• ...and so much more!
  • Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Most times, rights should be respected foremost. There are times when one citizen may cause gross harm to another and refuses to refrain from that, that even a Libertarian should be able to agree, would warrant the intervention of the .gov. If somebody is carrying a potentially deadly disease, it's a severe violation of my rights for them to expose me to it. I'd take a little comfort in someone standing in the way of that. Communicability does not necessarily correspond with symptoms. Some diseases are communicable only before symptoms occur. I don't know about this one.

5.56'aholic

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    <- tragic boating accident
    Tell ya what; I'll keep turning a blind eye and thinkin happy thoughts. You head for the bunker and worry about what's "theoretically" possible. If baggage handlers from the airports in Brussels and Dallas start droppin like flies, I'll give you a big fat "YOU WERE RIGHT".:rolleyes:
    I hope you never have to. But it's irrational ignorance that is causing this virus to spread. Not screening these individuals is a grave mistake.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Most times, rights should be respected foremost. There are times when one citizen may cause gross harm to another and refuses to refrain from that, that even a Libertarian should be able to agree, would warrant the intervention of the .gov. If somebody is carrying a potentially deadly disease, it's a severe violation of my rights for them to expose me to it. I'd take a little comfort in someone standing in the way of that. Communicability does not necessarily correspond with symptoms. Some diseases are communicable only before symptoms occur. I don't know about this one.

I'm going to keep my eye on you. Things could go bad, so let's pray to government to save us? Is that your new motto?

hqdefault.jpg

angelpaul.jpg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I'm going to keep my eye on you. Things could go bad, so let's pray to government to save us? Is that your new motto?

hqdefault.jpg

Ummm, you do realize that Libertarians are cool with governmental salvation for ebola, right?

http://www.newsweek.com/libertarians-ebola-texas-274822

What's that catchy sound? *stomp, stomp, stomp*

It is the sound of Libertarian hobnailed boots on the pavement marching to imprison you for essential reasons. Libertarians don't believe in Liberty and Freedom. They only believe in government putting you in cages.

Shikha Dalmia, a senior analyst at Reason Foundation, the Libertarian think tank that publishes Reason magazine, explains to Newsweek the starting point of most Libertarian belief is a limited government that provides “essential” functions, such as national defense. But in certain circumstances—if a person had a deadly communicable disease and refused to isolate himself, for example—governmental intervention could be considered essential.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    In before Kirk derails thread with libertarian crusade...

Now, now, I didn't bring up the wookie s**t. Someone else did.

I will keep the pistol-whipping of the wookies to a minimum, and have been reminded to keep politics out. So, I rest on the last post and will cease and desist the blood letting.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Ummm, you do realize that Libertarians are cool with governmental salvation for ebola, right?

http://www.newsweek.com/libertarians-ebola-texas-274822

What's that catchy sound? *stomp, stomp, stomp*

It is the sound of Libertarian hobnailed boots on the pavement marching to imprison you for essential reasons. Libertarians don't believe in Liberty and Freedom. They only believe in government putting you in cages.

Shikha Dalmia, a senior analyst at Reason Foundation, the Libertarian think tank that publishes Reason magazine, explains to Newsweek the starting point of most Libertarian belief is a limited government that provides “essential” functions, such as national defense. But in certain circumstances—if a person had a deadly communicable disease and refused to isolate himself, for example—governmental intervention could be considered essential.
    “If you are a threat to other innocent people, that’s an act of aggression,” she says. “When someone has fatal disease, a deadly communicable disease, that’s an act of aggression to go around and expose other people to it.”

People die from contracting other illnesses less scary than ebola like the flu--are you committing an act of aggression if you go out while you have the flu, strep throat, or even the common cold?

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Uh, maybe you don't know. Maybe be the CDC, WHO, and researchers worldwide are lying to us, but they all seem to know...

WHO

CDC

Before the dude boarded the plane, his temperature was taken. If he had a fever, he would not have been allowed to board the plane.

Obviously you believe that. I DON'T. There is plenty to be concerned about especially since we've gone from one person quarantine to over 100 in less than 72 hours.

THE FEDS ARE LYING TO US.

skulhedface

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    east indy
    General off-topic NON-FIREARMS related discussion goes here! PS: No Politics!

It's a Liberian that has ebola, not a Libertarian.

Hoping Utah and Hawaii are just making up for the caution that Dallas didn't use the first time he went to the hospital.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Tell ya what; I'll keep turning a blind eye and thinkin happy thoughts. You head for the bunker and worry about what's "theoretically" possible. If baggage handlers from the airports in Brussels and Dallas start droppin like flies, I'll give you a big fat "YOU WERE RIGHT".:rolleyes:

As long as you don't vomit infected blood all over us, that's cool.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Ring isolation and containment is the only known long-term effective strategy against virulent disease. Ring vaccination eventually wiped out natural smallpox (note the qualifier of 'natural' in there), but it took ages and there was also developed a vaccine for smallpox. Isolation and containment are difficult to achieve with 100% effectiveness in a free society. We'll see how well it works and plays out. For anyone blaming government on understating the problem, imagine how badly this would go if they admitted precisely how out-of-control they truly are, and how much panic there would then be. After all, we have no one to blame but ourselves. We collectively elected and instituted a government that has treated our borders as non-existent, a government that has enacted nothing but security theater at our airports, a government that has banned 'profiling' people because it might hurt feelings, and now have and have had a government that will do its utmost to shift the blame onto anyone but they themselves when things almost inevitably spiral completely and wholly and totally out-of-control. Is anyone truly surprised by this non-revelation?

Spend less time complaining about how much of a :bs: artist Tom Scumsack Frieden is, and start being prepared by having enough water, food, and N100 masks on-hand in case you're quarantined for three weeks, and you'll have done more than the entirety of our national government at thwarting Ebola.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    People die from contracting other illnesses less scary than ebola like the flu--are you committing an act of aggression if you go out while you have the flu, strep throat, or even the common cold?

35,000 a year in the USA from the flu and that is with tons of people getting the vaccine. Maybe we should shoot and then burn anyone with the flu just to make sure. If it saves just one child......

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

Kirk, why do you hate Liberians?

:D

Back to the topic of ebola in Texas, it is disconcerting how quickly the medical people have shut up. I've been in crisis communication situations and it sucks. Especially when there are very real legal issues of confidentiality. At the same time, they seem to be hiding WAY more than they need to.

Top Bottom