Bartholomew County

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States

Great. And was out and about in New York yesterday.

A medical doctor who understands this disease should be prosecuted for that.

ETA: IF the story is true, he should be prosecuted. Breaking news often contains a lot of inaccuracies.

I don't want to see the CDC attempt to enforce quarantines. I do think that someone who clearly has had exposure should be told to self-quarantine and expect prosecution if they put others at risk. As GPIA says, several others who were supposedly well trained were also infected.

Last edited:

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Ebola is really hard to get but people who best know how to protect themselves from it keep getting it.

It still appears to be accurate to say that it's really hard to get from someone who is in the early stages of the disease.

Of course, it's also apparently accurate to say that we can't trust even intelligent, knowledgeable people to behave.

How do you explain a guy who sacrifices his time and puts himself at risk to treat others, then can't stand to stay home from a social event in New York?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Gov. Cuomo: New York Ebola patient came in contact with 4 people; all are in touch with health officials.

http://twitchy.com/2014/10/23/bill-...tweet&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=twitter

NYC Ebola patient went on a 3-mile run yesterday, took the A, 1 and L trains, then went bowling, Health Commish says

http://nypost.com/2014/10/23/nyc-do...w&utm_source=NYPTwitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow

Ebola patient timeline from hospital officials: 10/17 Arrived at JFK; 10/21 felt tired; 10/23 had fever, alerted officials.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Wonder if the others that came in contact with said Doctor could sue him for medical cost if they get Ebola? I mean my insurance only pays 80% of cost and I'm thinking the treatment could run into six figures easy.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Wonder if the others that came in contact with said Doctor could sue him for medical cost if they get Ebola? I mean my insurance only pays 80% of cost and I'm thinking the treatment could run into six figures easy.

Professionals are typically held accountable for issues in which they are well-educated. IMO, he should be sued if he infected someone.

How effective is the US "enhanced airport screening” if this doctor went through it on way to NYC and still tested positive for Ebola?
    We know that, by itself, it's not going to be effective for someone who is recently infected and not showing symptoms.

The CDC has also started a program that includes daily contact with anyone who traveled from a country with Ebola problems. I think this is a reasonably good plan. It hopefully makes people feel they will be managed and not ostracized. If you try to ban the travel, they are just going to come in from a different direction and be reluctant to talk to anyone. Of course, the plan also includes the idea that people come in and admit when they have a fever.

Hopefully, they expand to require isolation for even minor symptoms.

This doc called as soon as he had a temp. The prior 2 days he was "lethargic". Again, he wasn't likely contagious, but should have taken anything as a warning sign. And we are talking about a guy who KNEW how bad the disease is. More importantly he was in direct contact with Ebola patients. If he wasn't taking every precaution, it's fair to assume the average traveler speaking with a CDC agent is going to make screwups also.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States

Oh my. I never thought I'd agree with Piers Morgan. But I do

"NY officials congratulating each other for letting an infected Ebola doctor use the subway and go bowling? This is a bizarre presser. #nyc "

Yeah, they were reminding us how they are soooo prepared to handle it. And while I still don't think it's likely spread by casual contact, it was hard to get enthusiastic about their readiness while they talk about how the doc himself used good protocol while treating Ebola patients.
    We can explain why the nurses in Texas got infected. I'm not blaming them, but they weren't prepared. AFAIK, the more-prepared facilities in the US have treated cases without creating new cases.
    What I can't explain is this continuing handful of Docs without Borders infections.
    It seems like maybe we Americans are still a bit arrogant.

And I'm still concerned about the possibility of sporadic cases totalling more than we can take in those "well-prepared" facilities, which not only creates a facility issue but probably causes staff to be overworked and make mistakes.

There is no ideal way to handle this. If we don't continue to send personnel to the epidemic area, we have a bigger problem in the long run.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Oh snap.

Well, these isolated incidents are starting to become worrisome.

Once is luck.

Twice is a trend.

Three times is a habit.

Or something like that.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    How effective is the US "enhanced airport screening” if this doctor went through it on way to NYC and still tested positive for Ebola?

Airlines/Airports have long been used as a source of spreading disease in fiction.
    12 monkeys anyone????

And, while it may be fiction, ease of transport helps the spread of more than people.
    But, you're not going to stop it. How would you? Stop all airlines????

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    They are letting them fly in from other countries and fly all over the states and this damn thing still isnt spreading like wild fire. Apparently it is rather difficult to spread this disease in a 1st world country

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom