• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    As an OP said in a earlier post, 75% (actually I think it's 70% now) of the fire protection in this country is volunteer.

7 bucks here and 7 bucks there add up. I don't know your area or demographics but I've seen many counties go with full time'ers way to soon and wind up in this position.

Honestly a combination firehouse is the way to go.

As a former Fire Fighter / EMT you won't find any sympathy from me when you try and project those scare tactics to people in order to save your job.

FWIW If the county does pass the savings of cutting some of those FT positions home owners would be looking at a decrease in prop taxes of probably 50 bucks a year, netting 57 a year. The house will stay open, it'll just go back to volunteers. Depending on the call volume of your station, that is probably not a bad thing in the least and you're saving taxpayers nearly 2 million dollars a year in salaries / benefits.

Like the OP being selfish about his sleep, your just focused on your job here. Shame on you for trying to scare everyone into signing your petition.

He was honest and up-front about the fact that his job is on the line. I can't fault someone asking for help keeping his job when there are people who are actively trying to deny it to him. You have a right to your opinion, of course, but I don't share it. If he'd tried to conceal the fact that it affected him personally, I might think differently, but I respect honesty, and if I was in the area, I'd sign that petition, not in small measure because he's also correct about the added response time for volunteers to respond from home. That's no insult to the dedicated volunteer firefighters, it's just a logistical reality, like police being a reactive force that cannot be everywhere. Where I live, my local volunteer department has to drive from about 4-5 miles away, right past a staffed, city fire station about one mile away to get to my house. This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If it does to you, please explain it to me.

Blessings,
    Bill

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    Rant

I am tired of hearing sirens blaring at all hours of the night where I live. Traffic is nearly null from 11:00 pm-6 am, so the need to scream down the road in multiple vehicles with multiple sirens is NOT necessary. I can merit a quick horn blast at an intersection or stop sign, but not all the way down the road to wherever it is you are going.

Some people have babies and/or children who are trying to sleep, along with most of America catching Z's at this time of night. Just because you are low on the totem pole at the fire station or ambulance station shift doesn't mean you need to play like you are going to a 12 alarm fire, when in all likelihood you are probably running on a traffic accident, fuel spill, or whatever other policy run your department now runs on besides fires.

Run em silent. Your lights light up the night sky plenty to let em know you are coming. It's doubtful there are blind people driving around at that hour.

/Rant

You're obviously not in emergency services.

Certain liabilities would be personally assumed by any officer who did not use all available and provided emergency warning devices to protect and alert traffic of approaching higher speed emergency vehicles.

If I need an ambulance or law enforcement assistance, turn on all the lights / sirens and give it the gas, please come as quickly and safely to my or my families aid as is possible. Please.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I didn't hear a thing last night.

Night before some idiot coon hunters were turning their mangy hounds loose to run the area tresspassing half the night. Then the fools would drive up and down the road, back and forth in thier red POS with out a muffler and an aluminum dog box in back.

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    OR you could just ask people to stop having accidents and to stop dying between the hours of 11pm-6am. Just sayin' :dunno:

Now there is the right idea.

Maybe we could have all the kids home by 4 p.m. and all the bars close about 5:30 p.m. ish.

Would sure cut down on those pesky emergency runs in the night.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    FWIW If the county does pass the savings of cutting some of those FT positions home owners would be looking at a decrease in prop taxes of probably 50 bucks a year, netting 57 a year.
    FWIW...for $57 dollars a year I'd prefer a staffed firehouse over a volunteer house that responds the majority of it's firemen from home.

I'm not knocking volunteers. They perform a valuable service and many communities depend on them...but for a buck a week...I want the firehouse staffed full time. :twocents:

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    LOL, jeesh.

I don't live near a firehouse. I live at LEAST 2 miles from one. But I can hear them coming that entire two miles, and the two miles as they pass. That's FOUR miles of sirens blaring at 2:00 am.

Ridiculous.

Maybe I will come over and run a chainsaw next to your window at 1:00 am, chip some brush at 2:00 am, then work on my truck engine, blowing heat through my glass packs at 3:00 am. I could be on a reverse schedule than the rest of the world, so that would be normal time for me. Sorry if it wakes you, but I have work that needs to be done.

Why not play loud bass thumping music all the while too?

Those are ALL sounds we hear everyday while we are awake, but for some reason, there are ORDINANCES that state we cannot make those noised between 11 pm - 6 am.

Whoopedeedoo if you are a firefighter? I could be a tree cutter, a mechanic, or the drummer in a rock and roll band. Each job requires a LOT of noise. Betcha wouldn't like to hear any of that while you were trying to sleep?

buffalo-springfield40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    LOL, jeesh.

I don't live near a firehouse. I live at LEAST 2 miles from one. But I can hear them coming that entire two miles, and the two miles as they pass. That's FOUR miles of sirens blaring at 2:00 am.

Ridiculous.

Maybe I will come over and run a chainsaw next to your window at 1:00 am, chip some brush at 2:00 am, then work on my truck engine, blowing heat through my glass packs at 3:00 am. I could be on a reverse schedule than the rest of the world, so that would be normal time for me. Sorry if it wakes you, but I have work that needs to be done.

Those are ALL sounds we hear everyday while we are awake, but for some reason, there are ORDINANCES that state we cannot make those noised between 11 pm - 6 am.

Whoopedeedoo if you are a firefighter? I could be a tree cutter, a mechanic, or the drummer in a rock and roll band. Each job requires a LOT of noise. Betcha wouldn't like to hear any of that while you were trying to sleep?
    geez....who pee'd in your wheaties this morning...if you useing your chainsaw at 2am helps save a life...knock yer self out...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    In defense of the OP, and in response to MConley's statement that it takes a minimum of 6 minutes and a maximum of 12 minutes for fire fighters to respond to a fire, it begs the question as to why bother paying taxes on something that inefficient in the first place.

Privatization would surely improve the numbers on that, and probably be cheaper to the taxpayer.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    I hate to tell ya Bill..........they do it to us too, more so in fact in our area than they do to the FD.

Have you heard or seen one of the new "thumper" sirens?? They are pretty cool. They project a deep bass forward with the tone of the siren so drivers actually feel and not just hear the siren. We don't have any yet but our Sheriff's Dept does, they will really get your attention.
    Found a video. The third cruiser in this video has the Rumbler that you're talking about.
    YouTube - Federal Signal Corp's New Rumbler Siren in Victoria, BC Canada

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    Really... huh. Color me surprised... I know you guys can DO something about someone failing to yield ROW.. All we can do is sit behind them and try to be noticed. I'll see if my director is interested in the "thumper". That should catch some attention. Great idea... Do you know who makes them?
    Federal Signal makes it.
    Rumbler | Sirens

My google-fu is strong tonight :D

Integraholic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    At home
    LOL, jeesh.

Ridiculous.

how_smart_i_am_today.jpg

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I used to get annoyed at the sounds of the AIRPLANES flying off 10 every 20 minutes at 1-2am (FedEx jets) AND the sirens at all hours of the night too, but the kids and I have gotten used to it so much that we don't hear it at night. You could also look into better sound proofing if it's that much of a bother. I wasn't used to it at first either when I moved up here to Plainfield. I lived in the Country and when we seen fire trucks, we took off after then to see if it was someone we knew and if we could help. Up here, it's an every few hours thing it seems like some nights, if not more frequent. It's just something that you either get used to or you don't. :dunno:

Top Bottom