• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    2iuotch.jpg

The smoke from the cigarette and the tattoo are key. Their combined power keeps the evil spirits away.;)

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    2 weeks ago I got pulled into the office to talk about sales territory changes. "You've done a great job opening TX (3 deals working in Dallas). We want you to take over the Northeast patch. We need some traction in NYC". Ebola coming to Indy via hooky. :rockwoot:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Wife is sick. Had to bring her to the express clinic at a local grocery store. There are 3 signs within 6 feet of me that say, if you have traveled out of the US in the last 30 days, TELL US IMMEDIATELY. The first words outta the NP's mouth were not, good morning or what can I do for you. They were, have you traveled out of the US in the last 30 days.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    ...have you traveled out of the US in the last 30 days.

"Does DFW count?"

Anyway, the 2-year old ebola patient in Mali died. :(
    Ebola Mali: WHO Says 'Emergency' In Country After Many People Exposed To Possibly Contagious Girl

“The WHO is treating the situation in Mali as an emergency. The child’s symptomatic state during the bus journey is especially concerning, as it presented multiple opportunities for exposures -- including high-risk exposures -- involving many people,” the WHO said....

I'm still confused about whether you can get ebola on a bus, but I guess it depends on where the bus is.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    "Does DFW count?"

Anyway, the 2-year old ebola patient in Mali died. :(
    Ebola Mali: WHO Says 'Emergency' In Country After Many People Exposed To Possibly Contagious Girl

I'm still confused about whether you can get ebola on a bus, but I guess it depends on where the bus is.

If someone vomits on me and looks really ill, I'm going to be more concerned than I would have been a year ago.

Mali is a big question now: if that becomes new outbreak area, and if they are ready.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    If someone vomits on me and looks really ill, I'm going to be more concerned than I would have been a year ago.

Yeah, I get that. But at this point, let's say someone vomits on the seat of a bus in the morning and maintenance mops it up with soap and water. What's the risk in the afternoon?

Or, sweating with a 103 degree fever, gets bodily fluid all on a bus seat/handles and it doesn't get mopped up or disinfected. What's that risk?

Then, the policy decision about how much effort do we put in to mitigate those risks? After every bus route, spray down the surfaces with a bleach dilute?

I just don't know. The Mali child was on a bus while "symptomatic" (unclear which symptoms), and according to WHO that is described as "multiple opportunities for exposure." They are clearly worried about people who sat near this child on the bus. But, not buses in the US.

Redacted

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Westville
    Yeah, I get that. But at this point, let's say someone vomits on the seat of a bus in the morning and maintenance mops it up with soap and water. What's the risk in the afternoon?

Or, sweating with a 103 degree fever, gets bodily fluid all on a bus seat/handles and it doesn't get mopped up or disinfected. What's that risk?

Then, the policy decision about how much effort do we put in to mitigate those risks? After every bus route, spray down the surfaces with a bleach dilute?

I just don't know. The Mali child was on a bus while "symptomatic" (unclear which symptoms), and according to WHO that is described as "multiple opportunities for exposure." They are clearly worried about people who sat near this child on the bus. But, not buses in the US.
    Virus only survives on surfaces for roughly 2 hours.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States

Oh sorry! I thought you were making a point because the CDC director said you couldn't catch it on a bus, and now they are talking about the girl who rode the bus to Mali may have infected others.

I just don't know.
    Nobody knows. They have virus survival time surveys, but those are from hospital rooms that were disinfected with bleach before they took the samples. The consensus that so far is holding true is that people aren't VERY contagious until they have the worst symptoms and that the biggest problem is in blood, vomit, and feces of someone very sick with Ebola. The girl who dies in Mali (reportedly) had a bloody nose on the bus. That's very concerning, but how many days was that before she got real sick? My daughter gets a bloody nose all the time, so maybe the nosebleed had nothing to do with Ebola or isn't even true.

In the US we haven't yet had anyone walking the street during the worst stages of the illness. One hopes the 5-yr old boy in New York has a more typical virus. That is a problem I hadn't thought of until today. The "experts" talk about how Ebola makes you so sick that you aren't walking around in the worst stages. But kids get carried around. And kids go from "hey mom I'm tired" to "really sick" fast with some illnesses.

The reality is yeah, if someone with fulminating Ebola is out in public they could leave live virus around.

Virus only survives on surfaces for roughly 2 hours.
    That's a far more certain number than is indicated by any scientific information I have seen. The only evidence of virus surviving for many hours or days is virus that had some blood contamination, but you can't clearly answer how much microscopic blood contamination it takes to keep enough virus alive to infect someone. Nor can you be sure that virus in saliva won't survive somewhat longer, say for 8 hours. Nor can you be sure how many virus particles it takes to infect a particular individual.

There is another thread here somewhere where a presentation from Michael Osterholm, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease was linked. It was from a symposium on ebola at John Hopkins. He basically admitted there is a lot we don't know, and thinks the health officials should have been more honest about that.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom