just don't pay attention.

Again sorry that we have woken you and your child up.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    if you recieved dumba** replies...its because of the dumba** post...

I'll refrain from replying directly to that comment to save the infractions, but just take a guess what it might be and you'd likely be correct.

And no it ain't happy mothers day.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I have a 1yr old. So I know the point your trying to put. I guess the soundproofing in my house is good, or my boy snores right through it. Either way if he did wake up putting him back to sleep is no big deal compared to making sure that the emergency on the other side of town is being handled the quickest and safest way possible.

As for the multiple vehicles, even with the siren on my vehicle 50 yds back, people seem to think it is only the first vehicle on the call. Then they dart out back into the road thinking that all is clear. I like to make sure that I am doing everything I can to make sure they know I am there. Honestly you would not believe how people drive. You also would not be the first person that has ever asked this question nor will you be the last. But, every time I hear this question it is from someone that has never drove an emergency apparatus.

Ever think how people drive with their air on, window up, music blaring hear a emergency vehicle? I have driven over a mile down the road before following a car that did not know I was there doing 10 under the speed limit. People just don't pay attention.

Again sorry that we have woken you and your child up.
    To you and the others who are trying to explain why you run sirens all the way, it sounds as if you live in an area that has high volume traffic 24 hours a day? The area I live in is not like that. That's why I implied about running through residential areas. Through the middle of the city, maybe, but not down a semi-country road with nothing but housing additions littering the area.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Posts 42 and 43 did not contradict that it is law, they just said they don't obey that law. My personal opinion is that that's not a wise decision, but if that's what they decide to do, the consequences of that decision are theirs to bear.

I have been looking for the law on this point to quote it to you. I have thus far been unsuccessful in locating it, however that may be more a failure on my part of knowing where to look than anything else. I do know that from the beginning of my career, I've been told repeatedly that this is the case and likely, so have they. I'm going to keep looking, of course. When I find the answer, I will post it. If I've been told incorrectly, I'll post that fact as well.

Whether or not there is a law to this effect and whether or not my siren wakes a baby or ten babies or a thousand babies, I really don't care because babies wake up all the time. I'm more concerned with the baby on the other side of my response area whose mother just walked in and found not breathing. She's on the floor doing dispatcher-instructed CPR because that's the only chance her baby has of living until we get there and start doing what we do.

Oh, and as for multiple vehicles all running sirens? Check the statistics. There is a far greater likelihood of the second emergency vehicle getting hit than the first, because people might (sometimes) pull over for the first one, never thinking there might be a second (or more) following it. As has been said, that's why lots of times, we run multiple tones at the same time.

Of course, if you're just looking for a "hot button" thread to tick people off and really don't care about the responses you're getting other than that people are responding to your posts, I think I found the appropriate picture:

troll.jpg

Blessings,
    Bill

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Last year on one run I was very close to letting it bite me in the ass. That's not to make any other point to you, other than keep your head on a swivel.
    :+1:

:+1: x 10000000

Like Blaze261 stated, it's almost even more important when multiple emergency vehicles are traveling together. I've personally seen dozens of close calls between vehicles and cop cars, fire trucks, other ambulances because they moved for one vehicle and ignored the others.

I say we continue to refer to the siren as the "stupid switch" in this thread. When you turn it on, even the best drivers usually forget even basic rules of the road.

It really doesn't seem like any answer is going to please the OP, so I'm just gonna take my box of popcorn, sit back, and enjoy the show. :popcorn:

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Sorry for the double post:

IC 9-19-5-3 Sec. 3. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b): (1) a vehicle may not be equipped with; and (2) a person may not use upon a vehicle; a siren, whistle, or bell. (b) An authorized emergency vehicle may be equipped with a siren, whistle, or bell that is capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than five hundred (500) feet and of a type approved by the department. A siren authorized under this section may not be used except when the vehicle is operated in response to an emergency call or in the immediate pursuit of an actual or suspected violation of the law. The person who drives a vehicle equipped with a siren under this section shall sound the siren when reasonably necessary to warn pedestrians and other persons who are driving vehicles of the approach of the authorized vehicle.

http://www.in.gov/dhs/files/driving_laws.pdf

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Thanks for posting that, iamaclone. It's not the part I was looking for, mostly because, as you said, I don't think 360 is going to be happy with any answer other than, "Oh yes, absolutely. We'll stop using the siren that helps prevent accidents with emergency vehicles because it inconveniences you and keeps your wee little bairn awake at night."

I suspect he'll focus on the underlined portion of your quote, either repeating that there are no pedestrians and few vehicles at those hours in his area or addressing his belief that it's not "reasonably necessary" at that time in his area.

We who have been there know otherwise, but when someone's mind is made up, they do not wish to be confused with such trivial things as facts.

Blessings,
    Bill

Blaze261

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Posts 42 and 43 did not contradict that it is law,

Bill I agree with everything you have written. Code I think is as follows:

Beat me too it

If I can see the road ahead is Clear, I act as such, I however cannot see threw walls, so yea I use one then. My earlier description I was trying to give would fall under the 500 ft rule(not standing on the Q). As I am sure you are aware that would be a far cry from a wound up Q(mile away) as I would at intersections, heavy traffic/day, etc. I use the sirens as much as I have seen others use it for the most part as I have been taught, I however have run down a country road with open fields, no house within a mile, with the person sitting in the other seat trying to lock up a Q because they did not get to use it much.

In closing I don't want to sound like I don't use it as I should, Heck, I myself have locked up a Q before. Burnt the motor up.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Posts 42 and 43 did not contradict that it is law, they just said they don't obey that law. My personal opinion is that that's not a wise decision, but if that's what they decide to do, the consequences of that decision are theirs to bear.

I have been looking for the law on this point to quote it to you. I have thus far been unsuccessful in locating it, however that may be more a failure on my part of knowing where to look than anything else. I do know that from the beginning of my career, I've been told repeatedly that this is the case and likely, so have they. I'm going to keep looking, of course. When I find the answer, I will post it. If I've been told incorrectly, I'll post that fact as well.

Whether or not there is a law to this effect and whether or not my siren wakes a baby or ten babies or a thousand babies, I really don't care because babies wake up all the time. I'm more concerned with the baby on the other side of my response area whose mother just walked in and found not breathing. She's on the floor doing dispatcher-instructed CPR because that's the only chance her baby has of living until we get there and start doing what we do.

Oh, and as for multiple vehicles all running sirens? Check the statistics. There is a far greater likelihood of the second emergency vehicle getting hit than the first, because people might (sometimes) pull over for the first one, never thinking there might be a second (or more) following it. As has been said, that's why lots of times, we run multiple tones at the same time.

Of course, if you're just looking for a "hot button" thread to tick people off and really don't care about the responses you're getting other than that people are responding to your posts, I think I found the appropriate picture:

troll.jpg

Blessings,
    Bill
    No Bill, I am not looking for a "hot button". I am sincere about it, and I stand by my post. I call tough :poop: if people here are too thin skinned to have a liberal discussion about it. It's a valid gripe, and just because I am not an emergency worker, doesn't mean I don't have a valid complaint. I'm sorry if it's not a Glock vs M&P thread, 45 vs 9mm, or any of the other repeated dead horse beatings that go on here. I read all kinds of dumb :poop: here every day, but I usually don't go on bashing people because of it. I usually just skip over it. Sure I have posted my anti-religious beliefs, but again, a controversial subject that some are too thin skinned to participate in a 3 dimensional conversation. Just to explain that term to the short-of-thought, there are always three sides to every story. Mine, yours, and someone else's. It's funny how quickly one can get gang-banged around here. Many of the posters who reply in a negative manner wouldn't think twice about calling me out on their own about something I have posted, but instead peep until they see someone else jump, then jump on the bandwagon and commence the flogging.

With that said, I appreciate the few posters, including yourself, who have provided a reason without going ape :poop: about it towards me.

Top Bottom