• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Just nuke it from orbit outs the only way to be sure.
    On a serious note is it not ironic that a simple virus which lacks intellegence can wipe out the most advanced life form, humans, off the planet.

"Advanced"

200_s.gif

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Also, WHO projecting 5,000 to 10,000 new Ebola cases weekly by end of November (versus 1000 new cases weekly now)

I don't see how they can say that, based on their own numbers.

In fact, the most recent WHO update, with numbers as of Oct. 7 for Guinea and Liberia, and Oct. 8 for Sierra Leone, show 8376 cases and 4024 deaths. That is somewhat less than double from 30 days prior. Statistically speaking, that means the rate of infection is slowing down.

Now, the big caveat is: they may not care about numbers anymore. WHO may be basing the larger projections on an inside view of what's actually happening in those countries that tells them that they can't believe their own numbers. I recall Sierra Leone (I think) telling people they were on their own.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Rough notes on how a hospital should handle working with Ebola patients

There should be a separate gowning up room that is clean and it is the starting point of the journey.
    Then you are inspected for proper gear set up.
    Then you move to the hazard (patient) room that is dirty.
    When done you move to the decon room which is not the same room as the gowning up room.
    After decon and waiting for the solution to do its job you move to the gear removal area then decon again naked and wait
    Then move to a shower room and get dressed.
    The dressing room is not the same room as the gowning up room.
    All of these rooms should be in a line and travel is only one way through the area.
    Trash is now a whole separate issue with the same controls for protection and decon
    Where is the decon water/solution going to be held?

Don't forget special airflow for the ventilation system to work and not spread it back into the clean areas.
    I asked the hospitals I deal with if they have any set up like this and they all said no. ED have some basic decon setups but nothing like this. Every hospital has several rooms with negative pressure, but that does not include the hallways in front of these rooms. Newer hospitals have on average two negative pressure rooms per floor. Everything else listed above would have to be built for a hospital to do decon correctly.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The roadmap to one billion infections is through India and then it explodes into Asia. Can the world keep that from happening?

It appears there is growing concern the outbreak is going to jump borders in Africa due to desparate people fleeing those countries and corrupt people taking bribes. I hope I am wrong.

Not to quibble, but I think there are several routes to 1M ebola patients. India, as you mention, but also mainland China and even Brazil. That false alarm, with the thought of the virus rampant in the slums, should serve as a wakeup call, too.

But, at the same time, "so far, so good." At least, from a numbers perspective. If any country would be most likely to register new ebola patients, it seems like it would be Ivory Coast. It shares a border with both Guinea and Liberia. Yet, as far as we know, not a single infection.

Also, no "wild" cases in Europe. (I don't count the Spanish nurse, because that was a risk of bringing the infected patients "home" to die.)

I asked this earlier, but it bears repeating. At what point do other countries declare travel restrictions to/from the US?

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Not to quibble, but I think there are several routes to 1M ebola patients. India, as you mention, but also mainland China and even Brazil. That false alarm, with the thought of the virus rampant in the slums, should serve as a wakeup call, too.

Not to quibble, but he said a BILLION.;)

I think India is the best bet. China would not be squeamish in dealing with Ebola patients in ways that would rightly offend our western sensibilities.:twocents:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Dammit, Janet, you're right - he did say a billion! My bad. Hey, million infections here, million infections there, pretty soon you're talking a real pandemic.

Apologies longbow - yeah, to get to a billion, you'd have to go through India/Pakistan and then China. Either that or airborne anywhere.

Here's another thing - way before we get to multiple millions, people will stop counting. Too much will shut down. There won't be enough people to logistically handle the monitoring part of it. So, we may never know if it gets to a billion.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    LOngbow outlines why our presumed awesome "hygienic procedures" are easily overwhelmed.

Even with a few isolated cases of people like Duncan or the reporter who came home with this, you create problems in the healthcare system and waste disposal.

Again, though, the vaccine is very promising. I think the worst-case scenario, of overwhelming cases in Asia and South America, might then mean staying home for a while until vaccine has controlled areas surrounding the outbreaks, and then in high enough production to vaccinate anyone who wants/needs it. It's not an "unstoppable" infection if you can stay away from it for a while.

In other words, the worst enemy is stupid people who won't stay home if they are sick. And people who don't even have 3 days of food and water so that they can stay home and avoid the most crowded places.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    LOngbow outlines why our presumed awesome "hygienic procedures" are easily overwhelmed..

Why will our hospitals be easily overwhelmed ? Because they aren't military hospitals trained in the NBC aspects of medical care .

As a piggy back to longbow's post , folks might wanna read this thread https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...eparedness/297905-quarantine-bucket-idea.html .

If you haven't " prepped " for anything ever , you might wanna start cause with the dumbass in chief letting everybody and their brother in the country , IMO things will be getting worse .

Don't wait until your kids or neighbors get sick .

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Why will our hospitals be easily overwhelmed ? Because they aren't military hospitals trained in the NBC aspects of medical care . [/q]

Because, as he mentions, there are few separate isolation areas with negative pressure. AIUI, negative pressure wasn't part of the initial recommendations but it seems practical.

And how do you treat just 1 Ebola patient plus 3 suspects? Do you put the suspects at risk or figure out how to isolate them all separately?

Look at what happened in Dallas: over a truckload of hazardous waste to incinerate or autoclave. Getting that done is problematic.

The emergency room at that hospital was closed. That might be more caution than necessary, but it's not surprising no one wants to go.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    More from WHO, including a bit of explanation (for which I'm grateful):
    BBC News - Ebola crisis: Outbreak death toll rises to 4,447 says WHO
    There have been 8,914 cases overall, including the fatal cases, and the WHO says it expects this number to top 9,000 by the end of the week.
    The WHO estimates its figures by taking the numbers of confirmed cases and multiplying them - from Guinea by 1.5, from Sierra Leone by 2 and from Liberia by 2.5 - to account for under-reporting.

So, that suggests the reliability of the numbers from the various countries. (I sardonically wonder if they'll use a multiplier for US numbers. Or Spain.)

Assuming they've been consistent with those multipliers, it still only means a doubling in the last 30 days. Roughly the same growth rate as 30/60/90 days ago.

ETA:
    Crunched some numbers. Let's use the WHO recent update of 8,914. Let's round to 9k. On September 14, WHO reported 5,339 cases. Doubling that would get us to 10.6k. Clearly, their numbers are under that.

Before that, on August 13, there were 2,127 cases. Clearly, from Aug-Sept, there was a bit more than a doubling. Based on just the last 60 days, the REPORTS of cases is slowing. Basically, the same trajectory for deaths, too.

The polynomial growth rate would suggest just less than 14k in 30 days. But, the current actual numbers are a bit below that trendline. Frankly, a polynomial trendline that fits pretty well with the current curve suggests the numbers will max out at about 10k, before starting to decline in mid-November.

Having said that, I will be as surprised to see the numbers fall as I would be to see them add 10k in one week at this point.

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    According to the local news, 233 health care providers have been killed by Ebola. It includes those in East Africa but still the people who had some idea what they were dealing with.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Not a clue but leaning towards medical staff

Not sure of the source, but they link to a Twitter of the company CEO, so seems legit. Nurse's boyfriend got it.

Ebola Nurse Boyfriend Admitted With Ebola Symptoms

That would be problematic as all get out IMO as the CDC has repeatedly said that it's not contagious when you're not showing symptoms. I can't imagine the nurse being intimate with her boyfriend if she was showing symptoms.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I saw another story that said the boyfriend was admitted for "isolation and observation". Let's hope the "symptom" comment was a result of the telephone game and not true.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom